MLB Draft

Otis 83

38 minutes ago, John Caravalho said:

Jonah hasn’t signed yet, but I don’t know if he entered the portal… I hope not, and remember he is a middle infielder, which if he stays here at ORU could be a possibility… 

The Athletics have already spent $10,000,000.00 of their pool money which is just over &14,000,000.00

Welcome to the board, John.  We are so glad to have you in the conversation about ORU baseball.

ORU seems like such a good fit for Jonah.  And you're right....we are losing our middle infield and Jonah could fit right in there easily - possibly opening up a spot for Sam Thompson and his speed.  Even if Jonah enters the portal, he could come back but it would be wise for him to be open with Folmar and staff as to his intentions for going through the portal and to keep a spot open for him.

• Like 1

I found these two draft trackers for the A's and the Royals at MLB.com.  I assume they will be updated daily.  Each club has until 5 p.m. ET on Tuesday, July 25, to come to terms with its Draft selections.   

So far, the A's have saved money on their college draft picks to go over slot value on their HS picks.  Perhaps they were waiting to see how things shake out before getting into serious discussions with Jonah.  They have signed everyone drafted ahead of Jonah and everyone behind him in their draft order is a college player so we may see the rest of their draft class sign shortly.  We shall see.  

The Royals still have a lot of work to do.  According to the MLB draft tracker they have only signed their first pick but were able to sign him for about $1 million below slot value.

https://www.mlb.com/news/athletics-2023-draft-signings-tracker

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-2023-draft-signings-tracker

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

It will be interesting to see what Jonah Cox does.  His draft slot is valued at $354K and based on the A's draft picks that have signed, they are low-balling all the signees (Moneyball in action???).  Does a draft pick snub $350K or take his chances on a higher pick in next year's draft?

Question answered......

• Upvote 1

Interesting that Denton got $200K more than Cox.....TheEagleman thinks that Jonah might be the better prospect....but what do I know.....A's are notoriously CHEAP.... 😬

Denton looks in control on the mound.  He has a confidence most college pitchers do not have.  He seems to place the ball right where he wants it to go.  I suspect he will do well in the minors and will make a major league roster in the future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

Pretty amazing that we beat them (at least at the important time)!

May be an illustration of 8 people and text that says 'Drafted. . DRAFT PICKS PROGRAM HISTORY ala DBU FOURTH HIGHEST TOTAL IN THE NATION DBU T'

They were a good team and that was a great win!

• Upvote 4

On 7/18/2023 at 4:11 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Interesting that Denton got $200K more than Cox.....TheEagleman thinks that Jonah might be the better prospect....but what do I know.....A's are notoriously CHEAP.... 😬

Goes back to Charlie Finley in the 1970's. He wouldn't pay his players yet won 3 world series.

Though it was inevitable, free agency came sooner than later because Finley wouldn't pay a team that won 3 world series in a row (which will never happen again) and could have won more! 

KC Royals signed their 8th, 9th, and 10th round picks, including Jacob Widener.  Terms of the signing have yet to be released, but he is a Royals member now.  Congratulations, Jacob.  Go do good things!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

KC Royals signed their 8th, 9th, and 10th round picks, including Jacob Widener.  Terms of the signing have yet to be released, but he is a Royals member now.  Congratulations, Jacob.  Go do good things!!

Hard to get ahead of you Bogus!  The draft tracker I posted above has been updated to indicate that Jacob signed.  It reports that Jacob signed for $137,500 (Pick value: $183,200).  Happy for Jacob and look forward to seeing how all of our former players progress with their respective teams.  

2 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Hard to get ahead of you Bogus!  The draft tracker I posted above has been updated to indicate that Jacob signed.  It reports that Jacob signed for $137,500 (Pick value: $183,200).  Happy for Jacob and look forward to seeing how all of our former players progress with their respective teams.  

Hmmmm......at that price, I would have considered going back to the college ranks - either back to ORU or to a P5 school (which I am sure he could have gotten).  For $137,500, you have to think hard about betting on yourself and thinking that if I can get to the sixth round and get $500K, you just made 263% on your money (so to speak) for one year.  Of course, you take the chance of injury and get nothing, but if you are betting on yourself does that really matter?? 🤔

Regardless, I am happy for Jacob and glad that he has gotten into the pro ranks.  Hope he has a good financial manager for the bonus money because the money made in the minor leagues is paltry to what could be gotten in The Show.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Hmmmm......at that price, I would have considered going back to the college ranks - either back to ORU or to a P5 school (which I am sure he could have gotten).  For $137,500, you have to think hard about betting on yourself and thinking that if I can get to the sixth round and get $500K, you just made 263% on your money (so to speak) for one year.  Of course, you take the chance of injury and get nothing, but if you are betting on yourself does that really matter?? 🤔

Regardless, I am happy for Jacob and glad that he has gotten into the pro ranks.  Hope he has a good financial manager for the bonus money because the money made in the minor leagues is paltry to what could be gotten in The Show.

I was thinking the same thing, Bogus, even at the slot value price.  We recently hired a young woman who is an ORU grad and worked in the athletic department during and after school.  Earlier this week we were talking about Jacob and I said to her that if I were him, I'd look at Denton's signing bonus and consider what a year as the ORU closer could earn me.  I also told her that I would personally pay his career ending injury insurance policy if he would come back...LOL.

In any event, I join you in being happy for Jacob.  If he's reading this and needs some financial advice....send me a PM!!!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, ORob2 said:

I guess Holden Breeze has another year of eligibility?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwOXRKjOWP2/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

That's correct.  Someone in the math department must have gone back through the numbers and determined he had one more year! 🤣

Seriously, we talked with his parents at the CWS and they were talking about this being his last year and his last game(s), so there wasn't an expectation of his return; however, I will take a Holden Breeze back any time, if he's available.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jacob Widener was promoted by the Royals to their Single-A team in Columbia.  He pitched an inning (16 pitches) for them tonight with 2Ks and 1 Ground Out.  Seems like all our guys that have transitioned to pro ball are doing well adjusting.  Let's hope that they continue to progress through the ranks in the next few years.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...