The Mitchell Report (various installments 2022-23)

Old Titan

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Very funny but TheEagleman is guessing that Dan Akroyd's famous line in this skit would no longer be appropriate in 2023.....and TheEagleman is a guy who's middle name in INAPPROPRIATE.....😎

First line I thought of when Old Titan used the phrase point/counterpoint: "Eagleman, you ignorant..." 🤣

• Haha 1

TheEagleman loves it!!!...But I have been called a lot worse!!! image.jpeg.e8f610bb0935ac7667fed548a6d62aab.jpeg

Greg Mitchell continues his relentless campaign of "Anyone But ORU / Anyone But Max Abmas", this time in a freelance feature for Mid-MajorMadness.com,

I'm wondering how a team that is four games back of ORU and who at best can only hope for a series split after already losing by double-digits can be considered "in Summit contention".  #smh

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Greg Mitchell continues his relentless campaign of "Anyone But ORU / Anyone But Max Abmas", this time in a freelance feature for Mid-MajorMadness.com,

I'm wondering how a team that is four games back of ORU and who at best can only hope for a series split after already losing by double-digits can be considered "in Summit contention".  #smh

The crowds swelled?  According to the box scores at espn they had 937 on Thursday and 1,534 on Saturday. 1,534 is 30% of capacity. Maybe they should try free tickets 😛

45 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

The crowds swelled?  According to the box scores at espn they had 937 on Thursday and 1,534 on Saturday. 1,534 is 30% of capacity. Maybe they should try free tickets 😛

Yeah, at this rate they may have to break out that upper level of bleachers that probably never get used except for the indoor tractor pulls.  #highschool

Fnl57y6XwAApKsc.jpeg

Western Illinois has been at or near the bottom of college basketball for most of the school's history.  They never have made an NCAA or NIT tournament.  For them this has been a great year.  Coach Jeter basically brought in a whole new team to play around Massner.  So let them have a little recognition.

ORU and Max will receive the awards at the end of the year, as they should.  Massner is having an outstanding year: 1st in assists, 2nd in points, 3rd in steals, and 12th in rebounding in the Summit League.  Any other year and he would be player of the year.  Just shows what a stud Max is and how good the Eagles are!

10 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Western Illinois has been at or near the bottom of college basketball for most of the school's history.  They never have made an NCAA or NIT tournament.  For them this has been a great year.  Coach Jeter basically brought in a whole new team to play around Massner.  So let them have a little recognition.

ORU and Max will receive the awards at the end of the year, as they should.  Massner is having an outstanding year: 1st in assists, 2nd in points, 3rd in steals, and 12th in rebounding in the Summit League.  Any other year and he would be player of the year.  Just shows what a stud Max is and how good the Eagles are!

I don't begrudge WIU, or any other school in the Summit League, getting "a little recognition."  I just would like Mr. Mitchell and others to give that recognition without bias and blatant inaccuracies in the reporting.  I don't think that's too much to ask from someone who is employed by the league.

• Like 1

Massner is the real deal.  He lit us up for 11 points on 4-15 shooting (1-9 from 3) on January 12.

Seriously though, watching the game January 12, I recognized Massner as someone who had killed us in previous years (I don't pay much attention to our opponents' overall stats), but had to note how ordinary we made him look this year.  Maybe he just had an off night.  Certainly don't want his current streak to continue when we go there on the 11th.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/31/2023 at 5:29 PM, Old Titan said:

Losing by 30 at Denver tonight isn’t going to help keep them in contention either. 

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Such a joke. Current POY flavor-of-the-week Trent Massner held to 9 points on something like 4-for-12 shooting.

It’s telling how, once guys like Grant Nelson at NDSU and Massner at WIU get a little national run after a nice game or two, they get totally shut down once they become the focus of the opposing team’s scouting report. 

Meanwhile, Max Abmas has played with a freaking bullseye on his back for three seasons now, and has consistently delivered, even though the VERY FIRST LINE of every opponent’s “keys to success” in the pregame locker room is “#1 Stop Max Abmas”.

Max is double-teamed and triple-teamed everywhere he goes, against every team's best defenders, and he still scores 25-30 ppg. The only successful defender against Max comes from within - Max "only" scored 18 against Omaha the other night, but it wasn't because of their stifling defense. Max was getting open looks, his shots just weren't falling. I almost posted this after the game: if ONE SINGLE STAT in the box score had been different, then the game wouldn't have been close - if Max had scored his usual 28-30 points, the game would have been over early, and the psychological effect of that may have led to a much wider point margin. But it didn't go that way, and that's why we play the games.

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:00 PM, Otis 83 said:

To be fair, Macomb is a small, rural town of 21,000 people. The old saw, "you can't get there from here" truly applies to Macomb - teams have to fly into St. Louis or Chicago and bus to Macomb. They just don't have the resources to draw  from that we do here. 

The Tulsa metro population currently stands at just over one million.

40 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

To be fair, Macomb is a small, rural town of 21,000 people. The old saw, "you can't get there from here" truly applies to Macomb - teams have to fly into St. Louis or Chicago and bus to Macomb. They just don't have the resources to draw  from that we do here. 

The Tulsa metro population currently stands at just over one million.

The enrollment at WIU is over 2 times the enrollment at ORU.  To be fair, I'd say we had almost as many students attend our recent home stand as they had in total attendance when "the crowds swelled."

• Haha 1