ORU at Omaha

ORUTerry

The Golden Eagles travel north to play Omaha on Thursday. The Mavericks are 3-17 on the season and 2-7 in conference play.

Omaha MBB stats

We beat them 107 to 62 on January 1st at the Mabee Center. Their two conference wins are against WIU (84-78) and North Dakota (98-82). They played NDSU within 4 and SDSU within 9 at home. Omaha appears to be a different team (statistically) at their home arena.

Conference team stats:

PPG:   73.8

FG%:   44.3%   (opponents - 46.0%)

3pt%:  33.0%   (opponents - 39.1%)

Reb margin:   -6.2

Assists:    11.8

Turnovers:    12.0

Wondering if Paul Mills will be available for the Omaha game and/or Denver on Saturday.   

Did anyone catch whether he participated in his radio show on Monday night?

Yeah....we need you Coach Mills!!!  :hc_mills:👍:hc_mills:

He was not on the radio program. Adam said he was still ill. 

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Wondering if Paul Mills will be available for the Omaha game and/or Denver on Saturday.   

Did anyone catch whether he participated in his radio show on Monday night?

The interview with Iain Laymon was really worth listening to.

Follow-up on the Iain Laymon interview:  they talked a little bit about the court-length inbound play that ORU ran with 2.3 seconds left, which produced a great look from Max.

Here's what they didn't mention:  if that play looked familiar, it's because we've all seen it a jillion times during March Madness telecasts.  It's called "Pacer", and it's what #13 Valpo ran to beat #4 Ole Miss in the 1998 NCAA first round in Oklahoma City.

It should come as no surprise that Paul Mills (or, in this case, his staff in his absence) has that particular play in the bag of tricks; I bet Baylor ran it many, many times while he was there with Scott Drew.

Further evidence of what any honest coach will tell you:  99% of the stuff they run, they got from some other coach (who got it from some other coach, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This should be an easy win at 3-17 Omaha.....ORU will be close to a double digit favorite.....so why does TheEagleman have a feeling that it won't be that simple?........🥺:omaha:🥺

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

This should be an easy win at 3-17 Omaha.....ORU will be close to a double digit favorite.....so why does TheEagleman have a feeling that it won't be that simple?........🥺:omaha:🥺

Because the team has not looked great the past few games; but have managed to get by with grit and timely plays, up until NDSU Saturday night.

Francis Lacis is close to getting his picture on the side of a milk carton...need him and everyone else to start playing up to their full potential.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amen....if the team comes up flat again this weekend then the coaching staff is going to have to make some lineup changes and restructure the number of minutes.....more Sir Isaac and Eli perhaps?......:circle-logoi:

Omaha usually does not play much defense, giving up over 80 points a game.  So that favors the Eagles in their race to 80 games.  ORU should get the offense going and win 88-80.  Hit those threes!

They're gonna be really tired after 80 games... 😉

Actually, I think it favors the underdog at home that ORU plays their style.  A no-defense shootout might end up like the debacle at Central Arkansas...too risky!

ORU needs to emphasize defense and rebounding first; let the offense come from whatever is working on either end.

• Haha 1

ORU is -13.5....O/U is 161.5....those are some big numbers on the road....😯

14 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU is -13.5....O/U is 161.5....those are some big numbers on the road....😯

Line stays at -13.5, but the O/U moves UP to 164.  Vegas is expecting some fast-paced action, picking ORU 89-75.  If we shoot our threes like last Saturday night, we don't get anywhere close to 89.

47 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

If we shoot our threes like last Saturday night, we don't get anywhere close to 89.

Unless you go to the free throw line 25 to 30 times, which hasn't happened yet this season vs. D1 opponents (22 FTA , thrice), and is almost inconceivable on the road with ORU's offensive approach of late.

shocked the princess bride GIF

Just a quick reminder, tonight's game is free on the Omaha website.  Go Eagles!

