Western Illinois at ORU

ORUTerry

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

A few observations on a cold night in a lot of different ways:

• How many college teams have ever scored 63 points in a half…and lost?
  • How many college players have ever had a 33-point differential in scoring between halves of one game?
  • Once again, ORU has no other options when not hitting threes. Incredibly one-dimensional team right now. 
  • Between the “defense” of Weaver and Phipps both inside and out, it’s a wonder ORU didn’t surrender 110 points instead of 90. When you’re having to resort to Herron and Lacis on the defense/offense substations for those two, you know you’re hurtin’
  • A lot of first-time visitors in the building tonight due to the free ticket giveaway, and it’s a wonder they bothered to stick around for the second half. But they did, and were thoroughly entertained in the second half. 
  • The student section was INCREDIBLE. They showed up early and brought the goods for BOTH halves. 

Incredible stats for two halves of basketball.

Demonstrates how one team can be two different teams.

Hoping the second half becomes a regular theme for rest of year. 

• Like 1

Here is a quick thought on the game last night. After the 1st half we had one assist. This year's team is not playing unselfish enough  and it really shows when we are not hitting our shots. Last night we kept doing the same thing instead of attacking them inside. Here is the bright spot: last year's team did not really fire on all cylinders until the conference tournament so we have time. Clearly our success last year was due to unselfish play and the players knowing their role. I do not see this yet .

Bottom Line....it's INEXCUSABLE TO LOSE A GAME TO  WESTERN ILLINOIS AT HOME!!!!.....INEXCUSABLE!!!!   The STUDENTS were jacked for the game....why wasn't the TEAM????.....😮

• Upvote 1

Seems like pretty much the same team as last year. The only difference is last year's team got crazy hot (for a 5-6 game stretch) during the conference tourney and NCAA. 

We were basically .500 last year, going into the conference tourney. 

26 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Bottom Line....it's INEXCUSABLE TO LOSE A GAME TO  WESTERN ILLINOIS AT HOME!!!!.....INEXCUSABLE!!!!   The STUDENTS were jacked for the game....why wasn't the TEAM????.....😮

They were. The effort was there the entire game. Western played a great game. How many times is Max going to score 0 points for an entire half? 

The one critique I would have on the coaching staff is why didn't we see more Lufile. Their big guy (#44)was creating all kinds of problems for us. I assume they didn't play Eli because #44 is such a 3 point threat, but he was so dominant inside I would have much rather seen Eli out there gettingt beat on the perimeter but shut things down in the paint.

• Like 1

45-22 at halftime.....enough said....the effort was there???.....uh....I don't think so.....🥺

• Upvote 1

Just 2 cents from TheEagleman but Coach Mills probably needs to send a message with some lineup changes tomorrow night vs. St. Thomas.....Coach seems like he's a perfectionist and can't be pleased with what he saw in the first half last night....hard to believe the coaching staff failed to prepare this team for Western Illinois....it's now February and it's time to get moving in the right direction......last night's loss wasn't that.....😬

28 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

45-22 at halftime.....enough said....the effort was there???.....uh....I don't think so.....🥺

Normally I would agree with you, but last night there was something else going on. Western was firing on all cylinders and we just weren't getting buckets we normally would. If anything, I think our guys got flustered and tried too hard.

We did the same thing to NDSU last year in the Summit championship game if you remember. It wasn't lack of effort that doomed NDSU, we just had a stellar first half and their shots weren't falling. 

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Just 2 cents from TheEagleman but Coach Mills probably needs to send a message with some lineup changes tomorrow night vs. St. Thomas.....Coach seems like he's a perfectionist and can't be pleased with what he saw in the first half last night....hard to believe the coaching staff failed to prepare this team for Western Illinois....it's now February and it's time to get moving in the right direction......last night's loss wasn't that.....😬

Now THIS I would agree with. I think it's probably time to drop Elijah into the starting lineup in place of DJ or even Lacis. Both have sort of drifted into obscurity. You forget they're on the court most of the time. 

Bingo!....well said, Maniac....time to switch things up and stir the pot....some guys not showing a ton of heart out there....💔

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

They were. The effort was there the entire game. Western played a great game. How many times is Max going to score 0 points for an entire half? 

The one critique I would have on the coaching staff is why didn't we see more Lufile. Their big guy (#44)was creating all kinds of problems for us. I assume they didn't play Eli because #44 is such a 3 point threat, but he was so dominant inside I would have much rather seen Eli out there gettingt beat on the perimeter but shut things down in the paint.

That is a good call Eagle Maniac: How many times is Max going to score 0 points?  He is a superstar and an all time great at ORU but even Max has an off 20 minute half every once and awhile.  It reminded me of the UCA game where he started 0-15 and the Eagles were down 20.  It was a quite a shock, just like last night was.  If Max is not scoring then ORU's offense really struggles.  As Max goes, so goes ORU's chances of winning.  They just do not have a guy like KO that can come in and score 20-25, when Max is off for a half or a game.

It was also surprising that they never ran that play with Max and Lufile, where Lufile dives to the goal.  WIU could not stop that dive play in the first game on the road.  Lufile only got one post up pass and a rebound stick back, then they took him out of the game.  Coach was very desperate in the second half and had to speed up the game with the press, which is why he took Lufile out.  

• Upvote 1

Bottom line is that this team is FAR from being a Top 20 anything.  I agree with the Eagleman, at some time if you want to be considered a good to great team you have to go out and just win.  That means playing the entire game.  Not to take anything away from WIU but they are a middle of the pack Summit League team.  It we ever want to take this program to the next level, our guys have to learn to play lights out every single game.  It is not like we are playing a Top 20 schedule.  Forget all the clippings and highlight reels from last year and quit making excuses.  Right now we are no better than any other middle of the pack Summit League team.  I am not impressed with either the team or the coaching.  We have a long way to go and one place to start is stop living life in the rear view mirror.  AND QUIT WITH THE EXCUSES!!!!