Top 25?

ORob1

I predicted a week ago that if ORU was 28-4 today they just might crack the Top 25 tomorrow; now I kinda doubt it.

Additional teams in the "Other Receiving Votes" last week included Creighton, Duke, Iowa State, and Boise State, all of whom had some big wins this past week. 

And I don't see any teams that should obviously drop out of last week's Top 25 (maybe TCU at No. 22?), so it would simply take a lot of votes (over 150?) just to push someone out.

I'm guessing ORU comes close to perhaps doubling their 40 votes of last week, but is still right on the doorstep at No. 26 or No. 27.

BUT, if ORU is sitting at 30-4 next Sunday?  Much better chance of cracking the list.

• Like 1

Conventional committee wisdom seems to have us as a lock for a 12 seed if we hang on to win the tourney. With time running out to crack the top 25 before selection Sunday, it will be interesting to see if our place in the poll helps lift us above that. 

23 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I predicted a week ago that if ORU was 28-4 today they just might crack the Top 25 tomorrow; now I kinda doubt it.

Additional teams in the "Other Receiving Votes" last week included Creighton, Duke, Iowa State, and Boise State, all of whom had some big wins this past week. 

And I don't see any teams that should obviously drop out of last week's Top 25 (maybe TCU at No. 22?), so it would simply take a lot of votes (over 150?) just to push someone out.

I'm guessing ORU comes close to perhaps doubling their 40 votes of last week, but is still right on the doorstep at No. 26 or No. 27.

BUT, if ORU is sitting at 30-4 next Sunday?  Much better chance of cracking the list.

As predicted... 😉

ORU sitting at No. 26 in this week's AP Top 25, with 54 votes (fewer than the 80-ish votes I thought they would get).

Creighton and Duke, who were among "Others Receiving Votes" last week, jumped back into the poll at No. 21 and No. 24 respectively, following big Quad 1 wins.

FWIW, No. 25 Missouri, who was also Not Ranked last week, needed only 66 votes to crack the poll... #soclose

Look at the bright side:  check out some of the programs ORU is ranked above; I know there are several I would NOT want to play:

Others receiving votes: Oral Roberts 54, FAU 53, Utah St. 32, Providence 26, Iowa St. 23, Northwestern 16, West Virginia 15, Pittsburgh 10, Toledo 10, Coll of Charleston 9, Michigan St. 9, VCU 8, Boise St. 7, Iowa 5, Southern Cal 5, Memphis 3, Maryland 3, Vanderbilt 3, Arkansas 2, Drake 1, North Texas 1.  

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

As predicted... 😉

ORU sitting at No. 26 in this week's AP Top 25, with 54 votes (fewer than the 80-ish votes I thought they would get).

Creighton and Duke, who were among "Others Receiving Votes" last week, jumped back into the poll at No. 21 and No. 24 respectively, following big Quad 1 wins.

FWIW, No. 25 Missouri, who was also Not Ranked last week, needed only 66 votes to crack the poll... #soclose

Mizzou losing their first game in tourney play could change the outcome but I don’t see that for them.

Quarterfinals -- Friday, March 10
Game 7: No. 1 Alabama vs. Game 3 winner | 1 p.m. on ESPN
Game 8: No. 4 Missouri vs. Game 4 winner | 3 p.m. on ESPN
Game 9: No. 2 Texas A&M vs. Game 5 winner | 7 p.m. on SEC Network
Game 10: No. 3 Kentucky vs. Game 6 winner | 9 p.m. on SEC Network

1000.png
Indiana
(21-10)
Big Ten
1000.png
Mountain West
1000.png
Duke
(23-8)
Atlantic Coast
-
1000.png
TCU
(20-11)
Big 12
-

Kentucky
(21-10)
Southeastern
-

Creighton
(20-11)
Big East
-

any changes with teams playing games this week could play to our favor to hit the Top 25.

