MLB Draft

Otis 83

I thought it might be helpful to post this in this sub as we speculate and analyze possible losses to the draft. This may be common knowledge for many of you but I can never remember when college players can be drafted. 

From MLB Draft Rule 4:  Players who have graduated high school but not attended college are eligible for the draft, as are those who have completed at least one year of junior college. Players attending four-year colleges are eligible to be drafted upon completing their junior year or turning 21 years old.

• Upvote 3

With @Bogus Smith’s permission I am crossposting his thorough roster analysis. 

It is confusing with the "Covid year", but those that are eligible for the draft, include:

Redshirt Sophomores - could potentially be back if they don't transfer (unless noted)
    Dylan Wipperman
    Prince Allman
    Jacob Widener - scouts were out to look at Jacob specifically

Juniors - could potentially be back if they don't transfer (unless noted)
    Jonah Cox - should be drafted
    Ryan Blackwell
    Caleb Isaacs
    Garrett Casey
    Connor Floyd
    Max Lucas
    Drew Stahl
    Ryan Tressler
    Reed Ronan
    Cade Denton - should be drafted

Redshirt Juniors - may have another year (unless noted)
    Holden Breeze - no more eligibility
    Sam Thompson
    Preston Baumgartner

Seniors - may have a Covid year available (unless noted)
    Jake McMurray - no more eligibility
    Blaze Brothers - no more eligibility
    Justin Quinn
    Jacob Godman
    Evan Kowalski

Transfer Seniors - no more eligibility
    Matt Hogan - should be drafted
    Harley Gollert - may be drafted
    Mac McCroskey - should be drafted
    Andrew Roach

Some of the baseball players that read the board may be able to provide some updates to this list as I don't know all the players' situations and opportunities.  I hope all our players get the opportunity to be drafted or sign free agent contracts if they aren't drafted.  Regardless, we are looking forward to seeing those that remain and those that come into the program develop into "next-level" players.

MLB draft is less than a week away.  The final "MLB top 250 prospects" has been published, which covers roughly the first eight of the total twenty rounds.

Jonah Cox and Cade Denton are both projected to be drafted in the late fifth to mid-sixth rounds, with no other ORU players mentioned.

If this is accurate, it will be interesting to see whether Jonah and/or Cade choose to begin their careers in professional baseball or return to ORU for their senior year in an attempt to raise their draft stock.  The slot value for a pick in this range would be between $250 and $350K.  I would expect that their decision would also be based on what organization drafts them, and whether they have confidence in the development program offered by that team.

With all of the hype surrounding ORU's CWS run, Jonah's hit streak and Cade's selection as "National Closer of the Year", it's hard to imagine their draft stock improving over the next year.  For their sakes, I'm hopeful that they will both be drafted in earlier rounds, even though this would certainly end their ORU careers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Otis 83 said:

With @Bogus Smith’s permission I am crossposting his thorough roster analysis. 

It is confusing with the "Covid year", but those that are eligible for the draft, include:

Redshirt Sophomores - could potentially be back if they don't transfer (unless noted)
    Dylan Wipperman
    Prince Allman
    Jacob Widener - scouts were out to look at Jacob specifically

Juniors - could potentially be back if they don't transfer (unless noted)
    Jonah Cox - should be drafted
    Ryan Blackwell
    Caleb Isaacs
    Garrett Casey
    Connor Floyd
    Max Lucas
    Drew Stahl
    Ryan Tressler
    Reed Ronan
    Cade Denton - should be drafted

Redshirt Juniors - may have another year (unless noted)
    Holden Breeze - no more eligibility
    Sam Thompson
    Preston Baumgartner

Seniors - may have a Covid year available (unless noted)
    Jake McMurray - no more eligibility
    Blaze Brothers - no more eligibility
    Justin Quinn
    Jacob Godman
    Evan Kowalski

Transfer Seniors - no more eligibility
    Matt Hogan - should be drafted
    Harley Gollert - may be drafted
    Mac McCroskey - should be drafted
    Andrew Roach

Some of the baseball players that read the board may be able to provide some updates to this list as I don't know all the players' situations and opportunities.  I hope all our players get the opportunity to be drafted or sign free agent contracts if they aren't drafted.  Regardless, we are looking forward to seeing those that remain and those that come into the program develop into "next-level" players.

In considering the 14 key players in 2023 (eight field positions, DH, four starters and closer):

Definitely gone (eligibility expired) - 

McMurray, Brothers, McCroskey and Breeze (the entire infield!)

