South Dakota at ORU

ORUTerry

The South Dakota plays ORU on Saturday night in the last game of the season. The Coyotes are 17-11 on the season and 10-7 (5th) in league play... 5-4 at home and 5-3 on the road. They lost to UMKC on Thursday, 63 to 72.

Here is a link to their statistics via Sports-Reference.com

Conference stats:

PPG:     76.6

FG%:    47.6%  (2nd)

3pt%:     39.9%  (2nd)  - 18.7 attempts per game

Reb margin:   +3.3

Assists:   12.1   (2nd)

Turnovers:   8.9

According to the Tulsa World this morning, only Francis Lacis will be recognized for Senior Night on Saturday.

Reading between the lines:  Lufile back for sure next year?  Max not necessarily leaving (at least, not for the pros, in which case he might be recognized now)?  

And, could Francis still return if he wants as a "Super Senior" for his extra COVID year?  Or, has it made it plain to the staff that he's done; hence the ceremony?

USD has won four out of five, so they are playing good basketball as the regular season comes to an end.  Look for them to pound it inside to their big guards or center Kamteros (something along those lines, spelling is not my talent).

Lacis has been in Tulsa for four years and would probaly like to go back to Lativa and maybe play professionally or begin his career in media. Guessing he will also graduate in May.  Always rooted for Francis and he will be remembered for the block that sealed the win in the Summit League Championship last year. Go Eagles!

The guys need to avoid an emotional letdown after the hard loss Thursday night. Just saw that they are having free admission for the game in an attempt to get a nice crowd. 

ORU is -6 vs. USD....O/U is 154.5.... TheEagleman is also hoping that the Good Guys have gotten past the tough loss last night....🏀

So, you think the Yotes will feed the post much?

Yeah, me too.

ORU's last best chance to avoid losing four straight to end the year, vs. SDSU, USD, Western Illinois in the dreaded 3-vs-6 game Sunday night in Sioux Falls, and on the road vs. some yet-to-be-determined mid-major foe in the CIT or such.

(actually, ORU may rate a first-round home game in the CIT, but you get my point...)

11 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

The guys need to avoid an emotional letdown after the hard loss Thursday night. Just saw that they are having free admission for the game in an attempt to get a nice crowd. 

I love all these free games. ORU basketball games are a FUN environment again and I hope the athletic department continues to prioritize getting butts in seats. I would love to see single game tickets at $5 permanently. 

Obviously an important game at Mabee tonight as ORU needs to get that 3 seed....still an outside shot at the 2 but unlikely NDSU will lose tonight.....Coyotes come in to Tulsa playing pretty good basketball and always a scrappy team....short and sweet....ORU can't bleep around tonight.....it's senior night and probably a nice crowd with free seats again......Max needs 30....and McBride should have another good game along with Eli......should be a very competitive match but TheEagleman still likes the Good Guys and Over.......ORU 88  USD 80....GO BLUE!!:tb-white:

I agree with everything in his article, except for one point.  If ORU wins the tourney in Sioux Falls, the team will not be haunted by Thursday night’s loss, nor will their coach or (most of) their fans.  It will be completely forgotten in the exuberant celebration of another trip to the dance and a potential March Madness run.  BUT, if we lose in Sioux Falls, the failure to seal the deal on Thursday night and capture the second seed (earning a better first round matchup and a day of rest before the semis) may sit in the craw of MANY people for a long off-season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

And the losses at home against Western Illinois and North Dakota State….

You read my mind. 

All I know is… the team better bring it tonight for the final home game and Senior Night!  If not, the driver of the car with Idaho plates in the Mabee Center parking lot is going to be VERY disappointed!

Hey, if ORob1 can come 13 hours to a game, then my 23 hours is nothing! 😉

And OT, you KNOW I’m going to be checking the DBRs on your half-time stat sheet!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Carlos was such a big part of the turnaround in March last season and the previous two games have been some of his best performances all season.  Really feel like he is a big key tonight, as well as in the Summit League Tournament.  Finish strong Carlos, we need your defense and toughness down the stretch.

6 team fouls for the Coyotes which means it is time to abandon driving to the rim and posting up. 

My cynicism got the best of me. McBride puts us in the bonus at 9:59.

ORU40 my wine glass is half empty 🤪