ORU vs. North Dakota (2/16/23)

Dr. Cornelius

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU cutting down the Nets??????......i think I would wait until Sioux Falls.....just my take.......image.jpeg.71b14002fc9c06cb41b026485c4e992a.jpeg

Well, I would agree, but maybe it's about letting the fans enjoy and be a part of it. Otherwise, feels a bit wrong cutting down nets after an ending like that. 😂

• Like 2

A regular season title is very nice...BUT.....it gets you VERY LITTLE.....a #1 seed and a day off after game one if we win....and we could wind up vs. UND again or possibly Omaha who also played us tough.....TheEagleman understands the moment and desire to give the home crowd a special time....BUT.....if we don't win those 3 games up in Sioux Falls it's going to seem rather hollow when we tip off  in the NIT......again just my take......🙄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

First time 15-0 in conference play and first Summit League Champs in 11 years! G0 Eagles

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theeagleman5 said:

A regular season title is very nice...BUT.....it gets you VERY LITTLE.....a #1 seed and a day off after game one if we win....and we could wind up vs. UND again or possibly Omaha who also played us tough.....TheEagleman understands the moment and desire to give the home crowd a special time....BUT.....if we don't win those 3 games up in Sioux Falls it's going to seem rather hollow when we tip off  in the NIT......again just my take......🙄

Maybe it tough to stay motivated when your up big but they still have to execute. Don't know why they went away from having Carlos and Kareem working inside.😦 Winning the conference is no sure thing. 40 min of basketball!!!💪

• Like 1

Was there an actual net cutting ceremony in 2008? I do remember NDSU wanting to cut the Mabee nets in 2009 🤔

Agreed 1984....a 10-12 minute lapse like that in Sioux Falls will surely send us home...yeah it probably can be hard some nights when you get up by 27 points vs. a bad team but geez this game tonight looked like the Summit Final in 2021 vs. NDSU....ORU was one 3 point bomb from losing....and not the first time this season we have blown big leads at home....ie: Missouri St. and Omaha...24-4 is awesome but the  Good Guys need a come to Jesus meeting or it will all be for naught....😮

• Like 1

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Very weird game tonight. Lots of high fives with @OKC Eagleand @Sterns78during the first half. ND COULDN'T buy a basket in the first half.  And ORU inside game was fire. We were all feeling good...then...

I'm not sure what changed, but NOTHING was falling in the 2nd for us and they started bombing threes. I'd like to know their 3% for 2nd half. I think we backed off the inside game because even layups were bouncing out on what is typically the "soft rim" end. Just, strange. We were screaming at Mills to take a T.O. Still don't understand that (bad) strategy. That last 3 attempt by ND was 10' in front of us, so we were on edge. Happy with the win, but it was tense. 

The ceremony WAS fun, and a nice treat for the home crowd. Agree it's maybe not worth a lot w/o the conference tourney win, but there's no reason to disparage it!

GREAT TIME TO BE AN EAGLE FAN!!!

UND went 9-10 from three point range in their second half run.  That is off the charts at any level: NBA, College or High School.   I thought they were contested threes but the Hawks were just on fire.  UND had five guys in the game who could shoot the three, much like ORU has done in the past.  It just shows that the three point shot can make the bottom team the best team in the league.  The Hawks hit 16 threes tonight and their school record is 17.  

When the Eagles were struggling, McBride hit some big shots.  Kareem had 6 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 assists, what a stat line.  Still waiting for him to have a triple double night!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t watch the second half until after the game, and already knew the outcome.  I was expecting to see a lackluster effort from a team up by 22 that thought they had “won” the game in the first half.  But, that wasn’t the case at all. The effort was still strong, but the shots just weren’t falling - and the Hawks got RED hot from WAY downtown.   Was there some poor shot selection and/or forced shots? Yes, but most of the forced shots were from Max, and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Did UND get some uncontested threes?  Maybe a couple.  But, they also hit some threes from Max-range, that no one is going to stop.  

The hero tonight was Issac McBride, who scored five consecutive points around the 4:30 mark to help quell the momentum. And, I have to give props to some exceptional play in the first half that built a big enough lead to allow for a cold shooting second half.   A win is a win.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yeah...the final 5-6 minutes were a heart attack but TheEagleman is proud of this team and our 24-4 start...we can't win every game by 20....tonight was a learning moment that no game vs any team is over until the final buzzer sounds....final 3 regular season games will be a tune up for Sioux Falls so let's get ready to rumble....😎

• Like 1

Great crowd tonight, close to 7,500!  Can we get 8 or 9,000 for Senior Night?  Good chance.  Thanks to all who showed support in the Championship win!

Obviously my group should have moved to the other end of Mabee at halftime. The team shooting at our basket won 92-51. Just glad ORU’s half was slightly more decisive. 

• Haha 1

Just deleted a classic "old-man-shouting-at-clouds" diatribe re: "regular season championships", karma, confetti cannons, and premature celebrations.

Hoping most of you didn't see it; it was a doozy - and, frankly, pathetic.

Wish it was within my nature to genuinely enjoy wonderful milestones like tonight without picking them apart.

I think I'll at least try not to spoil it for anyone else:  CELEBRATE ALL VICTORIES (and "regular season championships" - lol).

Relief Sigh GIF by DefyTV

• Upvote 2

Yes it was a rough finish but still a historic night for ORU.  Coach Mills wins his 100th game at ORU and Max hits his 400th three pointer.  ORU's record of 24-4 is the Eagles best start since the 71-72 season.  

Coach Mills will have a lot to rant about in film study tomorrow.  It was interesting that he did not do the post game interview but sent Coach Patterson to talk to Adam.  I thought Patterson made a good point: it is much easier to win three games in a tournament then to consistently play at a high level and win a conference regular season championship over 18 games.

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Yes it was a rough finish but still a historic night for ORU.  Coach Mills wins his 100th game at ORU and Max hits his 400th three pointer.  ORU's record of 24-4 is the Eagles best start since the 71-72 season.  

Coach Mills will have a lot to rant about in film study tomorrow.  It was interesting that he did not do the post game interview but sent Coach Patterson to talk to Adam.  I thought Patterson made a good point: it is much easier to win three games in a tournament then to consistently play at a high level and win a conference regular season championship over 18 games.

???

I did not hear Coach Patterson; I heard Coach Mills (though much later than usual). 

Coach Mills was complimentary of UND and said "Winning is hard".  Said he would rather be watching the game film than celebrating a regular season championship or "being interviewed by Adam". (lol)

Perhaps Coach Patterson was sent in advance because Coach Mills was delayed?