The Mitchell Report (various installments 2022-23)

Old Titan

I somehow missed this tweet from earlier in the week, which is a shame because Greg Mitchell nails it, particularly Paul Mills for Coach of the Year - bravo!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I somehow missed this tweet from earlier in the week, which is a shame because Greg Mitchell nails it, particularly Paul Mills for Coach of the Year - bravo!

Excellent. I guess ORU can't really have a candidate for Freshman of the Year since we don't play any freshmen . . .

Yet another "If only someone would please beat ORU" angle from Greg Mitchell - dude is obsessed with seeing ORU stumble, even if only in his dreams...

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Yet another "If only someone would please beat ORU" angle from Greg Mitchell - dude is obsessed with seeing ORU stumble, even if only in his dreams...

All true, but once again, I actually like the article. It acknowledges that ORU "could certainly do it in grand fashion as the Golden Eagles approach just the second undefeated season in Summit League history," provides a good summary of the remaining challenges, and includes a blast from the past quoting Domo. Also this nugget: "the Golden Eagles are one of just four teams in the country with seven or more wins of 28 points or more." Cool.

3 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

Also this nugget: "the Golden Eagles are one of just four teams in the country with seven or more wins of 28 points or more." Cool.

That's a pretty awesome stat!!

I think one of the big reasons for this is, as we've discussed on here before, this team doesn't let off the gas once they have a big lead. We've had SO MANY TEAMS that lack that killer instinct. This team, by all appearances, has it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORUTex said:

All true, but once again, I actually like the article. It acknowledges that ORU "could certainly do it in grand fashion as the Golden Eagles approach just the second undefeated season in Summit League history," provides a good summary of the remaining challenges, and includes a blast from the past quoting Domo. Also this nugget: "the Golden Eagles are one of just four teams in the country with seven or more wins of 28 points or more." Cool.

You're right of course, but I have a reputation to uphold as a curmudgeon.

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Old Titan changed the title to The Mitchell Report (various installments 2022-23)

St. Thomas at NDSU on Thursday Night is a big game for that #3 seed and the chance to avoid ORU in the Semis....😬

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

In a sense, a sleeping giant may have finally and fully been awakened in the Midwest.

• Upvote 3

Nice story. Good to hear from Dominique Morrison. What a shame that team did not advance to the NCAA tournament. That game against Western Illinois was a study in coaching malpractice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Good article and liked the stat that said ORU was undefeated in conference play with an average margin of victory at around 17 points per game! On a side note, when SDSU was undefeated last year they won by an average of 14.4 points per game.

Classic Mitchell take:  Max sets an incredible record, and all Greg can say is "Yeah, but he's no Mike Daum!"  #smh

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Classic Mitchell take:  Max sets an incredible record, and all Greg can say is "Yeah, but he's no Mike Daum!"  #smh

Greg went to the school that taught opinionated and biased stories are real journalism. Welcome to 1984.  

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

How many NCAA tournament games did Daum win? Also, how many times did his SDSU teams get knocked out of the summit tourney by much lower seeds? I believe the answer is 0 and two which isn’t super impressive for such an accomplished player.

7 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

How many NCAA tournament games did Daum win? Also, how many times did his SDSU teams get knocked out of the summit tourney by much lower seeds? I believe the answer is 0 and two which isn’t super impressive for such an accomplished player.

Look, Mike Daum was a great player, but this is just pathetic. 

I guess he should throw in there that Max will also fall well short of Pete Maravich in NCAA career scoring as well. 

What's the point, other than deep down feeling that ORU doesn't deserve nice things??

• Upvote 1