Biggest wins in ORU history

Keenan Henderson

20 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

not the same game it was when Scott Sutton was coaching......and honestly it's not as enjoyable to watch.....

Youre obviously entitled your opinion of what you like to watch…. But give me a top 5 scoring team in the nation I can watch in Tulsa year in and year out like we have in Coach Mills’ teams and I’m enjoying every second! My only question is do you honestly believe what you said? It is more ENJOYABLE to watch a grind-it-out, low scoring slugfest than an uptempo high-scoring 3pt shooting offense?? More enjoyable??? Come on man! Totally disagree!

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman wasnt aware that was the Jayhawk broadcasting team...no wonder they were in funeral dirge mode...and yeah, I like run and gun basketball but need to see SOME defense...even Ken Trickey's 70's ORU squads played a little D....cant win giving up 83+ a game unless you average 84+....😉

• Like 1

I guess that November night in 2006 at Allen Fieldhouse... Richard Roberts must have got his monies worth from Scott Sutton....😉

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

and yeah, I like run and gun basketball but need to see SOME defense

Ok good because i thought you were simply comparing offensive styles of play. Phew!

5 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Ok good because i thought you were simply comparing offensive styles of play. Phew!

I agree lots of scoring is good but ORUs D was pitiful last yr so it needs some work🏀

Here is an overlooked big time win: ORU beats Nolan Richardson and #16 ranked Arkansas in 1996 at the Mabee Center.  Arkansas was just shortly removed from winning a National Championship in 94 and losing in the title game to UCLA in 95.  ORU was still rebuilding from the NAIA plunge.  Bill Self got his biggest win at ORU and it helped the Eagles make a run for the NIT.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

I agree lots of scoring is good but ORUs D was pitiful last yr so it needs some work🏀

Totally agree!

On 4/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

Here is a new topic for the offseason: what are ORU's biggest wins in school history.  Only rule is you cannot name NCAA tournament wins (those are too easy).

There is one win that has to be a top 10 win in ORU history with a top 10 shot!

ORU earned its 2nd NCAA tourney bid in 1984 with an MCC conference tourney championship title beating Xavier in the finals. ORU won the game by 2 points thanks to a huge game winning mid-range jumper by Butch Berry in a tie game. Butch was a back-up guard that didn't play a lot of minutes, but he worked his butt off in practice, was always positive and truly the ultimate teammate. When he got his opportunity, he was ready, and he made the most of it. 

Butch's shot absolutely deserves a place on the all-time biggest shot list and that was a big win against a very tough opponent in a very close game for a conference tourney title (in the toughest conference ORU has ever been a member of) that earned an NCAA bid and other than NCAA tourney wins, it doesn't get much bigger than that!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I will never forget the win at Allen Fieldhouse for two reasons.  First it was a fantastic game, as has been discussed.  The second is the story behind how we were able to get tickets for the game.  We live in the Kansas City area and wanted to go to the game, so I called down to the school and inquired about tickets.  I was put in touch with one of the active members of the message board, whom I had never met.  He somehow got us four great tickets in the middle of the arena.  (Please note that this was before the introduction of StubHub)  I found out later that he was at the game as well, and sat way up in the rafters.  Every time I ready one of his posts, which usually express strong and knowledgeable opinions, I am reminded that the external persona that individual projects does not always reflect the true inner character of the individual.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 8:24 PM, theeagleman5 said:

The biggest shot made in ORU history? Now that is a great question that TheEagleman will have to chew on.... it surely would have been the Max 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat Arkansas but it hit the front rim....would have sent ORU to the Elite 8

The Max shot against Arkansas that didn't go in was to me was very much like the huge Tutt shot that went in at Kansas! The 2 plays are examples of very good coaching!!

One shot went in, one didn't but here are the similarities:

* Both plays were executed perfectly in pressure situations.

* Both plays got the shot that the coach wanted, by the player he wanted shooting it, in the spot that the coach wanted, despite the defense knowing who you wanted to get the shot and having a time out to set up the defense specifically to stop it.

Max's shot didn't drop, but coach got the ball to our best shooter in a great spot and that one play although not successful is an example of a great piece of coaching by Coach Mills!!  

• Upvote 2

On 7/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, ORU40 said:

There is one win that has to be a top 10 win in ORU history with a top 10 shot!

