Is Max the GOAT???

TrueBlue82

9 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Only been following ORU basketball off and on for twenty years.  So most of the guys that you mentioned ORU 40, I never saw and only hear from the guys on the forum how good they were.  So you make some good points.  To me, Max is the most dynamic player the Eagles have had in the last 20 years.  Caleb Green is better overall but Max has just brought such excitment to the program, with his ability to score and hit 30 foot jumpers.  Of course, Max also did like Curry in helping the Eagles on that tourney run, much like Curry did for Davidson a few years back.

Guessing Max patterns his game after Curry but of course Steph is a top 10-15 all time player.  So yeah Max will never reach that level but who will?

Don't get me wrong, Max is very good player and a great shooter, and the sweet 16 run brought our program back from a coma!! Put us back on the map and made ORU basketball relevant again. 

I just disagree with comparing a good player with great players because we may be viewing that player through a current filter that makes them seem a little better than they may actually be.  I think 25 years from now Max will remembered as a very good player on a team that caught lightning in a bottle and made a sweet 16 run. He's a great shooter, but not a great scorer at this point, if his 3's aren't dropping he has stretches in games where he is not a factor. Hopefully, he adds some additional ways of scoring this year like off the dribble and getting to the basket or a short floater and starts drawing more fouls and gets to the FT line more often.

IMHO for MAX to truly become one of ORU's all-time best players, he needs to be able to dominate games and not just when his 3's are falling. To truly be a great, your game needs to be timeless, Roberts, Acres, Green, Workman, McCants, Garrett and Duggar would be great in any era; with the 3 point shot or without it, in the 1970's or the 2020's, they could beat you scoring, on the glass, get a blocked shot or a steal when needed!!  I don't remember Max or anyone getting a steal last year for a breakaway layup, or a weak side defender coming over to help and taking a charge. (our entire team needs to improve their fundamentals, as a team we need to do the little things better) 

I hope Max has added some things to his game this year, he's improved athletically so hopefully his defense will improve, and his ability to get past his defender off the dribble. Max has the opportunity to be one of ORU's all-time best, but he needs to show more than just 3-point shooting to get there!!

• Like 1

TheEagleman thinks we should wait until Max's ORU career is over before evaluating how he stands against other ORU Guard greats....at this point we would all pretty much agree that the top guys are A. Roberts, R. Fuqua, S. McCants, A. Dugger, H. Workman, G. Sutton, T. Gill and K. Tutt in no particular order and not sure if we consider DoMo to be a 2-guard or small forward.....I kinda thought the latter but he did bring the ball up a lot......Max is surely going to take his place in the Top 10 ORU guards of all time but until he is finished it's difficult to say where he in the pecking order he belongs.....but if Max has another year in the Top 3 or 4 of NCAA scoring and leads ORU to another NCAA berth then he's going to move up on that list......:circle-logoi:

Glad to hear Arnold Duggar getting some love. He was so much fun to watch in ‘76 when I arrived. ORU40, love your points about Max and his need to improve in shot creation and ball handling, etc. if he wants to move to next level. Love Max and look forward to seeing how he has improved his game this year. Go Max. Go Eagles!

TheEagleman was at ORU when Dugger arrived in 74-75 with Coach Jerry Hale. Just a wonderful all around player who could get to the hole and defend with the best...also had a nice 15-18 ft jumper and was a very nice guy. A very unflappable player....and His NIT buzzer beater from 16 ft to beat Memphis at MSG was one of the clutch shots in ORU history....RIP AD.....😃

• Like 1

ORU 40 - I really appreciate your analysis - it is very insightful and well reasoned.  However, you list Anthony Roberts as a guard.  He was actually played forward, along with another NBA player - Alvin Scott.  The guards on the team that year (76-77) were Arnold Dugger, Lionell Worell, and David Tucker.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, dbl78 said:

ORU 40 - I really appreciate your analysis - it is very insightful and well reasoned.  However, you list Anthony Roberts as a guard.  He was actually played forward, along with another NBA player - Alvin Scott.  The guards on the team that year (76-77) were Arnold Dugger, Lionell Worell, and David Tucker.

You are absolutely right dbl78, he was listed as a small forward, who had guard skills but rebounded like a power forward as did Alvin Scott who was an amazing defensive player and rebounder and longtime pro with the Suns. That 76-77 team had no shortage of talent!!!   

With the GOAT discussion, here is a topic: is it harder to pick a goat in basketball because it is a team sport and takes 8-10 guys playing together to be successful.  Where say in tennis, golf or boxing it is generally easier to pick a Goat because these are one on one or individual sports.  Interesting idea.  

Ask that because had K.O. stayed around for two years then would that have helped Max to be a better player?  I am thinking most of us would say yes.

• 2 weeks later...

This item I saw in the practice gym might give us an insight as to who may be the GOAT.

F22CFAF8-4888-4D3F-AFDF-3C4600930F23.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eagle88 said:

This item I saw in the practice gym might give us an insight as to who may be the GOAT.

F22CFAF8-4888-4D3F-AFDF-3C4600930F23.jpeg

Wow, Mark Acres...all four years!

3 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Looks like Max is training with Trae Young this weekend.0095BA80-000A-40B8-BA8F-73A47648A327.thumb.png.9c13562ddc6358e541242fac882b0763.png

Great find, Eaglefan21!

Lots to glean from that pic:

1.  Max is shooting a LEFT-handed floater/jumper.
  2.  The picture was taken at Campbell Hall, a prep school in Studio City (Los Angeles) CA.
  3.  Alex Bazzell is a "trainer to the stars", having worked with Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Carmello Anthony, Kyrie Irving, and the aforenoted Trae Young,  He's also married to a WNBA superstar who he trains along with Candace Parker.

• Upvote 2

I noticed the left-handed jumper as well. At first I thought it was a reverse imaged picture. Max really is expanding his repertoire. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I noticed the left-handed jumper as well. At first I thought it was a reverse imaged picture. Max really is expanding his repertoire. 

No other ORU player has trained so hard with so many high-profile instructors, in so many varied locales, while still in school.

Everything about his approach to the game of basketball is extremely professional (meant as neither a compliment, nor a criticism, simply an observation).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You are right OT, Max's approach to the game is very professional.  Which brings up the point: if he is training with the best then Max must still have high hopes to make the NBA.  Of course, he wants to have a great senior year with ORU but this tells me he still thinks that the NBA is a realistic goal.

Wondering how Max was able to get an opportunity like this to play with Trey Young and this top level trainer.  He must have some connections and of course $ to play at this level.  Good for him!

• Upvote 1