2022-23 Epilogue

Old Titan

Am I alone in perhaps begging to differ with this pronouncement?

I think we need to distinguish between "best", or "most successful". 

While the two are not mutually exclusive, there IS a difference...

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I’m new to ORU Basketball prior to the 2000’s. What other seasons would exceed or match this? 

11 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

I’m new to ORU Basketball prior to the 2000’s. What other seasons would exceed or match this? 

If you're saying the "best" team, then there are a BUNCH of our teams from the 70's & 80's that were better teams. 

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman agrees with Old Titan on this one.....ORU had much better teams back in the day and played a tougher D-1 schedule....but still this 30-5 season was a very good one....best in a while....even though it didn't end well like we hoped it would.....thought for sure ORU would make the Sweet 16.....but I was way off.....Image result for Cosmo Kramer

Don't get me wrong:  this was an incredibly successful year for the program, arguably top of the list in that regard, no question.

But, if you're wondering about possibly better teams (and some of the "best seasons"), check out the following years in the latest ORU Men's Basketball Media Guide:

• 1971-72 (pg. 71)  NIT Quarterfinals
  • 1973-74 (pg. 63-64)  NCAA Elite Eight
  • 1979-80 (pg. 103)  ineligible for post-season play
  • 1983-84 (pg. 65)  NCAA First Round
  • 2004-05 (pg. 77)  NIT First Round
  • 2005-06 (pg. 66)  NCAA First Round
  • 2006-07 (pg. 67)  NCAA First Round
  • 2007-08 (pg. 68)  NCAA First Round
  • 2011-12 (pg. 78)  NIT First Round
  • 2020-21 (pg. 69)  NCAA Sweet Sixteen

One guy's opinion...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Don't get me wrong:  this was an incredibly successful year for the program, arguably top of the list in that regard, no question.

But, if you're wondering about possibly better teams (and some of the "best seasons"), check out the following years in the latest ORU Men's Basketball Media Guide:

One guy's opinion...

Thanks for sharing and good information.

13 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

One guy's opinion...

What about the 1996-97 (pg 76) NIT First Round? They also had a couple of P5 wins, plus some good mid-major wins that year.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

What about the 1996-97 (pg 76) NIT First Round? They also had a couple of P5 wins, plus some good mid-major wins that year.  

It's probably as good as a couple of the teams on my list, but near the bottom. 

I'm thinking of the previous teams that would give this year's squad a run for their money, and that one did not come to mind.

25 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

That was such a special team, full of really good guys. I wasn't thinking of them, but good call!

To me, the 1984 NCAA tourney team was one of the best. Just unfortunate that they had to play a LOADED Memphis State team on their home floor in the first round of the NCAA tournament. They gave MSU (who the following year went to the Final 4 with basically the same roster) all they wanted. Two nights later MSU totally throttled a Top 20 Purdue squad, before falling to Houston (Phi Slamma Jamma) in the Sweet 16.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ORU squad of 1972-73 and 1973-74 would have squashed this years' basketball team....those guys had elite Top 10 talent.....the 73-74 team led by Sam McCants, Eddie Woods, Greg McDougald, Al Boswell, Anthony Roberts and Duane Fox could have won the National Championship......just the opinion of TheEagleman and not meant as a rip of the 2022-23 team.....just sayin'......Image result for George Costanza

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU squad of 1972-73 and 1973-74 would have squashed this years' basketball team....those guys had elite Top 10 talent.....the 73-74 team led by Sam McCants, Eddie Woods, Greg McDougald, Al Boswell, Anthony Roberts and Duane Fox could have won the National Championship......just the opinion of TheEagleman and not meant as a rip of the 2022-23 team.....just sayin'......Image result for George Costanza

Gotta love freedom of Speech in the……USA! 😉

If you remember last off season, we had a topic of the old vs new or 22-23 roster vs past teams (Green/Tutt teams, DoMo team, and others).  As far as the conference goes (21-0) they had a special season but did struggle with the non conference.  Liberty is the best win out of the conference and Texas Southern was a solid win, who as an 8th seed made the first four of the Big Dance. 

It is interesting to compare the Sweet 16 team vs this year's team.  The 20-21 group was once 11-10 before finishing 7-1 and barely missing the Elite 8 while this year's team was 30-4 before the tournament.  Whether it is good or bad, teams are usually remembered for how they finish and not as much by what they accomplished in the regular season.   It is safe to say that any time ORU makes the NCAA tournament or the NIT then they have had a really good year.

• Like 1

Gotta love freedom of Speech in the……USA! 😉

Not for long...... if Joe Biden has anything to do with it Image result for Joe BidenImage result for Joe BidenImage result for Joe Biden

7 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Gotta love freedom of Speech in the……USA! 😉

Not for long...... if Joe Biden has anything to do with it Image result for Joe BidenImage result for Joe BidenImage result for Joe Biden

Victory Speech Midterms GIF by GIPHY Newsole Corn Pop…..😂😂😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The tweet isn't WRONG, it just may not be totally RIGHT, since "best" is subject to interpretation by the reader.  A "season of dominance" is an appropriate description for a conference record of 21-0, including an undefeated regular season and a tournament title.  And, since a season is primarily judged on W-L record and championships, the "best D1 season" is also a reasonable statement for a 30-5 win-loss record and conference titles, with the most wins and best winning percentage in the D1 era.

I can't disagree with the tweet, but must admit that it still doesn't soften the Thursday night gut-punch that I'm still reeling from.  Maybe it's just "too soon"...

• Upvote 1

Some of you are ignoring (or forgetting) the Caleb Green-era Golden Eagles. Remember all of the marquee wins from those years? The overall record may not have been as shiny, but when you're beating squads like Georgetown, USC, Seton Hall, Kansas, Wichita State, on the regular, those were the salad days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Former SID said:

Some of you are ignoring (or forgetting) the Caleb Green-era Golden Eagles. Remember all of the marquee wins from those years? The overall record may not have been as shiny, but when you're beating squads like Georgetown, USC, Seton Hall, Kansas, Wichita State, on the regular, those were the salad days.

This ^^^^^

Many of those losses during those less-than-gaudy-but-still-20-win seasons were on the road vs. P5 teams.

• Upvote 3

Nice team with many accomplishments. But dropped like a lead balloon first round I'll bet The 79-80 would have done well in tournament if not on probation