Coach Springmann on The Blitz 1170 (4/13/23)

Old Titan

Coach sounds like a very nice guy, but I'm honestly a little surprised he's not out hitting the recruiting trail as hard as possible. He said he didn't ask Max about coming back, it's great to thank him for all he's done, but if he's going to play a fifth year somewhere, why not at least ask about staying here! Sales comparison- if you don't ask someone for their business, you're not going to get it!! He also said he's been over to the Mike Carter center 3 times already this week, unless there are some portal recruits in the MCC, IMHO his time would be better spent out in the living rooms of the kids he's targeting!! It's prime time to be working those portal players, it's your first recruiting class...go get'em coach!! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I hope they are re-recruiting DJ Weaver....haven't seen any buzz around his name online

Great interview and not worried. 

I’m sure the staff is doing work behind the scenes. The portal clearly is a waiting game and they have a plan to cover all that.

For the sales guys it’s going to be ok. Coach Springmann will do well with what he has to work with and make it better.

When you work with Billy Donovan and Rick Barnes, one will do very well. 

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Coach sounds like a very nice guy, but I'm honestly a little surprised he's not out hitting the recruiting trail as hard as possible. He said he didn't ask Max about coming back, it's great to thank him for all he's done, but if he's going to play a fifth year somewhere, why not at least ask about staying here! Sales comparison- if you don't ask someone for their business, you're not going to get it!! He also said he's been over to the Mike Carter center 3 times already this week, unless there are some portal recruits in the MCC, IMHO his time would be better spent out in the living rooms of the kids he's targeting!! It's prime time to be working those portal players, it's your first recruiting class...go get'em coach!! 

I am sure he knew what Max is looking for is way out of line what ORU can offer. The TX offer is supposedly over $100k plus a car for the year or in that vicinity. 

Hopefully you will start to see a few visitors in the 7 to 10 days i would think as it starts to get thinned out some. More than a few kids get in the portal thinking they are going Power 5 conference with lots of NIL $$ and then realize they need to adjust their thinking on where they actually fit in. 

Check the recruiting calendar… lots of dead days.. 12 of the last 15 days are dead. Before you assume the worst it’s best to know about the subject that you are assuming. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Check the recruiting calendar… lots of dead days.. 12 of the last 15 days are dead. Before you assume the worst it’s best to know about the subject that you are assuming. 

I agree and we should expect some surprises. 

3 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I must have been confused by all the player commitments in the portal over the last few weeks that were not committing to ORU.

BTW, while several schools are reloading with portal talent, we have no HS players signed to a NLI (national letter of intent) or portal player commitments.  

4 hours ago, ORUFanbase said:

Before you assume the worst it’s best to know about the subject that you are assuming. 

Thanks, you're right! What in the world would I know about college basketball recruiting? 

I hope coach has several players in the hopper since we have a lot of position openings! I would just like to see a little more of a sense of urgency! Players are moving, let's get in their coach... lets go get it!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Thanks, you're right! What in the world would I know about college basketball recruiting? 

I hope coach has several players in the hopper since we have a lot of position openings! I would just like to see a little more of a sense of urgency! Players are moving, let's get in their coach... lets go get it!!

Yeah, what would you know about college basketball recruiting??!! 🤣

Seriously, though, these player movements are more than just how much playing time, how much exposure will I get, or how are the facilities and program going to make ME (the player) successful.  It is a lot about the Benjamins - especially for those P5 players moving among the higher tier schools and those that feel that they can contribute, but want to be a big fish in a smaller pond.  When we get a collective, we are going to need donors (money).  It won't be a Texas-sized fund, but it needs to be enough to get the attention of good, talented, and skilled players that can come together to be reasonably successful.  We need to find those that are willing to help us compete at the national stage level, if that is what we are looking for.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Seriously, though, these player movements are more than just how much playing time, how much exposure will I get, or how are the facilities and program going to make ME (the player) successful.  It is a lot about the Benjamins - especially for those P5 players moving among the higher tier schools and those that feel that they can contribute, but want to be a big fish in a smaller pond.  When we get a collective, we are going to need donors (money).  It won't be a Texas-sized fund, but it needs to be enough to get the attention of good, talented, and skilled players that can come together to be reasonably successful.  We need to find those that are willing to help us compete at the national stage level, if that is what we are looking for.

Spot on Bogus! Players don't transfer anymore because they are unhappy, now not just the disgruntled players, but the really good players and stars are leaving because they are looking for a "better deal".  I may be wrong, but I think we can still be competitive with much less $ than the P5's, if we have some money to use judicially, but emphasize our university, mission, facilities, tradition and all the things that make ORU an amazing place to go to school! Money will drive the P5 players, but we can still be competitive and successful as a mid-major with less money and "all our intangibles". 

We just have to get out there and emphasize the advantages we have!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

I must have been confused by all the player commitments in the portal over the last few weeks that were not committing to ORU.

I believe this is correct. While "live period" doesn't start until the 21st the portal/transfer market is wide open and active.

10 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I believe this is correct. While "live period" doesn't start until the 21st the portal/transfer market is wide open and active.

The issue @ORU40 had was that Coach Springmann was apparently sitting in his office and not in recruits’ homes. Which is not allowed during dead periods. Also, campus visits are not allowed during dead periods. But he knows all about recruiting so I’m sorry for shedding light on this issue. 

• Haha 1

Question for the panel:  could the delay in announcing assistant coaches (which I'm told have been in the fold for quite awhile) have something to do with either A.) Current college players said assistants might be bringing via the portal or B.) High school/juco/international/etc. prospects said assistants might be currently recruiting?  #stealthmode

• Like 1

...and, what to make of the following:

• No transfer news yet on Kareem Thompson (no "goodbye ORU" social media post - might he stay?)
  • No transfer news yet on DJ Weaver (no "goodbye ORU" social media post - might he stay?)
  • No transfer news yet on Nate Clover (no "goodbye ORU" social media post - might he stay?)
  • No Patrick Mwamba in the portal (staying, or going pro?)*
  • No Carlos Jurgens in the portal (staying, or going pro?)

*and could Patrick even transfer if he wanted to, without graduating first?  He's already transfered once...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm just hoping; like I'm sure all of us are, coach gets off to a great start to his tenure as our head coach. The first step is getting his staff in place and having a solid initial recruiting class. Coach has a great reputation as a recruiter, and hopefully we'll start seeing the fruits of his labor sooner rather than later! Getting a couple of our veterans to stay would be a fantastic start!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1