Oklahoma at ORU

theeagleman5

Does anybody care about this game at JLJ tonight?....OU is undefeated in mid week games so far and there will probably be more Sooner fans in attendance that ORU rooters tonight......But GO BLUE anyway!....:shield-logo:

I don't blame you for not caring....losing series at home to NDSU and Omaha inexcusable....i don't watch every game but this 2022 team seems unexciting and all the guys look the same...not a lot of diversity...a bunch of smallish white guys....i do not know Coach Fulmer and would never call for a change....i am not close enough to the program to know....but i hope he gets things turned around.....something has to shake these guys up or we will not make the NCAA...and if we lose the tournament at home again that will be embarrassing.....extremely so.....😬

I hope our beloved Golden Eagles, who are currently dominating a hot OU team, can understand that, on a given day, they are capable of beating #1 Tennessee and/or losing to Alabama A&M…They better get their heads right and focus. I believe they can make some noise in the post season or lose in the conference tournament and never see a regional matchup…I guess that’s what makes it fun.  #anythingcanhappen

Rob

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Does anybody care about this game at JLJ tonight?....OU is undefeated in mid week games so far and there will probably be more Sooner fans in attendance that ORU rooters tonight......But GO BLUE anyway!....:shield-logo:

As hard as I might try, I never get to the level of "not caring" about teams I like - no matter how frustrated I get.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ORU gets out of a jam or two and wins 5-1. The fireworks finale was sweeter with the W.

Would be nice to get a sweep this wkd in Greeley! Go Blue!!!

• Like 1

The win last night was great for the Eagles. Unfortunately, the consistent thing about this team is their inconsistency. As good as the win is for the team, it demonstrates the problem they have, which is winning the games they should/must win. I'm sure the Eagles would have traded this win for one more this past weekend over NDSU. This responsibility for team consistency rests, to a large part, on the shoulders of the coaching staff. I believe Coach Folmer is in the same position Coach Sutton was at the end of his tenure. He is a very good coach who has had success at a high level and overall, has done an outstanding job. He is respected and appreciated for what he has done for the program. However, I believe it is time to cut the ties. Introduce new leadership and energy into a program that is playing below its potential. I'm not a Folmar basher. He seems to be an excellent baseball manager and mentor to young men. I am even apt to say I am somewhat proud of him, even though I do not know him personally, because he graduated from the same school as my kids, Chambersburg, Pa. I just have to wonder if AD Johnson will continue his refurbishing of the ORU coaching staff and make what I am seeing as a necessary move and let coach Folmer go. If so, with our tradition and facilities, I wouldn't think we would have too much trouble attracting a quality manager to lead the program. But it needs to be done now, before tghe program sinks further into obscurity. The one big obstacle to attracting a high level coach may be the league we are in. That is an unfortunate position that probably will not change anytime soon. In the meantime, I hope the Eagles make this rant absolutely meaningless and go on a win streak, win the conference tournament and make it to Omaha. Hey, a guy can dream, right?     

• Upvote 1

Dave very good analysis. At a recent dinner at ORU I sat at Coach Folmer's table and had a really good talk with him. I learned that ORU baseball has 11 scholarships to give which is less than basketball. The same holds true for other D1 schools. I asked Ryan how then do some schools get many more than 11 outstanding players. He gave me the example of Vanderbilt who until the last decade or so has been a powerhouse. Since they have a huge endowment they can offer their athletes a lot of scholarship $. The catch is whatever they offer to athletes they have to give the same deal to all students. Thus this is how they get a practically unbeatable team. Other big schools with big endowments do the same thing. Unfortunately ORU is not in a financial position to do the same thing. After Coach Folmar explained this to me I said wow you are really doing a great job with what you are afforded! As usual it seems to always be about the $$$$!!

• Upvote 1

Absolutely correct, 88....TheEagleman learned a ton about college baseball scholarships as my grandsons are baseball players and i still have one/soph who hopes to play in college...most NCAA D-1 teams only have 11-12 scholarships so players tend to receive partials like 25% or 50% tops....only a HS kid like Bryce Harper would get a full ride and kids like that tend to go to the MLB draft anyway......so our ORU baseball kids are paying a lot of their own way just for the priviledge of playing ball at JLJ.....it's really tough for a small school like ORU to compete with the big boys....but somehow we seem to be able to beat the likes of OSU, Ole Miss and last night OU.....hard to figure.....Coach Fulmer seems like a good guy and TheEagleman for one hopes he gets this team to the NCAA this year....👍

• Upvote 1

Nice win last night for the Good Guys......hard to figure how we lose a series to NDSU last weekend but then beat OU.....but we will take it....shows that the talent is there in our program.....baseball is a strange sport in that the best team doesn't always win night in night out.....pitching is the big equalizer.....ORU needs to win the series at No. Colorado this weekend....no question it's 2 of 3 or bust....3 of 3 would be even better....GO BLUE!!! :shield-logo:

• Like 1

ORU jumped on the Sooners early and never trailed throughout the contest.  It seems like the Eagles need a big name opponent to bring out the best in them, otherwise they struggle.  We will see if they can get up for the lower level teams, such as Northern Colorado.  Still a lot of season left.

