Ashton Smith - Transfer (Texas A&M)

ORUalum

5 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Ashton has the rare combination of size/strength and leaping ability.  Usually a big man has one or the other but rarely both.  On a side note has ORU ever had two guys on a roster that played on the same high school team (Herron and Smith)? Maybe a first?

We had it last season! Vanover & McBride were high school teammates. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Ashton has the rare combination of size/strength and leaping ability.  Usually a big man has one or the other but rarely both.  On a side note has ORU ever had two guys on a roster that played on the same high school team (Herron and Smith)? Maybe a first?

@ORU40 is right about Vanover and McBride being on the same high school team.  I believe Herron and Smith were on the same AAU team, but played at different high schools in the Houston area.  Their coach is correct that we seem to be getting a very high-caliber, high-quality person in Ashton.  I think that he can mesh well with our team chemistry and, if he is willing to work and be coached, could be a special player for ORU.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Time will tell whether or not this kid can play a lick, but I always love signing big men who are unlike anyone else in the paint at the XDSU’s, and this dude certainly fits the profile.

Offensively, couldn’t care less whether he can shoot a three or even a 15-footer; if he can get to shooting 75% at the line and 65% at the rim, it’s all good…

Agreed. A big man that focuses playing like a big man. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Time will tell whether or not this kid can play a lick, but I always love signing big men who are unlike anyone else in the paint at the XDSU’s, and this dude certainly fits the profile.

Offensively, couldn’t care less whether he can shoot a three or even a 15-footer; if he can get to shooting 75% at the line and 65% at the rim, it’s all good…

Being able to spend five minute stretches on the court without fouling will also be a huge key to success. 

• Upvote 4

On 6/24/2023 at 11:58 AM, ORU82 said:

How about Mark and Jeff Acres?

Oh yea….those guys!

To Keenan: Both Jeff and Mark Acres played at ORU, at the same time in the early '80s. Jeff came as a 6'7" point guard, who grew to 6'9". Mark was a 6'10" forward, who was Parade All-American his senior year at Palos Verdes High School, in Palos Verdes Estates CA. At ORU they played together for three years.

1 hour ago, 74Titan said:

To Keenan: Both Jeff and Mark Acres played at ORU, at the same time in the early '80s.

Just to clarify for the younger board followers, that was the 1980's not the 1880's! 

• Haha 6

Both were drafted in the 1985 NBA draft.  Jeff Acres went in the 7th round/140th overall to the Indiana Pacers.  His brother Mark went in the 2nd round/40th overall to the Dallas Mavericks.  His career was from 1985 to 1998 and besides the Mavericks he was with the Boston Celtics, Orlando Magic, Houston Rockets and Washington Bullets.

Thanks for the answer to the question: what guys played high school ball together and also were at ORU together.  So it was basically only two sets: Mark and Jeff Acres and McBride/Connor.  Good to know.

It is still rare for 50 years of ORU basketball.  Herron and Smith are listed as both going to Legacy School of Sports in Houston.  So maybe the third set will lace up in 23-24 together. 

14 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Thanks for the answer to the question: what guys played high school ball together and also were at ORU together.  So it was basically only two sets: Mark and Jeff Acres and McBride/Connor.  Good to know.

Those are the two sets of HS teammates that I know of, there were also several really good players in the 70's that were all from Chatanooga, Tenn., including ORU greats Richard Fuqua, Anthony Roberts and Eddie Woods and a few others. Chatanooga was Coach Trickey's prime recruiting location. Maybe some of the guys that were around campus in the 70's or the board's crack research staff will know if any of the Chatanooga guys were HS teammates?

10 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Those are the two sets of HS teammates that I know of, there were also several really good players in the 70's that were all from Chatanooga, Tenn., including ORU greats Richard Fuqua, Anthony Roberts and Eddie Woods and a few others. Chatanooga was Coach Trickey's prime recruiting location. Maybe some of the guys that were around campus in the 70's or the board's crack research staff will know if any of the Chatanooga guys were HS teammates?

Just what I was thinking!