Biggest wins in ORU history

Keenan Henderson

Here is a new topic for the offseason: what are ORU's biggest wins in school history.  Only rule is you cannot name NCAA tournament wins (those are too easy).

2006 at #2 Kansas fresh off their SI Cover (jinx).

"Caleb Green was the best player on the floor."  - Bill Self

I watched from a Buffalo Wild Wings in San Antonio...great night!

University Of Kansas Julian Wright And Mario Chalmers Sports Illustrated  Cover by Sports Illustrated

• Upvote 1

How about ten years ago when ORU destroyed 8th ranked Xavier by 64-42 and lead by as much as 28 points in the second half.  Xavier had won 44 out of 45 at home and the game was over before it started.  Highlights were on Sports Center. 

Side note: the game before Xavier had a brawl with crosstown rival Cincinnati and three starters were suspened for the ORU game but still a great win!  How about some wins from the 70s or 80s?

ORU over Illinois State and #1 draft pick All American Doug Collings in 1973 at Mabee Center......also 1972 NIT ORU over Memphis State in the first round of the NIT at MSG......Image result for oral roberts 1972 logos

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Does anyone ever go back and watch maybe the biggest wins in school history?  Of course, I mean the Ohio State and Florida games from last year (2021).  That really gets me excited about ORU basketball!

One side note from the Florida game: was that three from DJ Weaver with about two minutes left (gave ORU a lead of 80-78) one of the biggest shots in school history?  It basically opened the door for the victory, as only one more free throw from K.O. would be the end of the scoring, and trip to the Sweet 16.  We never seem to discuss it, as his three seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.  It was not a buzzer beater but definitely the biggest three in one of the most important wins in school history.

The biggest shot made in ORU history? Now that is a great question that TheEagleman will have to chew on.... it surely would have been the Max 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat Arkansas but it hit the front rim....would have sent ORU to the Elite 8...The Weaver shot was huge but not close enough to the end....perhaps the Arnold Dugger 16 ft  buzzer beater to take out favored Memphis in the 1975 NIT First Round?? 🏀😎🏀

...Or how about the KO buzzer beating put back to beat SDSU in the Summit semis in 2021???....an amazing basket that kick started ORU's run to the Sweet 16...👍

• Upvote 2

It's very sublime, but check out this shot from Ken Tutt with :44 on the clock in a 3-point game to ice the upset at Kansas (the whole video is great, but The Shot is from the 4:00 minute mark in).

Caleb Green is awesome with the ball in the post; feinting that he's going right, just enough to get the KU defender on Ken to drop a couple of steps toward the paint.

And, Ken is like a boxer with his footwork, setting up for the shot while Caleb does his thing.  No hesitation when Caleb kicks the ball out; he knew that was like a lay-up for him.  "Surprising shot" my a**, Dave Armstrong! (nice guy; clueless announcer)

Pure "inside-out" artistry!  What a dynamic duo!  WHAT A GAME!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

It's very sublime, but check out this shot from Ken Tutt with :44 on the clock in a 3-point game to ice the upset at Kansas (the whole video is great, but The Shot is from the 4:00 minute mark in).

Caleb Green is awesome with the ball in the post; feinting that he's going right, just enough to get the KU defender on Ken to drop a couple of steps toward the paint.

And, Ken is like a boxer with his footwork, setting up for the shot while Caleb does his thing.  No hesitation when Caleb kicks the ball out; he knew that was like a lay-up for him.  "Surprising shot" my a**, Dave Armstrong! (nice guy; clueless announcer)

Pure "inside-out" artistry!  What a dynamic duo!  WHAT A GAME!!

That play was so well executed in every way!! It illustrates perfectly how using the post gets your 3-point shooters open.  