8 hours ago, dave said:

The win last night was great for the Eagles. Unfortunately, the consistent thing about this team is their inconsistency. As good as the win is for the team, it demonstrates the problem they have, which is winning the games they should/must win. I'm sure the Eagles would have traded this win for one more this past weekend over NDSU. This responsibility for team consistency rests, to a large part, on the shoulders of the coaching staff. I believe Coach Folmer is in the same position Coach Sutton was at the end of his tenure. He is a very good coach who has had success at a high level and overall, has done an outstanding job. He is respected and appreciated for what he has done for the program. However, I believe it is time to cut the ties. Introduce new leadership and energy into a program that is playing below its potential. I'm not a Folmar basher. He seems to be an excellent baseball manager and mentor to young men. I am even apt to say I am somewhat proud of him, even though I do not know him personally, because he graduated from the same school as my kids, Chambersburg, Pa. I just have to wonder if AD Johnson will continue his refurbishing of the ORU coaching staff and make what I am seeing as a necessary move and let coach Folmer go. If so, with our tradition and facilities, I wouldn't think we would have too much trouble attracting a quality manager to lead the program. But it needs to be done now, before tghe program sinks further into obscurity. The one big obstacle to attracting a high level coach may be the league we are in. That is an unfortunate position that probably will not change anytime soon. In the meantime, I hope the Eagles make this rant absolutely meaningless and go on a win streak, win the conference tournament and make it to Omaha. Hey, a guy can dream, right?     

Dave, I have to disagree with your assessment that we should move on from Folmar, though I have felt that way in the past. I fully understand the disappointment in our current Summit League standing, but I don't think comparing the current baseball team to the last couple seasons of the Sutton era is a fair comparison. Scott was barely getting any D1 wins those years. Folmar has some big time wins this year and is still in contention for the Summit title. Let's keep in mind that the Summit is not the same baseball conference it once was. NDSU is up to 91 in the RPI as of today. It's a bummer we lost the series to them, but it's certainly not an embarrassing loss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bottom line is, ORU must get back to dominating the Summit League. Given the past few years, it looks like Coach Folmar (and staff), as talented, respectable and committed as they are, do not seem to be getting the job done in that department. Either they are not recruiting the talent to keep the BB team at a championship level, coaching and developing players to become champions, or motivating the players to play at their peak on a consistent basis. 

I hope they finish very strong and ride a wave into the NCAA's. Let's see.

• Upvote 1

OU and OSU would destroy ORU in a weekend series.  With staff day mid week games, anything can happen.

ORU simply is not getting the same talent they used to.  Bring back the Cali JUCO pipeline!!!!

• Upvote 1

Excellent points Alum....where are the California kids??...must have been a Sunny/Walton thing....😎

3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

OU and OSU would destroy ORU in a weekend series.  With staff day mid week games, anything can happen.

Respectfully disagree.  Each team is throwing their #4 or #5 starting pitcher, have their bullpens available, and very few P5 teams rest others in their starting lineup for a mid-week game, especially when facing ORU.  We split home-and-home series with both OSU and OU this year, and while we may have only won one of three in a weekend series, I wouldn’t describe that as “destroyed”.  

• Upvote 1

The NCAA allows D-I institutions to have a maximum of 11.7 scholarships which can be divided among a maximum of 27 players.  ORU has the maximum 11.7 scholarships fully funded.  How those are divided up I do not know.  However, understand that we fully fund the same amount of NCAA permitted scholarships as LSU, OSU, OU or any other P-5 team.  Beyond those scholarships we offer every student a "Whole Person Scholarship" which applies not only to the baseball team but everyone who attends ORU.  Next, we are at the top of the Summit as far as our baseball budget is concerned and with many of the teams our budget is close to being or actually being 2X what the other schools spend.  Then there is the fact that this program has the richest history of any team in the Summit, including having the overall No. 1 draft pick, have been to the Super Regional on more than one occasion and have also been to the College World Series.  So please, just stop with the excuses.  This program has been on the slide doing a slow fade for a number of years.  Coach Folmar and his staff may be nice guys but are not even close to having this team play the way the team did in the past.  If we do not win the Summit or make the Big Dance this year then it is time for a change.  

• Upvote 1