"Reaching The Summit" Podcast

Old Titan

A trio of guys from north of the 40th Parallel who - shockingly! - predict that SDSU (or maybe even USD) will find a way to finish in front of ORU this season.

They also give a sneak peak of "The Almanac" preseason Summit rankings, which - shockingly! - makes the same prediction.

Ya know, it may turn out that all these prognostications will ultimately be accurate, but for some reason it still bugs the heck out of me that ORU gets so little respect from these self-described Summit League experts, and how often it appears they don't really know much about the program other than what they see whenever ORU plays one of their favorite teams.

• Upvote 1

The one guy think it is Greg said he has now has some interest in ORU because his daughter just enrolled as a freshman at ORU.  It is in the first podcast, where they talk to South Dakota's new coach.  Maybe she can influence him to have a change of heart about the Eagles!  Daughters can usually soften a dad's heart!

• Like 1

It's hard to pick against SDSU. The Jackrabbits are 40-6 in Summit League play over the past three seasons.

Good to hear Coach Crutchfield talk about his ties to ORU and how he and his new assistant (K. Brown) worked together with the Eagles.  He did not mention Warren Niles, another assistant.  Of course, Warren had a good career at ORU and is probably around 7-8 on the all-time scoring list.  Omaha is turning into ORU north!

Latest installment of the "Reaching The Summit" podcast; with an ORU deep-dive (full of head-scratching insights) right off the top:

Latest installment, where two of the guys basically apologize for picking ORU at the top, while the third guy unabashedly picks SDSU, hinting that he's basically going on history.  Most of their time is spent making a case for how SDSU can still win the league; rather than talking about why they picked ORU.

The home game against SDSU (12/19) with the students probably gone is huge.

Two different scenarios where you have to SHOW ME before I believe...

• Will SDSU's players be able to take up the slack left by Wilson and Scheierman?
  • Will somebody stop SDSU (who has gone 40-6 over the last 3 seasons)?

19 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

• Will SDSU's players be able to take up the slack left by Wilson and Scheierman?

The podcast mentioned something that SDSU does as well as anyone in America:  defend on the road.

They have an uncanny ability to stay out of foul trouble in road games, which no doubt contributed to their perfect record in conference play last year.

Of course, it helps when you combine that with an efficient and high-scoring offense (case in point: their 106-102 win in the Mabee Center last year where they only committed 16 fouls in a free-wheeling overtime contest).

• Old Titan changed the title to "Reaching The Summit" Podcast

TRANSLATION:  “Oral Roberts was the only school in the league to play meaningful games this past week, but we don’t feel like talking about them, so we’re not.  But next week, our recap of how SDSU, USD, and St. Thomas fared in the first week of conference play, and which bench players on their rosters enjoyed career highs in mop-up duty!”

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/18/2022 at 1:40 PM, Dr. Cornelius said:

No and yes!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another hour wasted, or at least another hour of exacerbation.  Here's a breakdown:

• First third of the show is literally "Let's talk about places 2-through-7" in the conference standings, with only passing reference to No. 1 ORU's success so far, like some sort of terminal illness that can't be avoided and is best not discussed.
  • Middle of the show is the best part, interviewing former Golden Eagle nemesis and KC Roos radio guy Michael Watson.  He is VERY complimentary of Max Abmas, in stark contrast to the three hosts.  Just sounds like a great guy.
  • Final third of the show is all three hosts (I kid you not) making their case for Trent Massner of Western Illinois as conference Player Of The Year over Max Abmas.

Listen at your own peril...

Very fond memories of the Roos Michael Watson in his bad boy days as a UMKC sharpshooter. He was the Kangaroo player we loved to hate!! The night he hung 54 points on the Golden Eagles, stomping on the Eli emblem at midcourt as he ran back on defense, stands out as one of the most memorable games ever for me.  He absolutely couldn't miss. At one point he was double teamed and trapped in the SW corner of the court. With nowhere to go with the ball, he just heaved it in the direction of the basket and it went in!! That's the kind of night he was having. It was the most points ever scored in a single game by a UMKC player. I believe there was some sort of altercation between Watson, his mom, and some ORU players or fans in the arena or outside in the parking lot after the game. Thankfully that didn't get too nasty. Since that time I believe he's had a conversion to Christ and a complete turnaround in his life. Happy to see him in a good place now. Incredibly, that game was back in 2003.

I'm sure this is brought up every time Watson's name comes up - at least when I'm posting on the board!😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Very fond memories of the Roos Michael Watson in his bad boy days as a UMKC sharpshooter. He was the Kangaroo player we loved to hate!! The night he hung 54 points on the Golden Eagles, stomping on the Eli emblem at midcourt as he ran back on defense, stands out as one of the most memorable games ever for me.  He absolutely couldn't miss. At one point he was double teamed and trapped in the SW corner of the court. With nowhere to go with the ball, he just heaved it in the direction of the basket and it went in!! That's the kind of night he was having. It was the most points ever scored in a single game by a UMKC player. I believe there was some sort of altercation between Watson, his mom, and some ORU players or fans in the arena or outside in the parking lot after the game. Thankfully that didn't get too nasty. Since that time I believe he's had a conversion to Christ and a complete turnaround in his life. Happy to see him in a good place now.

I'm sure this is brought up every time Watson's name comes up - at least when I'm posting on the board!😉

Watson holds the Mabee Center record for most points by an opposing player.

Richard Fuqua may have "built the Mabee Center", but Michael Watson has had some memorable nights' stay in it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY the podcast we all (well, at least ME) have been waiting for:  a deep-dive beyond the box scores that details the how's and why's of ORU's success this season, plus a great interview with Golden Eagle play-by-play man Adam Hildebrandt.

A complete about-face by all three hosts - they even have nice things to say about Paul Mills! (lol)

My theory on the turnaround?  I honestly don't think they had actually seen ORU play until Midco Sports finally covered an ORU game (the Saturday matinee at UND a couple of weekends ago).   One of the hosts did the color on that broadcast, and he exhibits perhaps the most dramatic change-of-heart.

For whatever reason, they are now true believers - an hour well-spent listening to their "conversion".

tim blake nelson water GIF 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest "Reaching The Summit" podcast, with predictions for the tournament.

Lots of praise again for ORU, who all three hosts pick to win it all in Sioux Falls.

• Upvote 1

For me, the two most interesting parts of this podcast were:

At the 26:55 mark they begin a 10-minute rant about SDSU making a big mistake by putting the best league game of the year behind a paywall. They point out many lost opportunities as a result of that decision.

At the 1:01:25 mark they wrap-up with a 10-minute tribute to ORU. 

• Upvote 1

I've done my best to avoid this podcast all season but you finally goaded me into it @Old Titan.  Not the worst podcast I've ever listened to and I actually enjoyed hearing all the Summit league talk leading up to the tournament.  Like @Dave ConnorI thoroughly enjoyed the paywall rant.  They made some really good points and I'm going to weave some of them into the email to Commissioner Hockey that I started drafting today.  They did seem optimistic that a solution is coming soon but I'm still going to express my opinion to the Commish.