Looking ahead, but not past…

Texasgrip

Admittedly, I may be jumping the gun here a bit. But I assure you, I am not looking PAST this week (and next week). I’m pumped for the game against Duke Thursday night, and our subsequent games in the Big Dance. But in hearing all the portal talk, I’m also starting to think about next year – and I’m excited about it. I think it’s possible to begin that discussion in the midst of this imminent exciting opportunity.

Having said that, there are (of course) MANY unknowns: Will our head coach still be Paul Mills (I think/hope it will be)? Which of our seniors (especially those we assume are gone) will come back? Will we lose any players to the portal? Will we get some transfers (probably/hopefully)? 

I am excited about McBride potentially running the point. I’m hopeful Weaver stays. I can’t wait to see Amboree and Williams (and Clover?) come into their own. I think Herron can be a force. And, MWAMBA FOREVER!  The future is bright at 7777 S. Lewis!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Nothing is a sure thing, but here's where I would put my money if I was a betting man:

• Max and Connor not returning
  • Issac McBride, Patrick Mwamba, Trey Phipps, Sir Issac Herron, and Cam Amboree all returning. 
  • An outside chance Carlos returns.
  • No clue re: Kareem, DJ, Nate, or Demari returning or not.

It would be very surprising if Carlos or DJ came back because that would mean they are in their 6th year with the Eagles.  Carlos was a little older when he got to campus, so he must be around 24.  It would be great to have them back but I would think by now they are most likely looking at starting careers or playing overseas.  There must be some pro teams in the Estonia area that would love to hire Carlos.

These dudes could be like my ex-wife and become career students. It's worked for her. She's 50 and never held a real job more than a couple of months. 

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2023 at 4:14 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

It would be very surprising if Carlos or DJ came back because that would mean they are in their 6th year with the Eagles.  Carlos was a little older when he got to campus, so he must be around 24.  It would be great to have them back but I would think by now they are most likely looking at starting careers or playing overseas.  There must be some pro teams in the Estonia area that would love to hire Carlos.

Carlos wants to stay in America and remaining a student-athlete is one way to do it for one more year.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Who Is Oral Roberts, the Namesake of the ORU Golden Eagles in March Madness? (Sportscasting)

Published on
March 14, 2023
| Comments (0
)

https://www.sportscasting.com/who-is-oral-roberts-namesake-golden-eagles-march-madness/

Strange to think that 50+ years after opening the doors, ORU's founder and namesake requires "fan-splaining" to a new generation. 

Wonder how long till he's the answer to a game show trivia question along with the likes of George Mason, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, and Brigham Young?

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Strange to think that 50+ years after opening the doors, ORU's founder and namesake requires "fan-splaining" to a new generation. 

Wonder how long till he's the answer to a game show trivia question along with the likes of George Mason, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, and Brigham Young?

“Fan-splaining” that’s a new term…😂

They had to pick the goofiest photo of OR ever taken...when TheEagleman first met him in 1972 he was a very dapper looking guy...impressive in a dark blue suit at 6'4"...and a mesmerizing preacher of the gospel....and OR loved his Titans....rarely missed a game. 🙂

2 hours ago, ORUFanbase said:

Who Is Oral Roberts, the Namesake of the ORU Golden Eagles in March Madness? (Sportscasting)

Published on
March 14, 2023
| Comments (0
)

https://www.sportscasting.com/who-is-oral-roberts-namesake-golden-eagles-march-madness/

FYI - This will probably get read more if posted in different thread. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

OR has been an answer on Jeopardy in the past few years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

OR loved his Titans....rarely missed a game. 🙂

I remember OR was almost always at two public events...basketball games and chapel. 

Two most important events on campus!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cletus said:

I remember OR was almost always at two public events...basketball games and chapel. 

Two most important events on campus!

At the risk of infuriating Texasgrip by taking this thread even further into the weeds...

Fond memories 3 or 4 times a school year of returning from class late on a fall or spring afternoon to find the Athletic Dorm kitchen staff grilling steaks outside.

That meant President Roberts would be joining us for our evening meal, and we would be eating right.

Usually included fried shrimp as well - no SAGA shepherd's pie for dinner that night!  LOL

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

At the risk of infuriating Texasgrip by taking this thread even further into the weeds...

Fond memories 3 or 4 times a school year of returning from class late on a fall or spring afternoon to find the Athletic Dorm kitchen staff grilling steaks outside.

That meant President Roberts would be joining us for our evening meal, and we would be eating right.

Usually included fried shrimp as well - no SAGA shepherd's pie for dinner that night!  LOL

The "grilling steaks" part saved it. 😋😆

On 3/15/2023 at 10:30 AM, Old Titan said:

And this is why, when I was a student, I refer to the athletic dorm as the “ORU Hilton”

OK, so I've been waiting a few days to get over my bitter disappointment at Thursday nights debacle, hopeful that additional time to reflect would inspire profound insight that I would be eager to share with everyone.

It's Sunday night...

...and I got nothing yet.

I'll check back when I have anything better than the following:  is the grossest part of the new Jack Links Beef Jerkey commercial the not-blurred-enough Bigfoot fire hose urine stream, or the simple fact that THE GUY IS EATING BEEF JERKEY STANDING AT A URINAL IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?

Peace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

OK, so I've been waiting a few days to get over my bitter disappointment at Thursday nights debacle, hopeful that additional time to reflect would inspire profound insight that I would be eager to share with everyone.

It's Sunday night...

...and I got nothing yet.

I'll check back when I have anything better than the following:  is the grossest part of the new Jack Links Beef Jerkey commercial the not-blurred-enough Bigfoot fire hose urine stream, or the simple fact that THE GUY IS EATING BEEF JERKEY STANDING AT A URINAL IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?

Peace.

I'm just glad you're OK.  I was worried you may have found a tall building to jump off of Thursday night.  We can all exhale now...Looking forward to more wisdom and insight-but only when you're ready, OT...

Rob

• Like 1

TheEagleman can totally relate to Old Titans' feelings.....I am in the same boat and although it seems to get a little better every day it's been very hard to watch games this weekend especially with all the double digit seed upsets like Princeton and FDU.....even FAU is in the sweet 16 and frankly I think ORU is better than those guys..... TheEagleman is not going to jump off a tall building or bridge but the pain is slow to go away....guess my hopes were just too high.......image.jpeg.24925a16c7b82fd7be5f9a9c0bc95a50.jpeg

• Like 1