Top 25?

ORob1

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

One, or both?

Lonely Euro Cup GIF by UEFA

I would add a reaction but it says i am all out for the day!:)  Goodness that team is terrible right now.

12 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I would add a reaction but it says i am all out for the day!:)  Goodness that team is terrible right now.

...and clutching at straws for excuses why.  I keep reading on their board, "We knew this was going to happen, the talent was bad, it's just his first year, give him time," yada, yada, yada.

But, the guy is an experienced head coach who brought in a half-dozen new players, and five wins is all he can muster with guarantee home games and a down AAC?

Meanwhile, ROOKIE head coach Jerome Tang at Kansas State brought in seven players from the portal last spring/summer, won 20 games in the mighty tough Big XII,  and just got named conference Coach Of The Year.

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

...and clutching at straws for excuses why.  I keep reading on their board, "We knew this was going to happen, the talent was bad, it's just his first year, give him time," yada, yada, yada.

But, the guy is an experienced head coach who brought in a half-dozen new players, and five wins is all he can muster with guarantee home games and a down AAC?

Meanwhile, ROOKIE head coach Jerome Tang at Kansas State brought in seven players from the portal last spring/summer, won 20 games in the mighty tough Big XII,  and just got named conference Coach Of The Year.

Just not sure how you get enough difference makers for next year to turn it around. The good thing for them is Cinn and Houston are heading to the Big 12 but still that is long road back for the new coach. 

No matter what anyone says that sure as heck weren't ready for 5 wins in the season.:) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

True Story....MrsEagleman and I are grocery shopping Saturday Night and of course i am following the UND game on my phone...we get to the check out and i am helping bag groceries for the 17 yr old check out kid who has helped us previously....as my wife is paying the bill the kid says to me....hey...is that an ORAL ROBERTS hat you are wearing? (I  have an ORU hat on)....and i am stunned and I say....yes, you have heard of us??....and the young buck goes....oh yeah I am a big basketball fan and I know about your guy Max Abmas and aren't you guys like undefeated the past 20 games?...I was speechless and MrsEagleman says.....Ryan, you just made his day.......lol :tb-white:

That’s a great story. Had a similar experience at a Target months ago and recently out for dinner at a Buffalo Wild Wings. Some even thought I was a coach on staff….😂🙌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TheEagleman lives in suburban Philly...believe me that very few people have heard of us even at church.....and i am always wearing the brand.....one day a couple years ago I had a different ORU hat on and was at the Racetrack in Bensalem, PA/Parx Racing watching the thoroughbreds........I am standing at the rail waiting for a race to start and this younger dude about 30 walks past me and stops and does a double take and says....ORAL F@%&*ing ROBERTS???....are you kidding me?.....this was just after the Sweet Sixteen performance....I laughed and said....yes, I went to ORU.....he shook his head and said...this is a first  I ever met anyone from Oral Roberts....isn't that school in Utah???.....😆

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman lives in suburban Philly...believe me that very people have heard of us even at church.....and i am always wearing the brand.....one day a couple years ago I had a different ORU hat on and was at the Racetrack in Bensalem, PA/Parx Racing watching the thoroughbreds........I am standing at the rail waiting for a race to start and this younger dude about 30 walks past me and stops and does a double take and says....ORAL F@%&*ing ROBERTS???....are you kidding me?.....this was just after the Sweet Sixteen performance....I laughed and said....yes, I went to ORU.....he shook his head and said...this is a first never met anyone from Oral Roberts....isn't that school in Utah???.....😆

mitt romney news GIF

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman lives in suburban Philly...believe me that very few people have heard of us even at church.....and i am always wearing the brand.....one day a couple years ago I had a different ORU hat on and was at the Racetrack in Bensalem, PA/Parx Racing watching the thoroughbreds........I am standing at the rail waiting for a race to start and this younger dude about 30 walks past me and stops and does a double take and says....ORAL F@%&*ing ROBERTS???....are you kidding me?.....this was just after the Sweet Sixteen performance....I laughed and said....yes, I went to ORU.....he shook his head and said...this is a first never met anyone from Oral Roberts....isn't that school in Utah???.....😆

What a charming lad . . .