ORU Basketball Ranked No. 26 in the Nation

3/6/2023 | Men's Basketball

AP Poll

TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts men's basketball team has been ranked No. 26 in the nation according to this week's Associated Press Poll, it was released March 6.

For the first time in program history, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team has been mentioned in the Associated Press Top 25 College Basketball Poll for seven-straight weeks. It is the most times in a single season ORU has been mentioned in the AP Poll. The team also received 14 votes in the Coaches Poll.

ORU received 54 votes Monday morning in the Associated Press' weekly poll. It's the first time the program has received votes for seven consecutive weeks and the most times the Golden Eagles have made an appearance in the poll in a single season. The 2022-23 season is the first time since preseason of 2012-13 ORU has received votes in the prestigious AP Top 25 poll. Oral Roberts is currently 28-4 overall and finished 18-0 in Summit League play and won the conference regular season championship outright. ORU is the second team in Summit League history to finish the league schedule undefeated. Oral Roberts is the nation's only team to go undefeated in conference play. The 18 wins in conference play are the most league wins in program history.

Except for us old timers....most of you guys on this board were not born the last time ORU got in the Top 25 (1974)......or won this many games as a D-1 team........1971-72.....:circle-logoi:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Except for us old timers....most of you guys on this board were not born the last time ORU got in the Top 25 (1974)......or won this many games as a D-1 team........1971-72.....:circle-logoi:

As the old church song goes……Oh Ancient of Days…..😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

I was born!

I was 3 in 1974 and 1 in 1972. 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

I was born!

I was 3 in 1974 and 1 in 1972. 😂

Aging Old Man GIF by A&E

ORU is only 12 votes from the top 25!  Last week they were about 80, so a big leap.  If they win out then the Eagles should be in next week because all the teams in the 21-25 will most likely lose in their conference tournament.  

In the off season I remember a topic about ORU being in the Top 25 this year.  I cannot seem to find it but does anyone remember that discussion?  Someone had said they thought the Eagles would be a top 25 team.  Maybe it was a dream.

9 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

In the off season I remember a topic about ORU being in the Top 25 this year.  I cannot seem to find it but does anyone remember that discussion?  Someone had said they thought the Eagles would be a top 25 team.  Maybe it was a dream.

That would be fun to find, because I'm betting I shot them down about such an absurd notion...lol.

Honestly, still can't believe ORU is getting more votes than the likes of Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Iowa State, Providence, USC, Arkansas, etc.  Says a lot for how much ORU has built their brand over the past two seasons - Max Abmas is a household name in college basketball circles!

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Honestly, still can't believe ORU is getting more votes than the likes of Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Iowa State, Providence, USC, Arkansas, etc.  Says a lot for how much ORU has built their brand over the past two seasons - Max Abmas is a household name in college basketball circles!

I think in "basketball circles" ORU is better known now than in any time since the 70s. A household name indeed!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That would be fun to find, because I'm betting I shot them down about such an absurd notion...lol.

They have so much momentum right and if they can finish it out and win the next couple and have a good showing in the tournament it will open up great possibilities in the portal for next year! I bet they can find a couple of very good options going forward. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darrenj said:

They have so much momentum right and if they can finish it out and win the next couple and have a good showing in the tournament it will open up great possibilities in the portal for next year! I bet they can find a couple of very good options going forward. 

Add to that the great new Mike Carter Athletic Center that will make our facilities that much more appealing to recruits.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Add to that the great new Mike Carter Athletic Center that will make our facilities that much more appealing to recruits.

Is it finished yet? That will make a huge difference i would think! Of course, still won't be able to recruit the same kids as Tulsa! 🙂 You know this season is just killing some of those fans they have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, darrenj said:

Is it finished yet? That will make a huge difference i would think! Of course, still won't be able to recruit the same kids as Tulsa! 🙂 You know this season is just killing some of those fans they have. 

The MCAC ribbon-cutting is on April 19!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, darrenj said:

You know this season is just killing some of those fans they have. 

One, or both?

Lonely Euro Cup GIF by UEFA

• Haha 2