Western Illinois at ORU

ORUTerry

The Leathernecks travel to cold, snowy(?) Tulsa to play ORU on Thursday. ORU beat WIU by one in a tough contest a few weeks ago in Macomb. Western Illinois is 13-9 on the season and 4-6 in league play. They are 1-3 over the last 4 games - all at home - beating St. Thomas and losing to SDSU, USD and UMKC.

Link to WIU stats:  Link

They essentially play seven players with five getting substantial minutes. WIU does not shoot the ball well from 3-pt but still are third in the league in attempts at 24.8 per game. They have two 6'10" players (Barisic and Pearson) and will probably try to pound the ball down low. Wonder how much zone defense we will utilize? They shoot a lot of free throws.

Team Stats:

ppg:    78.0

FG%:   43.5%  (8th in the league)

3pt%:   27.4%  (10th in the league)

Reb margin:   +0.4

Assists:   10.9

Turnovers:   10.6

So, did anyone else know this game is supposed to be a "blackout" before seeing it in this tweet from Wednesday morning?

WIU has been so up and down this season, you never know which team is going to show up.  They win on the road agaisnt Nebraska and NDSU and then lose at home to South Dakota and Kansas City.  Their starting five is very good and all five average double figures.  WIU's biggest problem is lack of defense, in that they often times give up over 80 points.  Would expect a fast paced game tomorrow night, which favors ORU.  Eagles win 85-80!

41 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Nope, but Saturday is Hall of Fame night though....

Seems very odd to announce 24 hours before a game a promotion that realistically needs several days of repetition to permeate the fanbase.  I'm not expecting very many fans other than the students to participate.

TheEagleman hoping that the Leathernecks have made it to Tulsa ahead of the storm.....don't want the game postponed because ORU should wax these guys at Mabee in front of a couple hundred hearty Golden Eagle Fans.....:circle-logoi:

My office is adjacent to the Marriott where opponents stay. As I was leaving this afternoon, I saw two guys (players?) with what looked like WIU gear on walking back towards the hotel from the Walgreens across the street. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

My office is adjacent to the Marriott where opponents stay. As I was leaving this afternoon, I saw two guys (players?) with what looked like WIU gear on walking back towards the hotel from the Walgreens across the street. 

That's an outstanding scouting report ORUTerry!!  

• Haha 1

Terry is the man!!...and ORU is only -6.5 and O/U is 160.5....TheEagleman loves the Good Guys at that number and the Over....WIU plays very little D and  we should get 90+ in this game....😎

Once again, this will be a closer game than it should be, with the Leathernecks not only covering the 6.5 spread, but keeping the outcome in doubt till the very end.  #TrustTheProcess

Two things are certain when they do these "free admission" games:
  1.  There will only be about 25 people seated in my section.
  2.  Four of them will be in my reserved seats.

• Haha 1

Game Admission is Free and so is wagering advice from TheEagleman.....as I said last night, love ORU and the Over in this one....the Leathernecks peaked in November/December....not saying this will be a rout but I do expect ORU to pull away in the final 10 minutes and a 30+ point game for Max....also looking for big contributions from DJ, Eli  and McBride.....the Golden Eagles keep nice and warm with some hot shooting and roll to a home victory....hopefully the refs take off their blinders and call a decent game.....if they don't surely OT and Terry will let them hear about it....ORU 96  Western Illinois 82.......GO BLUE!!!....:tb-blue:

Hopefully President Wilson is incetivizing (bribing) the students to attend the game. How awesome would it be in this  snowy weather to have 2500+ students at the game!! how about free pizza for all of the wings that have at least half of their people at the game. I will be there tonight with my 3 grandsons. Cant wait! ORU 92- WIU 75.

• Like 1

TheEagleman admires you greatly, 88...would love to be at Mabee tonight with my 3 grandsons.....and I love your prediction.....tonight should be a lot of fun at 7777 So. Lewis!!...:shield-logo:

TheEagleman figures we won't get an honest count for attendance tonight....will they provide # of seats/tickets distributed or sold or the actual # of warm bodies in the building?....hopefully a really nice student turnout since it should be fun to snowboard from the dorms to Mabee Center with everything frozen solid.....not expecting many people to drive to campus except for real die hards like OT and ORUTERRY....oh and EAGLE88....so I will set the O/U for # of actual people in the building at 1800 if the bulk of the Blue Crew shows up........GO BLUE!!  🍺:hc_mills::shield-logo:  :wiu:

They should allow the student section to sit near the court on one side, right behind the bench, instead of being stuffed in the corner at the baseline. It would be great to see them there and bring tons of energy tonight.