2023 College World Series Game #9 - ORU vs. TCU

Old Titan

Brooks Fowler takes the ball in the elimination rematch with the Frogs at 1pm Tuesday.

Would be great to get a few innings out of him; I’m at a loss to remember the last time an ORU starting pitcher went more than five innings?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If Fowler doesn't go deep Folmar almost has to use a new pitcher every inning (no more than two innings) just so the bullpen arms have something left in the tank for the upcoming game(s) with Florida, should they beat TCU today. Which they will!!!!!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Brooks Fowler takes the ball in the elimination rematch with the Frogs at 1pm Tuesday.

Would be great to get a few innings out of him; I’m at a loss to remember the last time an ORU starting pitcher went more than five innings?

Harley Gollert went 7 innings in the Summit League Tournament opener against Omaha. Since then, there have been several quality starts of exactly five innings, which would be my hope for Fowler today. 

It’s also a mystery to me why Joshua Caravalho has not taken the mound since finishing the final two innings of that opening game against Omaha over three weeks ago.  He was a very effective mid-week starter against top-notch competition during the regular season.  If he’s not injured, I would question whether he would be in good form after a three week layoff.  But, while I have questions, I’m pretty confident the National Coach of the Year knows what he is doing!

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

It’s also a mystery to me why Joshua Caravalho has not taken the mound since finishing the final two innings of that opening game against Omaha over three weeks ago.  He was a very effective mid-week starter against top-notch competition during the regular season.  If he’s not injured, I would question whether he would be in good form after a three week layoff.  But, while I have questions, I’m pretty confident the National Coach of the Year knows what he is doing!

Great minds think alike TB82.  I've mentioned Caravalho several times since we got to Omaha when talking about how deep our bullpen is.  In making that argument I also cited his strong mid-week game performance.  I'm in no position to question Coach Fulmer's judgement either so I also wonder if there isn't more to this story line.  

I did talk briefly to Joshua's father during Game 1 against TCU so I know his Dad's here fwiw.

In other news, it appears we are the home team again today.  I suppose this is because we are coming down from the winner's bracket.  It will be nice to get last licks but it is my hope that isn't necessary.  Go Golden Eagles!

:shield-logo:

• Like 2

Last licks won't mean anything if they don't stop leaving men on base!! Go Eagles!! Just frustrated 

• Like 1

A win today would put ORU in baseball's version of the Final Four, which would be the first time in school history!  Of course, TCU would like to get some revenge after watching game 1 slip through their fingers.  The Eagles need to get off to a better start and not have to always come back from being down 3-4 runs.  God bless ORU today!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Besides watching the Golden Eagles I have been following the Tigers of LSU throughout the Tournament.  Observing that team makes me appreciate Coach Folmer even more.  Saturday night I watched as they left their starting pitcher in for 7+ innings with about 123 pitches thrown.  Granted he did an amazing job and was scary good.  Then last night I watched LSU again ride their starter through about 100+ pitches even when he began to lose his touch and load the bases.  I sat there thinking to myself and telling my wife they need to put in a reliever and they did not.  I believe based upon the final score that this may have cost LSU a victory over Wake.  So again, it makes me appreciate what Coach Folmer does with our team and resources.

I haven't followed LSU very closely so I don't know if what I am about to say applies to them or not.

ORU has the luxury of having a very strong bullpen.  Denton gets all the PR, and it is well deserved, but before Cade comes into close, Coach Fulmer has multiple options.  That was on display in the Florida game where we shut Florida down in the final 5 innings by the combined effort of 3 different relievers none of whom are named Cade Denton.  In addition, Coach still had Caleb Isaacs and Joshua Caravalho (as far as we know) at his disposal.

I don't think there are many D1 teams that have the kind of deep bullpen that we have.  Is that why the LSU coach is leaving his starters in for so long?  I don't know if that's the case but I do know that is the case at a lot of D1 schools.

Being the father of a former pitcher, who watched his son's pitch count very closely, I have great admiration for Coach Fulmer and the way he manages the arms of these young men.

• Upvote 4

Guessing Caravalho would be starting tomorrow if ORU can win today....then again, we might come back with Hall vs. Florida....we would have to beat the Gators twice tomorrow to advance so opportunity is there for Joshua.....but Good Guys not gonna get that far if Cox doesn't start hitting....Mr. 47 in a row is now 1-9 in the CWS....need a multi hit game today from the Summit League POY and some hits with RISP......hopefully ORU can get it done this afternoon....GO BLUE!!! :shield-logo:

No double-header to worry about on Wednesday:  the semi-finals for both sides of the bracket are tomorrow; any “if necessary” game(s) would be Thursday, and the finals start Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

No double-header to worry about on Wednesday:  the semi-finals for both sides of the bracket are tomorrow; any “if necessary” game(s) would be Thursday, and the finals start Saturday. 

I had to get back to Austin and try to get a little work done this week, but if I want to take my chances on Allegiant Air, I can get back Thursday morning for that "if necessary" game at either 1pm (if the other bracket also has a game) or 6pm!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fowler just needs to make them put the ball in play. He's got great movement today and is going to be hard to square up, but can't keep walking guys.

6 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

Fowler just needs to make them put the ball in play. He's got great movement today and is going to be hard to square up, but can't keep walking guys.

Agree 100%.  Throw strikes and trust that defense.

Wasted opportunity in the 3rd...hot hitter in Blaze and you have him bunting?....then terrible ABs by McCloskey and Quinn.....Gotta get some runs there...... BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! 😬

Guess Coach Folmar not saving Caravalho for tomorrow....it's do or die today vs. Horned Frogs.....need the bats to wake up here!!  🙏

Balk?!?!?!?.....just another unforced error....very costly......🙄