"Reaching The Summit" Podcast

Old Titan

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

And yet, the Jackrabbits STILL continue to get votes in some mid-major polls, and are STILL the darlings of the "Reaching The Summit" power rankings. #smh

Thought the exact same thing!! 

SDSU has been very up and down this season.  They have three older players (Mayo, Appel, and Charlie Easley) who are really good leaders  but the rest of the team is pretty young.  So 6 of their top 9 guys are freshmen or sophmores.  

The Jackrabbits are still the favorites but they have some new guys that are figuring out how to play winning basketball.  I think NDSU has looked better than the Jackrabbits and has a couple of solid wins on the road.

Jackrabbits ended up winning by 20, but still...

Guard Charley Easley did not play for some reason; he battled injuries last year and is easily their most effective defender out top.  Zekw Mayo is streaky defensively; plays lockdown "D" only when he feels like it.

They said ORU's wish list is to add some more depth but failed to mention that Williams and Miller have missed time with injuries.  Once those two guys return then ORU should have 9 players that can be in the rotation.  

I also thought it was interesting that McBride said Kareem learned a lot from his time playing with Francis Lacis.  They were together for two years but never thought of Lacis mentoring Kareem.  Nice insight from McBride.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 9:14 AM, Old Titan said:

Linked without comment (I haven't listened to it yet); Issac McBride included on this episode:

I finally got around to listening to this yesterday....or most of it at least.  I encourage anyone who hasn't listened to the Issac McBride interview to do so.  You will be glad you did.  He's got to be one of the higher quality human beings to put on a uniform for our beloved university.  He represents us to well and makes no effort to put his candle under a bushel...if you will.

I appreciate these guys putting out this podcast.  Our humble little mid major league doesn't get a lot of coverage and sometimes I struggle to find the energy to read all the midwest papers that cover the teams in the league.  For the most part, the hosts seem mostly objective.  At least as objective as people with their addresses and accents can be 🙂

That having been said (some of you knew this was coming) it does have a bit of a Wayne's World feel to it.  Balance the levels on the mics for crying out loud.  I turn up the volume to hear one host only to be deafened when the other host talks next.  One of the guys clearly is sitting in his living room with his family playing board games in the background.  The chatter is audible throughout this episode.  "Hey sorry, eh, but we can't get your mic to work.  Sorry folks."  Okay, that's enough snark I guess. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know why I waste my time listening to this drivel.

The first FORTY MINUTES of this week's one-hour-and-twenty-minute installment focused entirely on two games:  SDSU vs. USD, and UND vs. NDSU.  

Then they hurried through all of TWO MINUTES talking about how formidible Denver looked in losing to....(who was that team again?).  

Only mentioned tied-for-third ORU in passing during those precious 120 seconds, talking about Issac McBride in comparison to Tommy Bruner of Denver. 

Literally spent more time earlier in the podcast discussing a goal tending call in the SDSU-USD game, whether Andrew Morgan of NDSU is a true post player or not, and how apparently dangerous NDSU and USD are, despite sitting in 8th and 9th place respectively in conference play.

I give up...

(Actually, I'm thinking of volunteering to provide these guys a 5-10 minute capsule each week they could simply imbed within their tundra-centric dronings, titled "South of the 40th Parallel" and featuring actual insights re: ORU, UMKC, Denver and Omaha.)

At least that way, I wouldn't have to bother sifting through all this reindeer poop every Monday afternoon. 🦌 💩

• Like 2

I could be wrong but don't these guys do the commentary for NDSU and SDSU games?   They really know a lot about these teams and are primarily paid to focus on them.  How many non Dakota games do they see every year?  Maybe a couple.  It would be good if the podcast could bring in some others who are not as biased or who cover other Summit League teams.  Until that happens we might as well call it the Dakota show.  

44 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The first FORTY MINUTES of this week's one-hour-and-twenty-minute installment focused entirely on two games:  SDSU vs. USD, and UND vs. NDSU.  

Then they hurried through all of TWO MINUTES talking about how formidible Denver looked in losing to....(who was that team again?).  

Only mentioned tied-for-third ORU in passing during those precious 120 seconds, talking about Issac McBride in comparison to Tommy Bruner of Denver. 

Literally spent more time earlier in the podcast discussing a goal tending call in the SDSU-USD game, whether Andrew Morgan of NDSU is a true post player or not, and how apparently dangerous NDSU and USD are, despite sitting in 8th and 9th place respectively in conference play.

I give up...

(Actually, I'm thinking of volunteering to provide these guys a 5-10 minute capsule each week they could simply imbed within their tundra-centric dronings, titled "South of the 40th Parallel" and featuring actual insights re: ORU, UMKC, Denver and Omaha.)

At least that way, I wouldn't have to bother sifting through all this reindeer poop every Monday afternoon. 🦌 💩

Thanks for the PSA.  I haven't listened to this podcast since the week after the Issac McBride interview.  I just couldn't get past all the background noise from whoever it is that does the podcast from his kitchen table while his family is playing scrabble.  A few days ago I was headed out for some aerobics points and I thought about listening but decided to listen to a podcast with three Dallas Morning News sports writers instead.

58 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I give up...

In all seriousness, you should.  They would probably welcome it and have you on the pod if you wanted - would love to give that one a listen... lol  🍿  Their contributor for ORU is a Jacks fan.

Edited by nodak651

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

In all seriousness, you should.  They would probably welcome it and have you on the pod if you wanted - would love to give that one a listen... lol  🍿  Their contributor for ORU is a Jacks fan.

Tim Hill is not the problem.  He’s a great dude who at least makes no bones of being an SDSU alum and fan.  

The podcast hosts, however, are that typical Upper Midwest brand of “What, did I say something wrong?” mock civility that I find frustrating and wearisome.

Though it could be worse, I suppose.  Could be Canadian! 🤣

Anyway, I’m sure my unique blend of opinionated-bordering-on-brutal takes and conspiracy theory paranoia would no doubt make for an awkward fit with these three affable Northerners.

(…even though I suppose it might make for great theatre.) 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Old Titan said:

You are our Rush Limbaugh for ORU basketball news.  You listen to painful content (and report) so we don't have to. 

• Haha 3