St. Thomas on Saturday

Keenan Henderson

12 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

That attendance number actually seems accurate. Last night's games was very well attended. 

Out of town so I missed this one, but that’s great to hear. I have told others that the loss to Western was probably the most fun I have had at an ORU loss. It hurt, but at least it was entertaining to watch. The style of basketball this team plays is just plain exciting. I’m sure this is (at least partially) why the students continue to show up in such strong numbers. Typically you see a significant drop off after the first couple of games and the initial excitement wears off. 

Went back and looked at the play by play and ORU was down 53-51 with 12 minutes.  So in the final 12 minutes the Ealges outscored the Tommies, 37-13!  That is pretty impressive.  St. Thomas run out of gas and of course they had no one to cover Big Maple.  He easily outweighed their bigs by 60 to 70 pounds or more.   

Ah...Bob Brooks...such a nice man who did great things at ORU....wonderful post,  78 ...TheEagleman needs to get back to 7777 So. Lewis within the next 12 months....👍

9 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Ah...Bob Brooks...such a nice man who did great things at ORU....great post,  78 ...TheEagleman needs to get back to 7777 So. Lewis within the next 12 months....👍

Head to to summit baseball tournament it will b warm by then☀️

14 hours ago, dbl78 said:

Attended my first ORU game in Mabee Center since Scott Sutton era during which time I was a season ticket holder and Golden Eagle Club member.  My comeback started when I heard Coach Mills speak during the Sweet 16 run, and realized that this was exactly how the athletic program was intended to promote the vision of the school, and more importantly Jesus Christ. 

It was Hall of Fame night, and it was great to see some of the individuals from the past recognized for their contributions to the school.  This caused me to reflect on how a small midwestern Christian school could have such a large contingent of high quality athletes, which is disproportionate to its size.  Clearly this was not a random -  there had to be a structure in place to make that happen.  Oral had the vision for the excellence in athletics, but it was Bob Brooks who laid much of the foundation for that success which Mike Carter would then build upon.  This all came to me as I watched the inductees introduced, and saw Bob's son represent him in the ceremony.  After meeting Tim Johnson, it appears that he has the energy and drive to help take us to the next level.  

It was really great to be back.  Saw many old friends and had the chance to talk with Message Board members Ttowncourt, and OldTitan.  

If any of you out there have issues with the school, I challenge you to focus on all the positive things about it, and let go of the things which are irritating you.  I wish I would have done that sooner.

Great to see you and your wife, dbl78, and getting caught up.  Thanks for the kind words re: my dad; it’s always an honor and a privilege to represent him during the annual Hall of Fame ceremonies.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I too was grateful to see Bob Brooks inducted in the Hall. I wasn't around during his tenured, but heard so many good things about what he did for the school. Thankful this decision was made. 

6 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

I too was grateful to see Bob Brooks inducted in the Hall. I wasn't around during his tenured, but heard so many good things about what he did for the school. Thankful this decision was made. 

Thanks for the very kind words, vcboy2000, but he was actually enshrined back in 2009, along with his college roommate Ken Trickey.  That was an incredible gesture by Mike Carter, and was greatly appreciated by our respective families as both old lions passed away just a couple of years later.

The thing is, only those Hall of Famers who are on-hand to walk out at halftime get recognized during the ceremony; or in the case of deceased HOF'ers, a family member must participate. 

So, I try to take part each year on behalf of our family so his name and achievements will be included.  My childhood friend Key Trickey Herring, who recently produced the documentary on her father Ken, makes the trip as well each year from Nashville to represent her dad.

Just doing what we can each season to "Remember the Titans"! 🙂

• Like 4