ORU earned its 2nd NCAA tourney bid in 1984 with an MCC conference tourney championship title beating Xavier in the finals. ORU won the game by 2 points thanks to a huge game winning mid-range jumper by Butch Berry in a tie game. Butch was a back-up guard that didn't play a lot of minutes, but he worked his butt off in practice, was always positive and truly the ultimate teammate. When he got his opportunity, he was ready, and he made the most of it. 

Butch's shot absolutely deserves a place on the all-time biggest shot list and that was a big win against a very tough opponent in a very close game for a conference tourney title (in the toughest conference ORU has ever been a member of) that earned an NCAA bid and other than NCAA tourney wins, it doesn't get much bigger than that!!!

Forgot about that one! Shame on me! Butch from the keyhole.heard it with a in and out radio broadcast in eureka springs😃🏀. Great memory!

• Upvote 1

How about the controversial Ken Hayes firing at Christmas break? In I believe 1981, Hayes was fired after starting 3-6 and Dick Acres was hired. When the students came back in 1982, ORU played Kansas with Ted Owens as their coach at the Mabee Center. The ORU players said they were not going to play because Hayes was fired. Eventually, most of the players were convinced to come back (the story was on the national news). 

My memory of the game on January 6th was that ORU was losing most of the time and tied it at the end (which was remarkable). ORU goes on to win in overtime with a last second pass to a wide open Mark Acres under the basket and he lays it up and the team wins. I can still see the basket in my mind.

(Maybe @Old Titan can help me with some of these details, Chris Cantrell and others).

Read here>>>ORU Players Boycott

Just as Kansas was shocked, I know many people in the Mabee Center were shocked. That win should have never happened! I recall that certain players were not allowed to play or start because they more than rebelled against the decision that was made. 

I remember someone jokingly prophesying on the wing that ORU would win. Oral gave a big speech in chapel telling the students to show up at the game and cheer on the team, even though this firing happened. 

Between the City of Faith and the basketball team, ORU thrived on controversy in those days. 

26 minutes ago, Cletus said:

How about the controversial Ken Hayes firing at Christmas break? In I believe 1981, Hayes was fired after starting 3-6 and Dick Acres was hired. When the students came back in 1982, ORU played Kansas with Ted Owens as their coach at the Mabee Center. The ORU players said they were not going to play because Hayes was fired. Eventually. most of the players were convinced to come back (the story was on the national news). 

My memory of the game on January 6th was that ORU was losing most of the time and tied it at the end (which was remarkable). ORU goes on to win in overtime with a last second pass to a wide open Mark Acres under the basket and he lays it up and the team wins. I can still see the basket in my mind.

(Maybe @Old Titan can help me with some of these details, Chris Cantrell and others).

Read here>>>ORU Players Boycott

Just as Kansas was shocked, I know many people in the Mabee Center were shocked. That win should have never happened! I recall that certain players were not allowed to play or start because they more than rebelled against the decision that was made. 

I remember someone jokingly prophesying on the wing that ORU would win. Oral gave a big speech in chapel telling the students to show up at the game and cheer on the team, even though this firing happened. 

Between the City of Faith and the basketball team, ORU thrived on controversy in those days. 

Actually in 1982

Just now, jmg1984 said:

Actually in 1982

Was a great game to be at. Mark had a great game!🏀

26 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

Was a great game to be at. Mark had a great game!🏀

I forgot that Jeff Acres was injured (as the UPI article reported).

That was a big piece to replace in such a short time. 

Ken Hayes went with us on our 1981 fall Brother-sister retreat as we traveled to Hot Springs Arkansas for the weekend. He was a great guy! 

29 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I forgot that Jeff Acres was injured (as the UPI article reported).

That was a big piece to replace in such a short time. 

Ken Hayes went with us on our 1981 fall Brother-sister retreat as we traveled to Hot Springs Arkansas for the weekend. He was a great guy! 

Cool He was! Known as good defensive coach. It was we beat to big names at home to start the season

3 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

Cool He was! Known as good defensive coach. It was we beat to big names at home to start the season

Saw Ken's last win over UT Pan American was there to also see Sam Perkins and had a big bonus of seeing Mike TU upset NC though 🏀