2022-23 Roster

ORUalum

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Let’s see, our incoming players consist of a 6’2” scoring point guard (Amboree), a 6’6” shooting guard (Williams), a 6’7” small forward (Mwamba) and a 7’3” center (Vanover)…

I would like to see another post player… say 6’9” or taller. 

I really like those 6'6 to 6'8 type of players that can cover 2 to 3 positions. Favorite type of guys. Larry Owens type of guys. I will take those all day. 

I have a feeling you won't see Vanover post up much!:) Sounds like he wants to be a pick and pop type of big on offense. Which is fine as long as he blocks some shots and rebounds on the other end. Also, be nice if he can shoot in the upper 30% from 3. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I really like those 6'6 to 6'8 type of players that can cover 2 to 3 positions. Favorite type of guys. Larry Owens type of guys. I will take those all day. 

I have a feeling you won't see Vanover post up much!:) Sounds like he wants to be a pick and pop type of big on offense. Which is fine as long as he blocks some shots and rebounds on the other end. Also, be nice if he can shoot in the upper 30% from 3. 

Strongly agree darrenj with one important caveat, I absolutely like those 6'-6 to 6'-8 athletes that can guard 2-3 positions and I really like the Larry Owens example you use. Larry was a very good player, but he absolutely benefited from having a big stud like Caleb Green down in the paint!!! Having a big tough post rebounder, defender, scoring treat down low makes everyone else on the floor better!  In my opinion, with Eli's tendency to pick up too many not so smart fouls, we need a little more muscle and toughness on the roster!  

6 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I really like the Larry Owens example you use. Larry was a very good player, but he absolutely benefited from having a big stud like Caleb Green down in the paint!!!

Larry also played with Mickey Michalec (6' 10", 270)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Strongly agree darrenj with one important caveat, I absolutely like those 6'-6 to 6'-8 athletes that can guard 2-3 positions and I really like the Larry Owens example you use. Larry was a very good player, but he absolutely benefited from having a big stud like Caleb Green down in the paint!!! Having a big tough post rebounder, defender, scoring treat down low makes everyone else on the floor better!  In my opinion, with Eli's tendency to pick up too many not so smart fouls, we need a little more muscle and toughness on the roster!  

Yep, It would be very nice to find another Caleb Green that is for sure.:) Not a great defensive player but incredible scorer down low. Just to get someone like Shawn King a 6'10" that plays defense and blocks some shots would be good. Maybe make a couple of layups or jump hooks. Is that too much to ask?:) 

Larry Owens was one of my favorite guys to watch at that time. He could do a lot of different things. The best story about him is he was near impossible to get on the phone. Hank had to call his juco coach who handed Larry the phone to say yea i will come to ORU. No problem. Of course him not answering the phone came in really handy when some of the bigger schools starting reaching out to him!:)

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Larry also played with Mickey Michalec (6' 10", 270)

Yep and that makes a big difference as Caleb didn't have to always cover centers with Mickey and then Shawn King. 

• 3 weeks later...

just noticed that Clover is still listed on the roster for next year.   Any word from you insiders, did he test the transfer waters and return to the team?

current roster on ORUathletics:

22-23roster.thumb.png.77beb71388c0fe37f6a63c4aed3ac1e4.png

• Upvote 1

Clover is also listed on the roster for Verbal Commits for ORU (on the VC website). That is a good point ORU alum, I was also thinking that before you mentioned it.

Would take that roster in a heartbeat!  Max is on it!

I have heard there is a good chance Nate will be back next year.

BOTH Clover and Luka both have “ORU Basketball” in their Instagram bios still.  Anyone know anything about Luka?  I’m sure Vanover joining the roster isn’t helpful to Luka if he’s back a year…

Does anyone think it is a good sign that ORU put Max on their 22-23 roster?  He still has a week to decide for the draft but maybe ORU knows something we don't?  Also this must be the earliest in the offseason that they have released the roster.  Usually it is around August or September before we see an updated roster.

I think it is a fairly good sign although Max seems to stay tight lipped about his plans for the future. There is always a chance he transfers but Max is also a super loyal guy and loves ORU and the coaching staff. He has made that clear!

Max isn’t transferring as the May 1 deadline has passed and he would need a special waiver to play without sitting. He likely is staying in the draft. He has until June 1 to decide whether to keep his name in the draft or come back to ORU. I’m sure he is taking advice from his agent and his parents on what the best business decision is for him. 

17 hours ago, ORob2 said:

BOTH Clover and Luka both have “ORU Basketball” in their Instagram bios still.  Anyone know anything about Luka?  I’m sure Vanover joining the roster isn’t helpful to Luka if he’s back a year…

Interesting. In the Tulsa World article from May 3rd that talks about ORU bringing in Vanover, Demari Williams, and Patrick Mwamba it says that brings ORU up to 12 scholarship players. Mills is quoted at the end saying "and we will get 13 here soon". We are at 13 scholies currently if Nate is back and Max stays. I actually like Nate and we could use the size, I just don't think he gets much playing time behind Vanover, ELI, and Herron but injuries happen and having a guy with a couple years of experience in the system is important.

• Upvote 1

If this is the roster for next season then the Eagles will have 6 seniors and 4 juniors, so a lot of experience.  In other words, it is time to go back to the NCAA tournament.   These guys have a combined 25 years of college basketball playing experience!  

Top to bottom this may the best roster ORU has had in many years.  It will have a lot of depth but as we know, usually only about 8 or 9 guys really get any minutes each game.  Maybe they redshirt the freshmen Cam A.

Max is back, so it would seem the roster is set for 22-23.  This team can score 80 a night but did they improve on the interior defense?  Not sure about that.  A healthly Lufile and Connor's length could help but they will probaly still struggle at times agaisnt other teams post play.  If the defense just improves say 10-15 percent then I think this roster is very capable of bringing the Eagles back to the NCAA tournament.

• Like 1