Ryan Folmar

Old Titan

Following such an incredible 2023 campaign and a likely slam-dunk for his sixth Summit League COY honor this week, am I being too much of a Debbie Downer to be concerned about Ryan Folmar being poached by a Power 5 program at season's end?

Considering ORU has had not one but two head baseball coaches leave for assistant coaching gigs at P5's (Sunny Gollaway to Oklahoma; Rob Walton to Oklahoma State), I'm guessing that a "big boy" head coaching spot would likely offer a salary and perks that ORU can't/won't match, not to mention the added benefit of potentially qualifying for a 3-Seed-or-better each season without even having to win your conference tournament.

This 2022-23 school year will presumably be only the third season in ORU history to feature conference Coach of the Year recipients in both Men's Basketball and Baseball (Scott Sutton and Sunny Gollaway in '01-'02, Sutton and Rob Walton in '07-'08).

Here's hoping this is not the first school year where ORU's two recently-crowned COY's both leave for greener pastures within weeks of each other. 😬

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Following such an incredible 2023 campaign and a likely slam-dunk for his sixth Summit League COY honor this week, am I being too much of a Debbie Downer to be concerned about Ryan Folmar being poached by a Power 5 program at season's end?

Considering ORU has had not one but two head baseball coaches leave for assistant coaching gigs at P5's (Sunny Gollaway to Oklahoma; Rob Walton to Oklahoma State), I'm guessing that a "big boy" head coaching spot would likely offer a salary and perks that ORU can't/won't match, not to mention the added benefit of potentially qualifying for a 3-Seed-or-better each season without even having to win your conference tournament.

This 2022-23 school year will presumably be only the third season in ORU history to feature conference Coach of the Year recipients in both Men's Basketball and Baseball (Scott Sutton and Sunny Gollaway in '01-'02, Sutton and Rob Walton in '07-'08).

Here's hoping this is not the first school year where ORU's two recently-crowned COY's both leave for greener pastures within weeks of each other. 😬

Insightful stuff here. I was wondering about Folmar’s status this season. 

Know any big schools that need a new HC or top Asst?

I have thought the same thing, OT.  The one thing that kept Rob Walton at ORU was the fact that he didn't have a college degree and most P5 institutions have an earned degree as a minimum requirement.  By Rob going to OSU, he was able to finish his degree while the pitching coach and is now a qualified candidate.  Rob's issue currently is that he makes more money as the pitching coach at OSU than most head coaching jobs around the country (golden handcuffs).

Ryan doesn't have the same issues.  He is a college graduate that has a proven his ability to coach.  If a P5 school comes courting Ryan, ORU will not be able to compete with them in terms of dollars and perks.  ORU may have the culture and environment, but we aren't going to compete in terms of salaries and NIL.

There will be plenty of jobs open up after this season.  We can only hope that Ryan Folmar is willing to continue to stay around and build his program at ORU, but I want what is best for Ryan's and his family's future, too.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

Folmar's daughter is scheduled to go to ORU next year participating on the cheer squad.  That may help.  

That’s what you call insider scoop. Mrs. Smith with the intel.Sean Connery GIF by James Bond 007

• Upvote 1

Folmar not going anywhere in the opinion of TheEagleman....he's not Casey Stengel but probably does deserve a nice bump in salary for this wonderful season....maybe some of you know what the status of his contract might be?......Ryan is a good representative for ORU and is a PA native from Chambersburg.....a co-worker of mine knows the family from HS......here's hoping we take the Summit League Title and do well in the regionals....maybe bigger schools come testing the waters if ORU makes a Super Regional but short of that....I just don't see it unless it's his Alma Mater OSU......:oru:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Folmar not going anywhere in the opinion of TheEagleman....he's not Casey Stengel but probably does deserve a nice bump in salary for this wonderful season....maybe some of you know what the status of his contract might be?......Ryan is a good representative for ORU and is a PA native from Chambersburg.....a co-worker of mine knows the family from HS......here's hoping we take the Summit League Title and do well in the regionals....maybe bigger schools come testing the waters if ORU makes a Super Regional but short of that....I just don't see it unless it's his Alma Mater OSU......:oru:

Happy Lets Go GIF by HBO MaxWell said!

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

👀 😬

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

well I can just hope folmar stays. 

Those 2 losses to ORU probably didn't help......wonder if they will consult a certain basketball coach????? :hc_mills:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

👀 😬

GUARANTEED that Ryan Folmar will be on the short list.  It will be hard for ORU to compete with the financial resources available to WSU Athletics.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

GUARANTEED that Ryan Folmar will be on the short list.  It will be hard for ORU to compete with the financial resources available to WSU Athletics.

Here's hoping the relatively-new WSU athletic director is not interested in putting all his coaching eggs in an ORU basket.*

*does that metaphor even make sense?? LOL

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

*does that metaphor even make sense?? LOL

Only if they are Golden Eagle eggs that we're talking about.  🤣

Agreed that it would appear that they are transferring ORU coaches for WSU coaches.  Albeit coincidental and unique, it shows the quality of the coaching staff that ORU has been able to develop (they weren't top-shelf quality when they were first hired).

35 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Those 2 losses to ORU probably didn't help......wonder if they will consult a certain basketball coach????? :hc_mills:

The answer is yes for 500

It is possible that as WSU has gotten to know Coach Mills, there may be things they both like and dislike.  So they may not want to double dip in the ORU basket.

I would think there is a vast array of coaching options from assistants at Big Power 5 programs to head coaches from several mid-major conferences.  I would start with Rob Walton if I were them.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ORUJason said:

I would think there is a vast array of coaching options from assistants at Big Power 5 programs to head coaches from several mid-major conferences.  I would start with Rob Walton if I were them.

WSU will be hard pressed to be able to pay Rob what he is making at OSU as an assistant coach.  Based on the state employee's website, his salary is $430,400 (plus benefits).  For a coach from ORU, Louisiana, or other mid-majors in the NCAA regionals, it would be an upgrade in pay.

Update:

After looking at this with WSU information, the previous head coach was getting paid $450,000 until the end of the 2026 season.  If a donor (or taxpayers) is helping out with that commitment, the Wheat Shockers may be willing to help Walton make the move to Wichita.

Fantastic win by the Eagles over OSU in the regional opener! Unfortunately, the better we play and the further we advance, makes coach Folmar a that much more valuable commodity!  But we can deal with that later, keep winning coach!!

• Like 2