Deep Dives: at Saint Mary's 11/7

Old Titan

That is a good find Terry!  Poor DJ Weaver stuck in the post, that pretty much sums it up!  Saw enough of that last year to last a lifetime!

Thinking the Eagles also need to force some turnovers and get out in transition because if this game is just a grind it out half court match then ORU is in trouble.  Besides Houston, this is maybe the toughest game of the season.  St. Mary's should be an NCAA tournament team this year.  Last I saw, ESPN had them as an 11 seed in the bracket.

Serious question... 

I'm intrigued by this statement: "and Mills might be forced to trade offensive matchup problems like Mwamba for more minutes from Herron if the Gaels are successfully running everything through the block."  I had understood that Mwamba was also highly-regarded for his defensive abilities.  If this is true, would Herron really be considered as a significant improvement over Mwamba?  While Sir Issac does have a two inch height advantage on Patrick, they seem to have a similar frame.  And, while I really like Sir Issac as a player, I've never thought of him as a defensive "stopper".  Am I missing something? 

The author may have an idea of how ORU plays but does not know all the details such as you mentioned about Mwamba being more of a defensive stopper.  Herron will probaly be similar to DJ in the post, in that he will need to use his athletic ability to try and block shots because he usually gives up about 30 pounds to opposing big men.

St. Mary's top returning big man is a guy who averaged 3 points a game last year, so unless they have some new player that is really great, I don't think they are going to control the paint.  They do have a 7'4 big man who transferred from Utah but only averaged 1 point for the Utes.  Would be interesting to see him and Connor battle it out inside.