Tulsa World Article about TU's Recruits....

ORUTerry

But it does raise another interesting point -- if ORU has such a talented team, why can't the product just sell itself?  Y'all have a very talented AD, especially when it comes to "hype."  But is all that hype really bringing home the bacon... er, cheese wrappers?

It doesn't matter how good ORU is, the level of competition we bring in via the Mid-Con is going to really hurt our attendance.  The average fan isn't going to come out just to see a Soutern Utah play vs. going to the DonRey and see a pair of first round picks when Memphis comes to town.  Nearly twice as many people came out for the Valpo games vs. the Western Ill. game.  Not hard to see why either.

Don't get me wrong, (insert TU fan name here), I'm not complaing about this fact, just stating it.  TU did a great job of riding the conference shift(s) as far as they could, and their administration, etc. should be applauded for it.  But as far as ORU's "product" selling itself, that's going to be next to impossible to do as long as the Fightin' Chickens are in the Mid-Con (which will probably be for the forseeable future).

Fair points.

I'm really glad we're in this conference -- it's almost as good as it can get for TU. I am worried about the long term bowl tie-ins, especially if we win the conference a couple of more times.  Memphis might want to take their bowl and go home... er, to the Big East.  UTEP has a nice program, but doesn't travel well. (See the GMAC Bowl -- how does TU, with 4,500 students outdraw UTEP for bowl games?)  Central Florida is interesting, but is also a likely target for another conference expansion and has ZERO tradition.  SMU and Rice are... welll, SMU and Rice.  Tulane athletics is in financial peril.  It's cool to be in this league, but I worry it might be another 16-team WAC. 

But, for now, it's great with a lot of easy road games for fans.  They should call it the "Southwest Airlines Conference."