Old vs new

Keenan Henderson

As we are enjoying the long offseason 😜, here is a topic idea: how would the new team (very talented 22-23 group) matchup up with past teams?  How would say the 05-06 NCAA tournament team matchup with this year's team.  

Here are some key players:

PG: Jonathon Bluitt vs Isaac McBride

SG: Ken Tutt vs Max (would be worth the price of admission)

SF: Larry Owens vs DJ Weaver

PF: Caleb Green vs Lufile (Big Maple)

Center: Mickey Michalec vs Plastic Man (Connor)

Feel free to pick different teams from the past

Well....TheEagleman has to say that this is a very interesting topic....short and sweet.....the 05-06 ORU team would beat the current group and the 20-21 bunch....but the 1972-73 and 73-74 squads would crush them both.....the 21st Century players would not be able to handle Fuqua, Roberts, Woods, McCants, McDougald, Vaughn, Boswell, Baker, Fox, etc.....those were very deep teams.....plus it's a totally different game from 50 years ago....but those Run and Gun Trickey teams were amazing.....Top 20 in the D-1 at the time.....TheEagleman can't really comment on the 84-85 team.....I only saw one game...will leave those boys to Old Titan and ORU40 who were there.....😎

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Well....TheEagleman has to say that this is a very interesting topic....short and sweet.....the 05-06 ORU team would beat the current group and the 20-21 bunch....but the 1972-73 and 73-74 squads would crush them both.....the 21st Century players would not be able to handle Fuqua, Roberts, Woods, McCants, McDougald, Vaughn, Boswell, Baker, Fox, etc.....those were very deep teams.....plus it's a totally different game from 50 years ago....but those Run and Gun Trickey teams were amazing.....Top 20 in the D-1 at the time.....TheEagleman can't really comment on the 84-85 team.....I only saw one game...will leave those boys to Old Titan and ORU40 who were there.....😎

84-85 had no post season despite a lot of hype in the preseason Loyola was a great team in the MCC for that season. The 83-84 team made the tourney and lost to Memphis St. Both would beat the current team

There ya go.....JMG picked me up....guess I meant the 84 tournament team with the Acres Bros.....honestly TheEagleman saw very little ORU basketball in the 80s and 90s as I was raising kids back then and not much Titan Basketball at all covered by the national media.....no internet...zip....it was a different world back then....I could perhaps sometimes find the Final Scores in the afternoon paper.....no details......🙄

• Like 1

How about the 2011-12 team that went 27-7 and made the NIT.  They had a strong starting five but not a big bench (went about 7 deep).

Here are the matchups:

Rod Pearson vs McBride  (One of the matchups the newer team would win)

Warren Niles vs Max  (Niles was an underrated guy who could score and had good size for defense)

DoMo vs Kareem or Patrick (no contest)

Steven Roundtree vs DJ

Damon Bell Holder vs Lufile or Connor  (interesting matchup)

The main line in these contests is that ORU's new team would have a slight advantage in the backcourt but have little to no chance against the older team's frontline.  Maybe that brings up another question: who were the top 10-15 teams in ORU history?   Pick about two or three from each decade.  I will start with the 2020's: Sweet 16 team and this year's team, the new team will be hungry and ready to improve on last year's record. Easy one.

How about best two teams from each decade: 70s through 2010s? Thanks for the input.

TheEagleman loved that 2011-12 ORU team.....I think they would beat the 2020-21 team also.....DoMo is a top 12 ORU all time player....Pearson was good....Niles was REAL good and DBH had his moments.....:circle-logoi:

15 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Rod Pearson vs McBride  (One of the matchups the newer team would win)

Wrong.

Rod Pearson was a cross between Patrick Beverly and Draymond Green, but without all the drama. 

Intense, physical, non-stop motor - a consummate glue guy.

He was unlike ANYONE Paul Mills has recruited so far. 

• Like 1

Didn't Rod Pearson make that big buzzer drive shot to win the game at Stanford?.....Pearson was a huge part of that team with DoMo, DBH, Niles and Tree....and TheEagleman forgot about Roundtree above....that kid was a wonderful player at times but inconsistant....problems off the court derailed his ORU career.....the 2011-12 squad got hosed out of an NCAA bid when they came up small and  we lost a brutal game to WIU in the Summit First Round.....i believe we may have been the first team out on the big board....ouch......😬

Ohhhhh....great basket by Pearson to beat IUPUI.....and TheEagleman loved those Gold Unis by the way.......😎

Sounds like you guys are saying that Pearson was a good defender, who could shut down a player like McBride on the offensive end.  Mills usually recruits scorers/offensive minded players and then tries to turn them into glue guys.  Ex. Kareem Thompson or Lacis

Thanks for posting that video, OT.  ESPN talked about ORU for a quite a long time.  Even mentioning their NCAA tournament wins.

• Like 1

Rod Pearson definitely one of the most underrated ORU Men's Basketball players of the 21st century.....how soon we forget....a tough hardnosed player that ORU could use on the court right now....and he was always good for a few clutch baskets....a 2 way player that we haven't seen at 7777 So. Lewis since his departure....too bad there are no clips of that buzzer beater at Stanford......:shield-logo:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

....too bad there are no clips of that buzzer beater at Stanford......:shield-logo:

I was at the game at Stanford - and there are definitely clips of Rod Person's buzzer-beater in my memory bank!

• Like 3

TheEagleman can still remember the Haxton radio call on that one.....he went nuts.....great shot by Pearson and I seem to recall a still photo or a short cellphone clip of the basket which went in at the .00 mark.....surely that Stanford victory is one of the Top 5 road wins for ORU in the past 2 decades......:circle-logoi:

We are forgetting a key player on the 2011-2012 squad - Michael Craion.  As I recall, he was a starter for most of the games, and part of the Kansas City connection - Morrison - Pearson - Craion.

I will never forget his last second driving lay-up, off a great assist from DoMo, to beat the Missouri Tigers at the Mabee Center.

• Upvote 4

Ahhhh Yesssss.....great pick up, 78......how can we forget Craion?....another tough scrappy player on that squad....and the Missouri win at Mabee was a classic....was that the same year we also beat Top 25 New Mexico at home?  In those days we used to get some top notch teams to come into our building....and we were good.....doesn't happen any more......can you say Haskell and SW Christian?......🥺

Yes, we beat New Mexico and Missouri at Mabee that season. I think New Mexico was ranked 12 at the time. Missouri was ranked as well, I thought in the top ten? 

Also, on the Pearson vs McBride thing, I am not remembering Pearson as being anything special overall. He was tough, and a decent offensive player, but I think McBride is a tough player too, with a better offensive game. 

• Like 1