Congrats Eagles--now BEAT CLEMSON!!!

GoCocks74

Guest EagleBackr

Mike Moore didn't lead our pitching staff until 1981 (but, you're right, he was the #1 overall MLB draft pick that year). It was Bill Springman that led our pitching staff in 1978 to the World Series and is the reason he is in our Hall of Fame.

Uh, actually, it was pitcher Ron Meredith that was one of FOUR All-Americans on that club - Springman was a second baseman, along with catcher George Bjorkman and the late, great Bob Volk at third. Other starters on that squad included Gary D'Onofrio at shortstop, Aurdie Colbert at first base, and Vince Bienek, Dwight Stone and Buddy Slemp in the outfield. Incredible team - and a great bunch of guys...

Uh, actually, it was pitcher Ron Meredith that was one of FOUR All-Americans on that club - Springman was a second baseman, along with catcher George Bjorkman and the late, great Bob Volk at third. Other starters on that squad included Gary D'Onofrio at shortstop, Aurdie Colbert at first base, and Vince Bienek, Dwight Stone and Buddy Slemp in the outfield. Incredible team - and a great bunch of guys...

I'm REAL old and my memory failed me on this one (it's the best excuse I can come up with). Of course, you're right, EB. You were there with the guys and Ron Meredith ended up having a nice career with the Cubs. The '78 team had some great players including all of the guys that you mentioned and were able to remember so effortlessly. I'm hopeful that we will be able to have the same type of memories for the team of 2006.

I just got back to KC and wanted to stop by and offer up my congrats on your big weekend in Fayetteville. Great job, best of luck the rest of the way!