ORU at Texas State

Otis 83

14 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Just heard the announcer say there were about 1700 in attendance for yesterday's game! Wow.

Not much to do in San Marcos.  🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Not much to do in San Marcos.  🤷‍♂️

It's beautiful down there - lots to do! I have good friends who live in Dripping Springs and their sons attend Texas State. 

Fun game to listen to. I’m down in Colombia, so no access to the ESPN stream. But solid ORU audio coverage and timely video highlights on Twitter.

Considering what Texas State did to Northwestern, I was expecting a slugfest. But this year’s pitching is superb.

• Upvote 1

ORU takes the series in a 8-4 win thanks to the grand slam by Drew Stahl.  The good guys are 6-2 going into their mid-week game with Tarleton State on Wednesday afternoon.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tarleton State then S.F. Austin come to JLJ this upcoming week.......Tarleton??...didn't that used to be a brand of cigarettes back in the day????.....sorry it was Tareyton....lol  😬           Image result for Tarleton Cigarettes

Really impressed so far with this roster;they really play the game the right way, and with some swagger.

Matt Hogan is my new favorite player; he had a rough series at the plate but made up for it with defense in right field.  He just looks like a ballplayer.

Remember my complaint a couple of seasons back that ORU had too many little banjo-hitters and just didn't look the part?  Not this line-up.  Take Drew Stahl, for example - the guy's built like a fireplug, and showed some pop in his bat today.

This team has GREAT defense, a DEEP pitching staff, and speed around the bases.  Throw in timely hitting, and that's a formula for success. 

Looking forward to seeing these guys compete this year!

• Upvote 4

Made the trip down to San Marcos and boy oh boy was it worth it. The boys played with lots of energy all weekend. We outplayed them for 27 innings. Looks like a pretty special group. 

Have to admit it was fun being surrounded with an edgy crowd and a cold beer in my hands. It was especially nice when the crowd got real quiet. Put a smile on ol EagleManForever’s face.

Go Eags

36 minutes ago, Eaglemanforever said:

Made the trip down to San Marcos and boy oh boy was it worth it. The boys played with lots of energy all weekend. We outplayed them for 27 innings. Looks like a pretty special group. 

Have to admit it was fun being surrounded with an edgy crowd and a cold beer in my hands. It was especially nice when the crowd got real quiet. Put a smile on ol EagleManForever’s face.

Go Eags

It is always fun when the home team goes quiet and walks out of the stadium tepidly.  Usually they will say some nice things to you if they know you're with the other team. 😄

1 hour ago, Eaglemanforever said:

Go Eags

Yeah, Texas State is a bunch of cocky dirtbags (intended as a complement), and they're a great team.  They went 47-14 overall and 26-4 in conference last year, and took #2 Stanford to an extra elimination game in the Palo Alto Regional.  This series win will look great at the end of the year for seeding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Watched several innings from San Marcos, and was excited about what I saw.  It is still VERY early, but this team is showing great potential after ten days, especially with so many first year (at ORU) players.  Solid defense, deep bullpen, elite closer, and they find a way to get on base.  We will know much more in two weeks after a weekend series at DBU. 

Meanwhile, the other six Summit teams are a combined 7-28, and have been outscored 304-143.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Thanks for posting this.  I enjoyed your exchange with the Army fan and even gave you a like!

I was interested to see Abilene Christian just above us at 22.  Why can't we get a home and home going with those guys?  My dentist is on the board at ACU so I'm going to see what I can do.  We need more 3 game series in the state of Texas!!!!

19 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

It's beautiful down there - lots to do! I have good friends who live in Dripping Springs and thier sons attend Texas State. 

100%.  They have the LBJ Museum, the Glass Bottom Boat tour, the Mermaid March, my sister loves the outlet mall and don't forget the Wonderworld Cave and Adventure Park. and many more attractions.

Got to watch the game yesterday via ESPN and must say we did look very good.  Yes it is still early in the season but the boys played smart baseball and performed well.  Could be a special season.  Go Golden Eagles!

• Upvote 3