St. Thomas on Saturday

Keenan Henderson

I had a couple of flashbacks to Loos Field House in Dallas as I was watching the game tonight.

The first goes back to 1972 when my father, grandfather and I went to the Dr Pepper Classic when my grandparents came down from Philadelphia for Christmas.  The Dr Pepper classic was a high school tournament played over the Christmas break back in the day.  When St Thomas was walking on the court after a timeout it reminded me of the then aptly named WT White team we saw play that night.  The Tommies resemble those Longhorns in a number of ways.

The second flashback was from 1987 when I went to a Skyline High School playoff game.  Skyline was led by a young Larry Johnson....before he became Grandmama.  Johnson was a man among boys that night dominating whatever poor school was serving as Skyline's opponent.  That's how Elijah Lufile looked tonight.  No one on the Tommies could come close to matching his physicality and energy.

1 minute ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Better defense tonight from ORU, holding the Tommies to six 3's and outrebounding them by double digits.  The guys get some time off before playing KC next Saturday, which may be a battle for 2 or 3 place in the Summit League.

Should Lufile's nickname be Zion Jr?  We use to have KO for Kevin Obanor and how about a good nickname for Lufile.

Adam named him The Big Maple after Lufile's post game interview. 

• Upvote 1

After tonight's win, Zion Jr. is shooting close to 73 percent from the field for the season.  That must be close to a record in the ORU history books.  The only thing that may hold him back from that record is a lack of shots required for a season.

ORU has now won 10 games in the Summit League for the second straight season (10-5 last year), it has been awhile since that has happened.

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Send More Elijah Lufile-01.jpg

Why didn't anyone on this message board call for him to get more playing time earlier in the year?😮

21 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Why didn't anyone on this message board call for him to get more playing time earlier in the year?😮

I Know Right GIF by One Chicago

59 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Should Lufile's nickname be Zion Jr?  We use to have KO for Kevin Obanor and how about a good nickname for Lufile.

Elijah shouldn't be "Jr." ANYTHING.

I like "Big Maple".  Also, "The Prophet Elijah" or simply "The Prophet".

He was sure bringing the fire and brimstone tonight, for sure.  That middle dunk in the second half - the one after the roll to the basket, and before the "and 1" inbound lob - was one for the ages. 

He is so explosive, and his timing is impeccable.  That's magical stuff that you just can't teach!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ok Big Maple is different and cool.  Let's go with it, unless anyone objects.

Hopefully this leads to more playing time for Lufile against all our Summit League opponents.

Also, such unselfish play by Max.  He just wants to win.  8 assists setting up his teammates when he is being double teamed.  Not trying to force his own shots just to keep up his scoring average.  What a wise and mature player and teammate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is waaaay too cool.  It's like the Tommies are being subected to various iterations of the Golden Eagle Multiverse.  "DORMAMMU, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN!!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

How is this kid not getting at least 25+ minutes per game...Eli needs to be in and DJ out....truth bomb! 👍

17 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

How is this kid not getting at least 25+ minutes per game...Eli needs to be in and DJ out....truth bomb! 👍

Or, as I have suggested before, we need to go big.  Eli starts at the 5, Frank plays the 4 and DJ plays the three.  Jurgens is the first off the bench for whoever isn't on that game.  I understand your frustration with DJ Eagleman but I like his length and he can be a rim protector.  With him and Eli in the game I dare you to try to take it to the hole.  Now if we could just get him to follow his shot on that corner 3 attempt.

Also, regarding Eli's playing time.  In the broadcast last night they said that Eli got to over 300 pounds during his injury rehab.  Coach said he was still shedding the pounds and get his conditioning back at the start of the season.  Trust the process friends.

I believe that DJ has the most blocks of any player in the Summit League so far this year.  He definitely still deserves some playing time.

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Elijah shouldn't be "Jr." ANYTHING.

Like the David Allen Coe song says “I ain’t gonna call Hank Williams Jr Jr anymore.”

Eli, Isaac Mcbride and Max made a huge difference in the 2nd half! Eli's monster game with 25 points and 13 rebounds and Isaac's critical 3's  and Max's 8 assists were huge for us!  Great crowd and energy last night. Eli was the spark of energy we needed!

4412 was the announced attendence last night...double the amount over the past few seasons....and TheEagleman not saying that DJ shouldnt get his minutes but Lufile needs to start either at his expense or Lacis...its time...Eli is a beast and is feared by our opponents....😬

That attendance number actually seems accurate. Last night's games was very well attended.