It's so simple, but beautifully executed. Before the ball is in-bounded, they start Tutt on the opposite box with Green posting up strong side and a simple screen up top to get the ball into play. The in-bounder clears through to the weak side under Green, while Tutt comes to the ball under Green, that simple crossing of the 2 players gets Tutt open against good defense which is where they want to go with the ball, to the side with Tutt & Green. Caleb does an excellent job of posting up and giving Tutt a target for the pass, he has the defender half fronting on the top-side so he seals him off with his hip and off arm, extends the arm where he wants the pass- away from the defender and does not let the defender get over the top of him to completely deny the pass. 

Tutt gets the ball on the wing, against very good on ball D, but does a great job of pivoting and ball faking before finally making the outstanding post entry pass, away from the defender, to the target that Caleb is providing. Tutt doses not just stand there and watch, as Caleb again does a great job of faking to the middle with one simple crab dribble to the middle, the entire D shifts, watch the help defenders in the lane all react as was the defensive design to help Greens defender, the defensive breakdown- ever so slight -is by Tutt's man taking a couple steps to Green on the dribble,(my guess is the D plan was for the weakside to help on Grenn and Tutts man to not leave him) that way they are taking away our top 2 options, but Tutts guy just slightly reacts to Greens ball fake and when he does, Tutt slides into the open spot, down and ready to shoot- instantly, with no wasted motion- when the pass comes back out and hits the big 3!!

As a guy that paid his way through college making post entry passes and taking that shot when the post player is doubled by my man, I can only say that play at "The Phog", against outstanding D, in a very hostile environment, executed absolutely perfectly by Tutt & Green was a textbook thing of beauty!!! Kids, that's what basketball looks like!!!

That one play shows you why that team was so successful, multi-dimensional, inside and outside scoring, well disciplined.  But the main thing for me is that it clearly shows how the inside game and good outside shooting complement each other, I know we don't have a Caleb Green, but hopefully we'll add a little of that inside-out game in the upcoming season and not be quite so dependent on 3-point shooting small ball!! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Great points, ORU40.  When I watched the video, the thing that jumped out to me as well was the OUTSTANDING entry pass.  It’s been awhile since I’ve seen ORU execute a similar move, as it seems that we give up on the entry pass WAY too early and end up just passing the ball around to another three point shooter beyond the arc and repeating. But, what this play highlights is that a well-executed entry pass can play great dividends in setting up a high percentage straight-on catch-and-shoot three. Money!!!

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman could watch that video every day for the rest of his life......but wondering why Scott Sutton wasn't more excited at the end?....come on, buddy....you just beat #3 and your former boss in Allen Fieldhouse.....at least crack a big smile.....and the announcers just had zero enthusiasm....it was like they were broadcasting a funeral instead of the biggest upset of the young NCAA College Basketball season back in 2006....as for Tutt's shot....yes, that was a huge dagger in the heart of the Jayhawks but not likely the biggest shot in ORU Men's basketball history......Top 10 for sure though.......😎

3 hours ago, ORU40 said:

That play was so well executed in every way!! It illustrates perfectly how using the post gets your 3-point shooters open.  

It's so simple, but beautifully executed. Before the ball is in-bounded, they start Tutt on the opposite box with Green posting up strong side and a simple screen up top to get the ball into play. The in-bounder clears through to the weak side under Green, while Tutt comes to the ball under Green, that simple crossing of the 2 players gets Tutt open against good defense which is where they want to go with the ball, to the side with Tutt & Green. Caleb does an excellent job of posting up and giving Tutt a target for the pass, he has the defender half fronting on the top-side so he seals him off with his hip and off arm, extends the arm where he wants the pass- away from the defender and does not let the defender get over the top of him to completely deny the pass. 

Tutt gets the ball on the wing, against very good on ball D, but does a great job of pivoting and ball faking before finally making the outstanding post entry pass, away from the defender, to the target that Caleb is providing. Tutt doses not just stand there and watch, as Caleb again does a great job of faking to the middle with one simple crab dribble to the middle, the entire D shifts, watch the help defenders in the lane all react as was the defensive design to help Greens defender, the defensive breakdown- ever so slight -is by Tutt's man taking a couple steps to Green on the dribble,(my guess is the D plan was for the weakside to help on Grenn and Tutts man to not leave him) that way they are taking away our top 2 options, but Tutts guy just slightly reacts to Greens ball fake and when he does, Tutt slides into the open spot, down and ready to shoot- instantly, with no wasted motion- when the pass comes back out and hits the big 3!!

