"Reaching The Summit" Podcast

Old Titan

18 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I've done my best to avoid this podcast all season but you finally goaded me into it @Old Titan.  Not the worst podcast I've ever listened to and I actually enjoyed hearing all the Summit league talk leading up to the tournament.  Like @Dave ConnorI thoroughly enjoyed the paywall rant.  They made some really good points and I'm going to weave some of them into the email to Commissioner Hockey that I started drafting today.  They did seem optimistic that a solution is coming soon but I'm still going to express my opinion to the Commish.

Check out the previous podcast with Adam Hildebrand; it's good too.

But, all the shows before those have two things in common:

1. It's obvious none of the three had watched ORU play yet; they were just going by the box scores, and
  2. Consequently, they kept taking "just wait and see" jabs at ORU's defense and Paul Mills' coaching , both of which this year do not resemble any of his previous seasons.

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Check out the previous podcast with Adam Hildebrand; it's good too.

But, all the shows before those have two things in common:

1. It's obvious none of the three had watched ORU play yet; they were just going by the box scores, and
  2. Consequently, they kept taking "just wait and see" jabs at ORU's defense and Paul Mills' coaching , both of which this year do not resemble any of his previous seasons.

I added it to my library and saw they interviewed Adam. I will definitely check that out. 

I've listened to two installments of this podcast now.  It has a bit of a Wayne's World feel to it.  "Hey guys I have to return this work call so could you talk about everyone except Oral Roberts and I'll get back as soon as I can."  One of the guys referred to our center as "Connover" repeatedly.  smh

While there is a clear Dakotas bent, they do study the league and are well versed on WIU, STU and ORU as well, player's names not withstanding.  

They did make some interesting points about Mills and the ORU coaching staff and the job they've done building and maintaining the roster.  First of all to recruit Max, Carlos, Kareem and DJ and still have them on the roster this season.  Max, obviously, being the greatest accomplishment.  The point they made is that if a coach loses a player through the portal that doesn't mean the coach did something wrong.  They cited Obanor, Scheierman and Griesal as examples.  But if a coach doesn't lose a marquee player they must be doing something right.   

They also cited the value of maintaining the quality of the roster by attracting Vanover, McBride, Mwamba and Phipps through the portal.  I think that's a really good point.  While Obanor was a loss, I would say looking at the total picture ORU is winning in the portal.

I don't know if this podcast is going to work its way into my regular rotation but at this time of the year I enjoyed it enough while I was out earning some aerobic points this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

I don't know if this podcast is going to work its way into my regular rotation but at this time of the year I enjoyed it enough while I was out earning some aerobic points this week.

Otis, pace yourself on the aerobic points. We have 3 games in 4 days, and you'll get plenty of exercise jumping up and yelling at the ref's! The Eagles need you jumping up just as quickly and yelling just as fanatically in that 3rd game as the first. 

We need you ready to go all 40 minutes of all 3 games... it's tourney time!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Speaking of pacing....ORU has 3 games in 4 nights and we need Coach Mills to be smart and deepen that bench in the first two games.....might not be a shock if Max and Vanover are nursing bum knees that we see Coach go 10 deep....lots of Mwamba, Weaver and Phipps...with maybe a little Williams and Clover sprinkled in....would just make sense to save the big guns for the Final on Tuesday Night.....Can't expect all these guys to play over 100 minutes combined in 4 nights.....but then again, what does TheEagleman know?....just hoping Coach doesn't run these guys into the ground and we watch them sputter to the final buzzer against the Jacks.....our two best players need to get a blow for a few minutes each half and go to the bench if ORU is up 20 or more.....I know most of you guys are with me on this.....👍:hc_mills:👍

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

Otis, pace yourself on the aerobic points. We have 3 games in 4 days, and you'll get plenty of exercise jumping up and yelling at the ref's! The Eagles need you jumping up just as quickly and yelling just as fanatically in that 3rd game as the first. 

We need you ready to go all 40 minutes of all 3 games... it's tourney time!!! 

Trust me 40. Otis is always ready to go 40 minutes. Three games in four days is nothing I can’t handle. 😜🫀🫁🏀

3 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Trust me 40. Otis is always ready to go 40 minutes. Three games in four days is nothing I can’t handle. 😜🫀🫁🏀

Otis my man, that's good to hear... love the enthusiasm. A little concerned about you going third person though, particularly without the spread, a beer emoji or a chianti reference!  Don't want you to have a problem with @theeagleman5 

You know me, just trying to be the peacemaker!!!

• Haha 1

Otis and TheEagleman are blood brothers....ORU all the way!!!!😍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Well said @theeagleman5, were all blood brothers in our support of the Eagles.

Its Tourney time!! the only thing that matters is us winning the Summit championship and advancing to the Big Dance!!!!

I'm with Bogus...lets run through that wall. OUR TIME IS NOW!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

The Eagleman and I are always in a good place. Never a hint of acrimony between us….even when he gives me the business about Cowboys playoff failures over the last 25+ years. I have nothing but love for @theeagleman5

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Is there an ORU podcast?

Is there a UND podcast?

• 7 months later...

First "Reaching The Summit" podcast of the new season. 

Same three snowbirds as last year's podcast, relentlessly making the case for the usual suspects above the 40th Parallel (SDSU, NDSU and St. Thomas) while disparaging ORU's preseason 2nd Place preseason projection. 

Pretty obvious they have no clue (or interest) re: ORU's newcomers or new head coach Russell Springmann, while gushing over all the freshmen and transfers (and making excuses for the less-successful coaches) at their favorite Northern programs (though they do have some very kind words re. Issac McBride following his appearance at Summit League Media Day).

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe they should just rename this podcast....REACHING........🤢

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

They did put Jalen Miller on their All Newcomer 2nd team.  The article basically said that he has experience and that Miller is catching on sooner than the younger guys have.  The podcast thinks he will make a good addition to the backcourt of McBride and Thompson.  

Reaching the Summit also likes Williams and Thompson to have breakout years in 23-24.

• 1 month later...

And yet, the Jackrabbits STILL continue to get votes in some mid-major polls, and are STILL the darlings of the "Reaching The Summit" power rankings. #smh

• Upvote 1