2022-23 Epilogue

Old Titan

The 22-23 group had it all: talent, experience and great chemistry.  They really seemed to come together around the beginning of the year.  Each piece fit nicely like a puzzle and the guys were hungry to win.  The Eagles had scorers, role players, and glue guys.  Everyone embraced their role and that usually means winning basketball.

• Like 1

Terms like better and best are always subjective. But I think the tweet is valid. And @TrueBlue82made all the supporting points. It seems like everyone went straight to the best “teams” argument immediately, when the OP was “best season.” Hard to argue against overall record, undefeated in conference play, conference Championship, and a 12 seed in the Big Dance. 
Have there been better teams? Yes. Better results? Clearly. But “best season” is not an overstatement. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Terms like better and best are always subjective. But I think the tweet is valid. And @TrueBlue82made all the supporting points. It seems like everyone went straight to the best “teams” argument immediately, when the OP was “best season.” Hard to argue against overall record, undefeated in conference play, conference Championship, and a 12 seed in the Big Dance. 
Have there been better teams? Yes. Better results? Clearly. But “best season” is not an overstatement. 

All true.

However, some of us probably immediately recoil, due to previous tweets about "the OSU game was our first sell-out in years", or "we have the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation", or "we averaged 6,000+ fans per game this year", etc. 

There's a boy that cried wolf thing going on in the back of our heads. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

All true.

However, some of us probably immediately recoil, due to previous tweets about "the OSU game was our first sell-out in years", or "we have the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation", or "we averaged 6,000+ fans per game this year", etc. 

There's a boy that cried wolf thing going on in the back of our heads. 

Understood. (and all non-subjective 😆)

• Upvote 1

Geez Voice....do you always have to be so argumentative?....Do you ever have a postive thought about your "beloved" Alma Mater??? Let's have a little fun here..... Image result for Animal House

43 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Geez Voice....do you always have to be so argumentative?....Do you ever have a postive thought about your "beloved" Alma Mater??? Let's have a little fun here..... Image result for Animal House

If you took that as argumentative or negative, I don't know what to say? 

Just the facts, ma'am. 🤣

On 3/21/2023 at 12:45 PM, theeagleman5 said:

My guess is that an anonymous poll would side with @theeagleman5 on this one. 

• Upvote 1

When I looked at the schedule for 22-23 and the roster ORU had then a 23-8 record looked like a really good year.  That would have been 9-4 in the non conference and 14-4 in conference.  Those were my hopes and expectations, so the Eagles went far beyond that. This group would be a top ten team in ORU history.  

• Like 1

The exciting part about this year was not just winning 30 games but the way ORU won.  The Eagles blew out more teams than I can ever remember in a season: South Dakota by 50 (did that really happen), Denver by 41, SDSU by 39, NDSU by 34, and UCA by 33 points.  In a good year a team might have 1 or 2 big wins by 20 or more but ORU had 8 last season (not including the NAIA teams).  Without doing the research, that has to be close to a school record.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

....and Maine is a "N/A".  Now that is relevance at its best. 🤣  At least Alaska didn't even make the map to be degraded.

20 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

....and Maine is a "N/A".  Now that is relevance at its best. 🤣 

That makes no sense:  Maine plays D1 ball in the America East Conference.  They were 13-17 this year, with a win over Boston College.  Arguably competitive with a couple of the other New England teams listed, such as Delaware and U. Mass-Lowell.

...and I can't believe I just spent 5 minutes looking that up.  I think I'm going through post-season withdrawals. 🙃

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1