Expectations for upcoming season

Keenan Henderson

Trying not to read too much into the outstanding montage of photos on this year's poster, but still:

Are the eight guys in the front the anticipated main rotation?

DJ Weaver on the back row?

Along with Trey Phipps?

Curious...🧐

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Trying not to read too much into the outstanding montage of photos on this year's poster, but still:

Are the eight guys in the front the anticipated main rotation?

DJ Weaver on the back row?

Along with Trey Phipps?

Curious...🧐

* Vanover pictured at actual size 😄

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

* Vanover pictured at actual size 😄

LOL - I thought the same thing!

That's at least what they want guys to think before testing him at the rim.

Seriously, though - putting transfer Patrick Mwamba so prominently in the "mix", and senior Weaver in the back with the redshirts and walk-ons?

I'm telling ya, proud young athletes notice that sort of thing; it's like getting the smaller locker in the corner by the door instead of on the other end near the showers.

You don't need Western Union/email/voicemail/text to receive that message loud and clear...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

You don't need Western Union/email/voicemail/text to receive that message loud and clear...

Agreed. The corner on the back row is an odd place to put a guy who's been a key contributor for 2 seasons now. 

4 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Agreed. The corner on the back row is an odd place to put a guy who's been a key contributor for 2 seasons now. 

Stop me if I've told this one before...  😉

40 years ago, I was seated next to Tulsa World sportswriter Dean Clark on press row of the Mabee Center during a big game. 

We found ourselves lamenting the play of a certain upperclassman of the then-Titans who was as talented as any 6'-8" player in the country, but who had a maddening habit of logging a 16-point, 8-rebound night including a couple of blocks and steals, only to follow it with a 1-for-8 shooting night with 2 boards, 4 turnovers, and 5 fouls.

"He's just good enough to get you beat," Clark wistfully commented.

That comment has re-surfaced in my mind time and time again over the years to describe really talented players such as that young man, who simply could not be counted on to deliver the goods night in and night out.

You get to the point where you think you can count on guys like that, including them as a major part of your game plan, giving them a ton of minutes with the first unit in practice, maybe making them a starter, only to be rewarded with wildly inconsistent and unreliable play that ultimately "gets you beat" for your troubles.

Sometimes with those guys, you just have to move on to the next man, who may not be as talented, but who consistently  gives you everything he has, particulary in his areas of strength.

Here's hoping DJ figures that out before it's too late; because when he's "on", he's all-conference material.

But, when he's a disengaged disappearing act, he's just good enough to get you beat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN just released their preseason “Matchup Predictor” for the upcoming season’s games.  They currently are only predicting 6(!) ORU losses this season: Saint Mary’s, Houston, Utah State, Tulsa @SDSU, and @SD, ending the season 24-6!

• Upvote 1

We wont lose to Tulsa....😉

• Like 6