Harley Gollert (Saturday starter)

Matt Hogan (HR leader)

Likely gone (will be drafted) - 

Jonah Cox (Summit League POY)

Cade Denton (National Closer of the Year)

Could return (COVID year eligible) - 

Justin Quinn

Jacob Godman

Likely to return - 

Jakob Hall, Brooks Fowler, Joshua Caravalho (three of four starters)

Drew Stahl

Lots of holes to fill, but the cupboard won't be bare - and the recruiting and transfer portal (in) opportunities should be off the charts!

If I missed something, please update...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

In considering the 14 key players in 2023 (eight field positions, DH, four starters and closer):

Definitely gone (eligibility expired) - 

McMurray, Brothers, McCroskey and Breeze (the entire infield!)

Harley Gollert (Saturday starter)

Matt Hogan (HR leader)

Likely gone (will be drafted) - 

Jonah Cox (Summit League POY)

Cade Denton (National Closer of the Year)

Could return (COVID year eligible) - 

Justin Quinn

Jacob Godman

Likely to return - 

Jakob Hall, Brooks Fowler, Joshua Caravalho (three of four starters)

Drew Stahl

Lots of holes to fill, but the cupboard won't be bare - and the recruiting and transfer portal (in) opportunities should be off the charts!

If I missed something, please update...

Josh Caravalho is returning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From the Dallas Morning News article titled:
Here are 10 Dallas-area baseball players — from the high school and college ranks — to watch for in the upcoming MLB draft.

Cade Denton, P, Oral Roberts

MLB.com rank: 184

Baseball America rank: 464

The rundown: Denton, who played for Dallas Christian and Rowlett in high school, reeled in a truckload of accolades this spring. The 6-foot-3 righthander was named the Summit League Pitcher of the Year, a first-team All-American by Baseball America, Perfect Game and Rawlings, and the Stillwater Regional Most Outstanding Player. He posted a 1.83 ERA with 86 strikeouts in 64 innings pitched, and led Oral Roberts to the College World Series.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

ESPN’s Kiley McDaniel ranks Jonah Cox 163 and Cade Denton 213 in his Top 300 Prospects list. I would provide a link but it is behind the ESPN+ paywall and…you know. 

• Upvote 1

• Otis 83 changed the title to MLB Draft

I found this article on mlb.com to be full of a lot of good information about the draft. It also guides you to some Twitter accounts you can follow to get draft updates.  I guess not everyone on the board is on Twitter since we keep getting posts from @ORUBaseball on Twitter.  I assume everyone on Twitter has already seen them.....but I digress.

The article also has a link to the Prospects Ranking that @TrueBlue82 referred to in one of his insightful posts in this thread.  The ranking includes a nifty drop down so you can search for a particular player.  So I can save some of you some time.  They have Cade Denton ranked 184 and Jonah Cox at 161 fwiw.  That puts them in the 5th or 6th round I believe....just like TB82 said LOL.

• Upvote 1

Cade got a premium signing bonus for his draft pick.  If you look at some of the other picks signing on this person's posts, you'll see some variations from the slot's value.  Good luck to Cade as he gets going in the pros!

Geez.....that's a GREAT DEAL for Cade Denton...don't blame him for passing up a final year at ORU for a $500K signing bonus....best of luck with the Rockies organization.  😎

• Like 1

If they move Cade into a starting pitcher role, he is going to need another pitch that he commands (i.e., change-up, splitter, etc.).  His velocity will stay in the low 90's as he will have to pitch for five innings or more. 

As a closer, you usually go all-out for an inning and pick up the save.  He touched 100 mph in the Stillwater Regional, so he can sling it pretty good as long as he isn't doing it for a long period of time.

It will be interesting to see what Jonah Cox does.  His draft slot is valued at $354K and based on the A's draft picks that have signed, they are low-balling all the signees (Moneyball in action???).  Does a draft pick snub $350K or take his chances on a higher pick in next year's draft?

• Upvote 1

If they are low balling Jonah then he should just come back to ORU....who wants to play for that organization anyway??....unless of course they move to Vegas which has been rumored.....that would increase attendance and obviously provide a brand new stadium which would bring in a lot more revenue.....🤑

• Like 1

Jonah hasn’t signed yet, but I don’t know if he entered the portal… I hope not, and remember he is a middle infielder, which if he stays here at ORU could be a possibility… 

The Athletics have already spent $10,000,000.00 of their pool money which is just over &14,000,000.00

• Upvote 3

The Athletics will move to Vegas! I am a Bay Area sports fan, and have watched the Athletics try to build in the Bay Area for over 20 years. Oakland politics and Alameda county are a mess! They are about to lose their 3 major sports franchise in a decade🤦🏽‍♂️