Coach Mills

dave

Unfortunately, the NCAA tournament selection committee has been penalizing people because they are poor and rewarding people because they are rich for years.  But I love the word play.

• Upvote 3

MORE HEAT!!

(BTW, does this sound like anyone trying to suck-up to P5 athletic directors for a head coaching job?)

13 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

As a Coach you stand up for the team and put them in the best light.  If he does not speak up for ORU then who would? Just win the tournament and it won't matter.

Love that coach is out there early lobbying! Every good coach does. We have a great record and good quality loses and no bad losses, but no real signature wins so I think the selection committee will continue to view the Summitt as a one bid league.

But Keenan is exactly right... "Just win the tournament and it won't matter." 

• Upvote 3

Pretty obvious Coach Mills is not interested in making any new friends in either the conference office or in South Dakota.

Is this setting the groundwork for reasons he might leave?

Not a fan of this. Worried about the trickle down effect here. Is this really the narrative we want playing the heads of our players? Victim vs killer mentality. Complain after the season. 

• Upvote 3

Coach Mills isn't wrong....but TheEagleman agrees that I wouldn't have said this in a news conference....let your AD deal with it in league meetings.....agree that the set up is NOT FAVORABLE to the #1 seed....but this has been how they have done it since the beginning....it ain't likely changing......:hc_mills:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Coach Mills isn't wrong....but TheEagleman agrees that I wouldn't have said this in a news conference....let your AD deal with it in league meetings.....agree that the set up is NOT FAVORABLE to the #1 seed....but this has been how they have done it since the beginning....it ain't likely changing......:hc_mills:

Coach Mills has never spoken about the conference like that before, and usually when a coach does it means their agents phone is ringing...a lot!!

I hope it's not the case, but that clip sounded like a coach that doesn't care what the conference thinks, and that usually means he might be heading to a different one. Again, I hope that's not why he said those things, in public.

Hang in there coach, 3 more wins... Bring it home!!!

• Upvote 1

Agree with ORU40.....Coach doesn't seem to care what the Summit bigwigs think about him....so he is either thinking of bolting or....he just doesn't care.....again, Coach Mills is totally spot on with his criticism....the fact that the #1 seed doesn't know who they play until 24 hrs before the game is crazy and frankly the winner of the regular season in some conferences get a bye to the finals....or at least the Semis....what's the carrot in winning the regular season?....same would have gone last year for 18-0 SDSU who dominated all year...if they had lost in the tournament it would have been unfair.....but again I guess it's all about the dollars.....TheEagleman still does not think Paul Mills will leave ORU...he could just have been voicing his frustrations with a mickey mouse league who fails to get teams on ESPN or anywhere during the season.....but who knows....maybe Coach will be at OU next season....sure hope not.....:hc_mills:

Do any of the other Summit coaches ever complain publicly about the situation? If they do, would we even hear about it? Just wondering.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ORUalum11 said:

Not a fan of this. Worried about the trickle down effect here. Is this really the narrative we want playing the heads of our players? Victim vs killer mentality. Complain after the season. 

If it's being used psychologically, I'm guessing it's the tried-and-true "Men, it's us against the world" trope, to prevent any over-confidence on the team's part.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

If it's being used psychologically, I'm guessing it's the tried-and-true "Men, it's us against the world" trope, to prevent any over-confidence on the team's part.

I agree.

And it's true. The team will have to play in front of some hostile crowds to come away victorious.

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Completely disagree, you lobby and make your at large bid case pre-tourney. But you do not make excuses or allow anything resembling excuses to get to the team before the tourney. You tell them the truth...win or no NCAA's. Your mindset and presentation to the team is nothing matters but us playing our best this week. We can achieve our goal this week. Period!!

You can complain about the league, the format, the weather, whatever you want after the tourney, Right Now, it's we'll kick anyone's a$$ they put in in front of us, No excuses...PERIOD!!

You lobby pre-tourney and complain post-tourney! We are bada$$'s not victims...It's winning time regardless of anything! 

Champions don't make excuses!! Go Eagles!!!

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Totally agree.  I don’t think Coach Mills has given a SECOND of thought to where he wants to be next season.  He is fully focused on winning three games in Sioux Falls (and calling it the Dakota Invitational aligns perfectly with that goal). 

I think we should be able to handle the “disadvantage” of not knowing whether to prepare to try to beat the #8 or #9 team, who will be playing a second straight day, a third time. A nice problem to have. 

• Upvote 1

Hey Mills.  NDSU has won this 4 times in suck falls with 90% sdsu fans.  it can easily be done.  in fact Revel in it... use it to your advantage..   the sdsu/usd fans at this event are the whiniest b_<<ches you'll ever see. it's almost comical.

go back & watch. some of my favorite sports moments was rushing the court with about 500 NDSU fans & waving bye bye & Chanting I 29 NORTH I 29 NORTH! 

screw em

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

Completely disagree, you lobby and make your at large bid case pre-tourney. But you do not make excuses or allow anything resembling excuses to get to the team before the tourney. You tell them the truth...win or no NCAA's. Your mindset and presentation to the team is nothing matters but us playing our best this week. We can achieve our goal this week. Period!!

You can complain about the league, the format, the weather, whatever you want after the tourney, Right Now, it's we'll kick anyone's a$$ they put in in front of us, No excuses...PERIOD!!

You lobby pre-tourney and complain post-tourney! We are bada$$'s not victims...It's winning time regardless of anything! 

Champions don't make excuses!! Go Eagles!!!

Never said I agreed with the approach; just suggesting what he might be trying to achieve if that's his reasoning. 

He wouldn't be the first coach to attempt convincing his team they were underdogs when in reality they weren't.

Different teams require different forms of motivation; the sign of a good coach is knowing which buttons to push when.

Here's hoping whatever his reasoning, it works...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1