ORU vs. North Dakota (2/16/23)

Dr. Cornelius

ORU has lost some big leads over the last couple of years but still in the end has won all of those games.  If you have watched some college basketball over the years that is what usually happens when a team is behind by 20-25.  They may make a run to tie it up but in the end it is very hard to secure the victory.  I have seen many teams over the years but rarely do they come all the way back and win.  It takes so much effort to comeback that usually the team cannot finish the victory.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

During their run though it was 5 different players making a 3.  Eaglestaff looked good!

Yeah, I mean, if those guys aren't gutted by the portal, they seem like a potentially pretty dangerous team next year. I think i would like to see them in the summit tourney though. Grudge match. What are the odds we go thaaaat cold, and they shoot 9-10 from 3 over a stretch like that again 🥵

• Like 1

I don't know that these guys are used to playing in front of big crowds like that. One team with nothing to lose, hit the lottery and couldn't miss (is there an extremely soft rim by the student section), Max was missing shots that he normally does not miss, and it rattled the guys.

More pressure on the role players to deliver on drives, as the lead kept dwindling, and the crowd growing awkwardly quiet. It was a perfect storm that we weathered, and I'm glad we escaped with our unblemished conference record. Houston lost at home to Temple. That's what makes basketball so exciting, David is always taking out Goliath. We are Goliath. 

• Like 1

Great point about the crowd coming “awkwardly quiet.” I’ve been going to post something about the very nice crowd we had on Thursday night, fidgeting in their seats and murmuring as we watched our sizeable lead bleed away. I suppose we should have been loud and supportive of the team during that spell, but I believe everyone expected things to turn around before it got so drastic. As I have noted before, one of the wonderful things about this team is they find a way to win in the end. And once again, they managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

• Like 1