ORU at Omaha

ORUTerry

Coach Mills was trying to give the starters some rest with a 3pm tip-off looming in Denver on Saturday, but the Mavs had other ideas. 

Much like the St. Thomas game, an opponent who was getting blown out at home chose to not roll over and instead fought hard for 40 minutes. Fans at the game in St. Paul said Mills was really annoyed the Tommies forced him to play the starters extra minutes before an afternoon tip at Western Illinois; I bet he was thrilled Omaha did the same thing tonight! 😆

3 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Weaver had his first double/double of his career: 13 and 10 rebounds.  Not bad for a small forward.  Lufile took over in the second half and ORU finally posted up him.  McBride had his six straight double figure scoring output.  It may not be pretty, but I will take the Eagles in a track meet game any night.  

So right Keenan, what we saw tonight in the 2nd half is how we can pound teams inside with Lufile and our bigs and how that helps our all our other guys like Weaver, etc.. Going big also shows how working the inside a little bit not only doesn't slow us down, but actually gets our shooters wide open looks!!! 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, ORU40 said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree, IMHO if we are going to stay with our current primality 3 guard, 3 point shot offense we wont make it past the conference semi's. I agree that McBride is good in the lane, he and Max are our best off the dribble options along with Kareem. But, if we want to go farther we have to be bigger and more physical. It will help us on offense, but it will also make us better defensively in the lane and improve our rebounding!  

To clarify:  I don't disagree with your assessment. 

I was just saying the guards are likely doing what they've been told to do with the "3-or-drive" philosophy, causing the ball to stick in their hands a lot.

I think we both agree it would be nice to see a little pass-and-cut, or give-and-go, or whatever you want to call it, allowing them to receive the ball in the paint rather than always starting their individual possession from outside the arc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1