ORU vs. North Dakota (2/16/23)

Dr. Cornelius

This is an excellent team with all the right people who will step up. Congrats ORU golden Eagles Summit league champs! 🏀💪🏆

Congrats to the players and coaches...what a season so far.  Wierd that it almost felt like a loss right after the game.

ORU is playing with fire by not putting away teams.  Someone will eventually complete the comback....just hoping it's not in the  conference tournament. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

I’ll be interested to hear what the people in the arena saw but it looked like UND was hitting tough shots all night. Also seemed like the good guys couldn’t buy a basket. Max missed several three point shots that were open. Also, could have used a little more Carlos in the 2nd half, there was no answer for him in the first half.

A TON of missed shots around the rim in the 2nd half. Just couldn't finish.

I also agree Carlos probably should have gotten more minutes late. He was getting to his spots so easily.

10 hours ago, SonofaLegend said:

Well, I would agree, but maybe it's about letting the fans enjoy and be a part of it. Otherwise, feels a bit wrong cutting down nets after an ending like that. 😂

29 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Congrats to the players and coaches...what a season so far.  Wierd that it almost felt like a loss right after the game.

ORU is playing with fire by not putting away teams.  Someone will eventually complete the comback....just hoping it's not in the  conference tournament. 

I think it will be harder to be complacent after this win since like @ORUalum pointed out it almost felt like a loss!

Have to run through the tape.

• Upvote 1

Defense in the final 10 seconds was head scratching or non existent...pick your poison....UND gets 2 wide open 3 point shots and the 2nd one the guy grabs the rebound and dribbles unscathed all the way out the the 3 point line to launch another shot.....doesn't somebody have to get in his way??...take a foul.....anything??? Image result for Cosmo Kramer

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I think it will be harder to be complacent after this win since like @ORUalum pointed out it almost felt like a loss!

Have to run through the tape.

As others have said, I didn't feel very celebratory at the end of the game last night, although, as Keenan pointed out the multiple milestones reached probably deserved it. I did feel like the confetti cannons were a bit much, but some fans less intensely connected to the team probably enjoyed it. Had we won by 30 points I might not have minded them so much.

Last night revealed vulnerabilities with this team, and hopefully Coach Mills can make some adjustments to correct them. In some respects we experienced some of the things that have made our team so deadly all season - great three point shooting that opens up the inside game. Rarely will we see treys raining on us like we did last night - but it shows that on any given night any team can be vulnerable. It also demonstrates why we being one of only two teams that haven't lost a game in conference is so special. That remains a very significant accomplishment.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Defense in the final 10 seconds was head scratching or non existent...pick your poison....UND gets 2 wide open 3 point shots and the 2nd one the guy grabs the rebound and dribbles unscathed all the way out the the 3 point line to launch another shot.....doesn't somebody have to get in his way??...take a foul.....anything??? Image result for Cosmo Kramer

We were hollering for sure. We had two fouls to give. Obviously not on a shot attempt, but as soon as they took a couple of dribbles: foul and make them reset with less time.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

As others have said, I didn't feel very celebratory at the end of the game last night, although, as Keenan pointed out the multiple milestones reached probably deserved it. I did feel like the confetti cannons were a bit much, but some fans less intensely connected to the team probably enjoyed it.

I  don't think the celebration was contingent on last night's win, as we had already clinched at least a share of the regular season championship. And as some have said, it's been awhile since the fans have been able to celebrate that with the team at home!

If we hadn't celebrated with the team at home last night, when would we do so? The tournament is in Sioux Falls. If the outcome is like 2021, we can have another party in the Mabee when they return, but it won't be the same crowd as last night's. It just feels better and right to celebrate at the end of a game where we were victorious. I was disappointed in our second-half play, but I'd rather see that happen at home at this point than in the tournament. Let's hope it was a wake-up call, like some others here have said, and that Coach draws up a Plan B and Plan C for those moments when Plan A is a bust. 

I'm proud of how hard the guys fought. Carlos was magnificent! I kept calling him "Secret Weapon." 

Just wondering....anybody ever see a team have a 34-8 run against them in the 2nd half and still win???.....that's pretty much impossible....but then again I guess not......Image result for George Costanza

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Just wondering....anybody ever see a team have a 34-8 run against them in the 2nd half and still win???.....that's pretty much impossible....but then again I guess not......Image result for George Costanza

Exactly - and have you ever seen a team be so "in the zone" to have a stretch of shooting 9-of-10 from beyond the arc - and lose? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

You didn't watch the Summit League tournament championship game with ORU and NDSU in 2021? 😉 

Thursday night felt eerily similar...as did just last week at Western Illinois.

• Upvote 3

24 points in the 2nd half!  And I believe that 73 matches our lowest points scored in a win.

The first half was really fun.🙃

Oh yeah....TheEagleman remembers the 2021 Summit Final....almost had to call 911 and put the paddles to my chest.....that was also a 20+ point lead.....why does this team keep having these 2nd half lapses??....Missouri St and Omaha this year not as bad but eerily similar.....this kind of thing CANNOT happen or we are cooked in Sioux Falls......almost needed a stress test last night.....Come on, man!!! image.jpeg.217258498e823d5c74cab69d8893e696.jpeg

This team is vulnerable from outside. Personally I would be chasing them off the line, let conner contest in the paint, run a zone that will not allow a three point shot. They were tough shots, but they were still allowed to get them off. Once a player catches fire, don't let them get a shot off outside the three point line.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SonofaLegend said:

This team is vulnerable from outside. Personally I would be chasing them off the line, let conner contest in the paint, run a zone that will not allow a three point shot. They were tough shots, but they were still allowed to get them off. Once a player catches fire, don't let them get a shot off outside the three point line.

During their run though it was 5 different players making a 3.  Eaglestaff looked good!

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Just deleted a classic "old-man-shouting-at-clouds" diatribe re: "regular season championships", karma, confetti cannons, and premature celebrations.

Hoping most of you didn't see it; it was a doozy - and, frankly, pathetic.

Wish it was within my nature to genuinely enjoy wonderful milestones like tonight without picking them apart.

I think I'll at least try not to spoil it for anyone else:  CELEBRATE ALL VICTORIES (and "regular season championships" - lol).

Relief Sigh GIF by DefyTV

Since I didn't get to read it could we at least get another diatribe about coaches dressing like they are walking at the mall?

And one more thing....GET OFF MY LAWN!

In all seriousness, I appreciate your self awareness.  My wife is hoping some of it will rub off on me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1