2023 MLB Draft

Idig32

Hopefully, some ORU players hear their names called in this year’s draft. I figured this would be a good place to post about it if/when they do.

However, something that has struck me about the first round of the draft is how many of the picks were on teams that were in the College World Series. Of the teams ORU played, Florida had 2 guys picked in the first 29 picks, TCU had 1. Not to mention the other teams in the College World Series each had at least 1. It just makes what this year’s ORU team accomplished even more impressive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

The Milwaukee Brewers selected Omaha's Mike Boeve, Summit League 1st-Team third baseman, with the 54th pick (late second round) on Sunday, making him the highest Summit League draft pick since 2002 (Brad Hennessy, Youngstown State, No. 21 to the San Francisco Giants).

If that name comes as a bit of a surprise, perhaps it's because in four Maverick losses to the Golden Eagles this season, he logged merely respectable but not gaudy numbers :

• 4/6/23 at Omaha:  2-for-4, 1 run, no RBI's (W 5-4)
  • 4/7/23 at Omaha:  1-for-3, no runs or RBI's (W 16-9)
  • 4/8/23 at Omaha:  1-for-3, no runs or RBI's (W 8-5)
  • 5/24/23 Summit League 1st Round in Fargo, ND:  2-for-5, no runs or RBI's (W 9-2)

Props to the ORU pitchers and staff for containing one of the most talented players in the league this season.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The Milwaukee Brewers selected Omaha's Mike Boeve, Summit League 1st-Team third baseman, with the 54th pick (late second round) on Sunday, making him the highest Summit League draft pick since 2002 (Brad Hennessy, Youngstown State, No. 21 to the San Francisco Giants).

If that name comes as a bit of a surprise, perhaps it's because in four Maverick losses to the Golden Eagles this season, he logged merely respectable but not gaudy numbers :

• 4/6/23 at Omaha:  2-for-4, 1 run, no RBI's (W 5-4)
  • 4/7/23 at Omaha:  1-for-3, no runs or RBI's (W 16-9)
  • 4/8/23 at Omaha:  1-for-3, no runs or RBI's (W 8-5)
  • 5/24/23 Summit League 1st Round in Fargo, ND:  2-for-5, no runs or RBI's (W 9-2)

Props to the ORU pitchers and staff for containing one of the most talented players in the league this season.

Not to discount the draft of Hennessy, don't forget Alex (Chi Chi) Gonzalez being drafted #23 in the 2013 draft.

24 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Not to discount the draft of Hennessy, don't forget Alex (Chi Chi) Gonzalez being drafted #23 in the 2013 draft.

I made the mistake of trusting the Summit League press release re: Boeve; should have known better.  #smh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Upon further review:  ORU was on its two-year Southland Conference sojourn in 2013, the season Chi Chi was drafted.

And of course ORU had multiple players go in early rounds as an independent in the 70's and as a member of the Midwestern City Conference in the 80's, with the epitome being Mike Moore's selection by the Seattle Mariners as the No. 1 overall pick in 1981.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Upon further review:  ORU was on its two-year Southland Conference sojourn in 2013, the season Chi Chi was drafted.

And of course ORU had multiple players go in early rounds as an independent in the 70's and as a member of the Midwestern City Conference in the 80's, with the epitome being Mike Moore's selection by the Seattle Mariners as the No. 1 overall pick in 1981.

Ah, yes.....those two years in the bowels of the Southland Conference.  Sorry to have led you astray, @Old Titan!  How soon we forget. 🤣

• Haha 1

3 rounds have been completed....101 selections with no ORU players as of yet......TheEagleman is kind of surprised that Cade Denton isn't gone.....perhaps in the next round? 🙏:tb-white:🙏

4th round completed and still no ORU players....but a pair from Grand Canyon including one kid in the Top 10.....😮

Jonah Cox -- 2nd pick of the 6th round to the A's

Cade Denton -- 6 picks later to the Rockies

image.thumb.png.50a3bdb5ee28e94f0b0f37267c99cfe1.png

Poor Jonah....A's organization not the best but he could have a shot to see the big club in a place like that....also A's could eventually head to Vegas before the end of this decade.....and Cade heading to Coors Field also a tough assignment but it may take a few years to get there......Congrats to those 2 guys.......😎

• Like 1

The way that teams are always trading their players, both of these guys could wind up on different (better) clubs before long. I vote for sending them to the Orioles--my team!!

My team, the Texas Rangers, could use a closer....just sayin'.

Congrats to Jonah and Cade.  I wish them all the best in the next phase of their careers.

• Upvote 2

Jacob Widener taken by the Royals in the 9th round with the 259th pick.  The slot value is $183,200.  I wish him the best if he decides to turn pro but he could be a player who could increase his value with another year in college.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I vote for sending them to the Orioles--my team!!

Now what did they ever do to deserve that?? 😉

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Now what did they ever do to deserve that?? 😉

The O's are making some noise this year. We just have to knock Tampa Bay out of first place... 🙂 

• Like 1

Widener gets drafted by another baseball wasteland....the KC Royals....with that slot value he might be best served coming back to ORU and being our closer.....but KC does have the Chiefs and some really good BBQ.......tough call for Jacob.....😎

Mike Moore was drafted first in the 1981 MLB draft as a Junior going to the Seattle Mariners as a pitcher.  Kelvin Torve was taken 36th overall by the San Francisco Giants, he too was a Junior and was a first baseman.  Taken 60th overall that year (1981) was Tom Nieto by the St. Louis Cardinals.  He also was a Junior and was a catcher.  Perhaps one of the best years for ORU in the MLB draft.

BTW,  Moore pitched for the A's in the '89 World Series when the A's swept the San Francisco Giants in four games.  Mike started and won 2 of those 4 games as the A's pitcher.

• Like 1