As a guy that paid his way through college making post entry passes and taking that shot when the post player is doubled by my man, I can only say that play at "The Phog", against outstanding D, in a very hostile environment, executed absolutely perfectly by Tutt & Green was a textbook thing of beauty!!! Kids, that's what basketball looks like!!!

That one play shows you why that team was so successful, multi-dimensional, inside and outside scoring, well disciplined.  But the main thing for me is that it clearly shows how the inside game and good outside shooting complement each other, I know we don't have a Caleb Green, but hopefully we'll add a little of that inside-out game in the upcoming season and not be quite so dependent on 3-point shooting small ball!! 

Current coaches take note!🏀

Current Coaching Staff doesn't seem to care......🥺:hc_mills:🙄

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Current Coaching Staff doesn't seem to care......🥺:hc_mills:🙄

lol.......... what???

Hey don't get me wrong....TheEagleman loves Coach Mills and his staff.....but this ORU team clearly plays a totally different brand of basketball than they did 10-15 years ago when defense was more valued....now the college game is mostly about chucking up 3 balls and getting as many offensive opportunities as possible.....not the same game it was when Scott Sutton was coaching......and honestly it's not as enjoyable to watch.....frustrating for old timers like TheEagleman, OT, ORUTerry, ORU40, JMG1984, etc... etc....😬

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman could watch that video every day for the rest of his life......but wondering why Scott Sutton wasn't more excited at the end?....come on, buddy....you just beat #3 and your former boss in Allen Fieldhouse.....at least crack a big smile.....and the announcers just had zero enthusiasm....it was like they were broadcasting a funeral instead of the biggest upset of the young NCAA College Basketball season back in 2006....as for Tutt's shot....yes, that was a huge dagger in the heart of the Jayhawks but not likely the biggest shot in ORU Men's basketball history......Top 10 for sure though.......😎

ORUTerry and I joined most of the ORU faithful outside the locker room before boarding the bus back to Tulsa, and TRUST ME Scott Sutton and everyone else on the ORU bench were losing their minds in there - would have paid top dollar to be a fly on the wall in that locker room!

He was probably just stunned afterward; the finality of games like that as the horn blows - win or lose - is disorienting to say the least. 

"What do we do now??" the heart asks. 

"HURRY UP AND CASH THE CHECK!!" the mind quickly replies.

12 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Don't forget that was the Jayhawk's ESPN network broadcast team doing the game.  They were stunned and concerned how the rest of the year was going to be after seeing their #3 team get taken to school by a mid-major that they were doing a favor for. So, broadcasting a funeral is probably a good analogy at that stage in their season. 😄

What struck me about that broadcast, too was seeing Scott, Tom Hankins and Conley Phipps coaching together.  They were good together and Scott was very engaged in that game - talking/coaching players as they came off the court, yelling instructions, etc.  In his later years as ORU's coach, he had lost that fire - either because of internal strife or his lack of drive by that stage in the career.  Scott was definitely not the talent finder, but could play the head coaching position as the closer.  Tom Hankins and Corey Williams, those guys had the skills and personality to evaluate and project talent.  Conley could teach the mechanics of free throws and shooting in general.  Things changed dramatically when Hank left ORU.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Hey don't get me wrong....TheEagleman loves Coach Mills and his staff.....but this ORU team clearly plays a totally different brand of basketball than they did 10-15 years ago when defense was more valued....now the college game is mostly about chucking up 3 balls and getting as many offensive opportunities as possible.....not the same game it was when Scott Sutton was coaching......and honestly it's not as enjoyable to watch.....frustrating for old timers like TheEagleman, OT, ORUTerry, ORU40, JMG1984, etc... etc....😬

Truth!!

• Like 1