Coach Springmann on The Blitz 1170 (4/13/23)

Old Titan

The portal makes recruiting so much more of a mess than it used to be.  I think the college coaches earn every dollar with what they have to deal with in recruiting.  Coaching in practice and games is the reward and the much easier task.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

...and, what to make of the following:

• No transfer news yet on Kareem Thompson (no "goodbye ORU" social media post - might he stay?)
  • No transfer news yet on DJ Weaver (no "goodbye ORU" social media post - might he stay?)
  • No transfer news yet on Nate Clover (no "goodbye ORU" social media post - might he stay?)
  • No Patrick Mwamba in the portal (staying, or going pro?)*
  • No Carlos Jurgens in the portal (staying, or going pro?)

*and could Patrick even transfer if he wanted to, without graduating first?  He's already transfered once...

This has been my thought. Maybe some of the players we assume are gone are thinking of coming back. I keep thinking that no news might be good news. 

Coach Springmann has a rebuild on his hands, which in the end is no surprise.  Coach Mills always said, leave the program in better shape then you found it.  Not sure the Eagles can do better than 30-5 and 21-0 in conference.  The guys should go out on top.  Even if a few came back, without Max and Connor, ORU is still a middle of the pack team in the Summit League next year.  The fans have been spoiled the last three years but next year will be a challenge for the new coach.  I think in 2-3 years Coach can get the Eagles back to the NCAA tournament.  It should not be a huge rebuild but it is still a rebuild.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Springmann has a rebuild on his hands, which in the end is no surprise.  Coach Mills always said, leave the program in better shape then you found it.  Not sure the Eagles can do better than 30-5 and 21-0 in conference.  The guys should go out on top.  Even if a few came back, without Max and Connor, ORU is still a middle of the pack team in the Summit League next year.  The fans have been spoiled the last three years but next year will be a challenge for the new coach.  I think in 2-3 years Coach can get the Eagles back to the NCAA tournament.  It should not be a huge rebuild but it is still a rebuild.

I agree and not surprised by this. You want coach to do well and work through his plan.

Jay Wright at Villanova retired in part due to the NIL. Tom Izzo recently blasted the NIL as well recently.

We will be fine and I know coach will put a team that will do well.

• Upvote 1

If you read DJ Weavers post about returning to ORU on his Instagram, he mentions being excited to play for coaches Springman, Patterson, and Bostic. Sounds like we have a name for one of our missing coaches.

I looked up the name coach Bostic and my best guess is that he is a current assistant at Abilene Christian. If this is the case, I remember ACU signing a big time 2023 big man 08EEA77A-CAA6-49E7-BE9E-9C459A2DD90F.thumb.png.4c5580f2edab441d7d130ed3bc932035.pngprospect named Ma’shy Hill that we also recruited, maybe we can get him to come along!

• Like 1