What a special season and the first 30 win year at the D1 level for ORU.  A perfect cap or cherry on top would be to be ranked in the top 25 on Monday.  It could happen! Let us believe

• Upvote 3

Depends on what happens with the teams ranked 20-25 but yeah....ORU could make the Top 25 next Monday after that dominating performance last night......... :circle-logoi:

• Like 1

There is no question this team deserves to have a spot in the top 25 after the W last night against NDSU. I expect them to land at #24 come Mon. It would be beautiful seeing that every week during the offseason as I believe this is the last week that rankings will be updated. 

Im not familiar with the NCAA guidelines for this but as a marketer I see things from that lense. My instinct says It wasn't by accident that ORU's game was aired on primetime with the max amount of viewership, extremely educational and positive commentary about our players, and the post game interviews with Mills and Abmas. To me, Its a clear marketing strategy to give sports fans who are out of the tournament someone to root for. These all lead to higher viewership/ratings for us in future games. With that said, I hope the NCAA committee recognizes this and gives ORU a better than expected seed with a clear path to the sweet 16 given we take care of business. This would be good for the NCAA, ESPN and of course us, but very, very bad for our opponents. 😉 

21 minutes ago, ORUFan2009 said:

My instinct says It wasn't by accident that ORU's game was aired on primetime with the max amount of viewership, extremely educational and positive commentary about our players, and the post game interviews with Mills and Abmas.

FWIW, the Summit League championship has been a staple for years on ESPN2 in the 7:30pm Central time slot on the Tuesday night before Selection Sunday.

ESPN likes to show the same tournament games on the same nights and the same channels every year.  It's even become something of an unfortunate tradition to have the first ESPN2 game of the evening (in this case, the NEC title game between Merrimack and Fairleigh Dickinson) bleed over into the Summit League championship broadcast, causing frustrated Summit League fans to miss the first couple of minutes of the game every year.

It WAS nice this season that, following such a blowout with not many timeouts or reviews lengthening the game, there was extra time to interview the players and show some of the postgame celebration, before moving on to the third game of Tuesday night's triple-header on "The Deuce" (Big Sky Tournament semi-final between Weber State and Montana State that looked like it was being played in wet concrete by comparison).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I flipped over and watch Gonzaga do what they always do but did see the interviews and was nice that those were shown. 

ORU will be talked about constantly leading up to their game next week. Can't put a price on that type of publicity as far as recruiting goes. There will be many kids unhappy about their current situation at Power 5 schools that will take notice of the season ORU has had. Let ORU go on a run again and the Portal season will be interesting. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

FWIW, the Summit League championship has been a staple for years on ESPN2 in the 7:30pm Central time slot on the Tuesday night before Selection Sunday.

ESPN likes to show the same tournament games on the same nights and the same channels every year.  It's even become something of an unfortunate tradition to have the first ESPN2 game of the evening (in this case, the NEC title game between Merrimack and Fairleigh Dickinson) bleed over into the Summit League championship broadcast, causing frustrated Summit League fans to miss the first couple of minutes of the game every year.

It WAS nice this season that, following such a blowout with not many timeouts or reviews lengthening the game, there was extra time to interview the players and show some of the postgame celebration, before moving on to the third game of Tuesday night's triple-header on "The Deuce" (Big Sky Tournament semi-final between Weber State and Montana State that looked like it was being played in wet concrete by comparison).

While you could be right, I tend to believe a narrative is being formed. It only makes sense to put your emphasis on a product that you believe sells and it didnt take a genius to see weeks prior to this game that the ORU product is worthy of putting at the front of the store for all customers to see. I just find it hard to believe its all by coincidence, tradition or time filling that all 3 went our way. I also would prefer this train of thought because it would lead me to believe we are being positioned for a run. However, I would take it all back if we get a high seed against a highly favorable opponent. Expect a miracle OT 🙏

Zooming in on the halftime show, I viewed it more as Tom Crean with the opportunity to have a “proud father” moment as Iain Laymon has been a massive part of ORU’s recent success. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ORU could likely be ranked 24 or 25 this week. Theoretically we should be a 6 or 7 seed but being a mid major on the rise we won't be ranked that high. I remember Gonzaga going through the same process. The more they started winning year in and year out the more respect and love they got and their seeding went up progressively. Sort of like paying your dues and earning seniority in a company. With incredible facilities and having the right coach ORU's upside is going to be fun to watch. I pray Mills truly loves ORU and wants to build a dynasty!

• Like 3