TheEagleman will be very disappointed if this is not a double digit victory for the Good Guys....that said.....I am very nervous after the two woeful performances last week at home.....as we have discussed it's always hard to win on the road sometimes even when the home team is 3-17......we need to wake up and play some good basketball especially against the bottom feeders of the Summit League.....expecting 30+ from Max tonight but not sure what to expect from the others.......TheEagleman can't in good conscience place a bet on this game...have no feel for it.....hoping Coach Mills is back as he's worth at least 3-5 points in my opinion......this is probably a sloppy affair and ORU holds off pesky Omaha in the end....Golden Eagles 82  Mavs 75......GO BLUE!!  :tb-white:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman will be very disappointed if this is not a double digit victory for the Good Guys....that said.....I am very nervous after the two woeful performances last week at home.....as we have discussed it's always hard to win on the road sometimes even when the home team is 3-17......we need to wake up and play some good basketball especially against the bottom feeders of the Summit League.....expecting 30+ from Max tonight but not sure what to expect from the others.......TheEagleman can't in good conscience place a bet on this game...have no feel for it.....hoping Coach Mills is back as he's worth at least 3-5 points in my opinion......this is probably a sloppy affair and ORU holds off pesky Omaha in the end....Golden Eagles 82  Mavs 75......GO BLUE!!  :tb-white:

Excellent analysis in my (hardly) humble opinion.  Mavs easily cover the spread.  #TrustTheProcess

I think the good guys had a wake up call the last 2 games and will come out swinging. ORU 85- Mavs 70.

I don't know that lumping the NDSU game in with the UND game as "woeful" is fair. NDSU's season was on the line and they played like it. I felt our defense was solid for the most part and our offense was too, though we couldn't actually get anything through the hole. Max played a good game, just couldn't get anything in the hole. Sometimes you just have those nights. We had a really poor shooting night that we most likely won't replicate for the rest of the season, and yet were still in the lead with 7 seconds left (let's forget about what happened after that).  I wouldn't classify that as a poor performance. 

Good guys by 20+ tonight. I'll say ORU 87, Omaha 65

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Unless you go to the free throw line 25 to 30 times, which hasn't happened yet this season vs. D1 opponents (22 FTA , thrice), and is almost inconceivable on the road with ORU's offensive approach of late.

With our style of play we wont get anywhere near 25 FT's in a game. When your scoring is guard dominate and your entire offense is geared to shooting 3's you're just not going to get to the line with any frequency and our stats bear that out.

We have played 20 games this year and our starting front court have shot 31 combined total FT's:

Weaver: 13, Kareem:11 and Lacis: 7, in 20 games our starting front court has shot 31 free throws!!! That's attempts not makes, and it works out to 1.55 free throw attempts from your starting front court per game!!!  Just for comparison, Lufile and Herron in far less minutes played have attempted 23 & 22 FT's respectively. Our top scorer, Max shoots 4 a game.  I'd love to see us diversify our offense a little more; some post ups and drives to the basket to draw some more fouls and get to the line more often; but it not, lets hope the 3's are dropping!

Go Eagles!!  

Believe that Omaha remembers the 45 point thrashing they took at the Mabee Center just a few weeks ago and will come out playing tough.  The Mavs only lost to NDSU by four at home and SDSU by nine at home.  Then they lose by 30 or more on the road most nights.  They will give the Eagles a tough fight tonight but ORU will find a way to get back in the winner's column.  

46 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

With our style of play we wont get anywhere near 25 FT's in a game. When your scoring is guard dominate and your entire offense is geared to shooting 3's you're just not going to get to the line with any frequency and our stats bear that out.

We have played 20 games this year and our starting front court have shot 31 combined total FT's:

Weaver: 13, Kareem:11 and Lacis: 7, in 20 games our starting front court has shot 31 free throws!!! That's attempts not makes, and it works out to 1.55 free throw attempts from your starting front court per game!!!  Just for comparison, Lufile and Herron in far less minutes played have attempted 23 & 22 FT's respectively. Our top scorer, Max shoots 4 a game.  I'd love to see us diversify our offense a little more; some post ups and drives to the basket to draw some more fouls and get to the line more often; but it not, lets hope the 3's are dropping!

Go Eagles!!  

Francis Lacis is a particular case in point: 

• In his last five games, he's scored a total of 16 points. 
  • He's taken 18 shots in that span, 16 of which were threes (making only four of them)
  • He made both of his 2-point shots (pretty sure they were both dunks vs. UND)
  • He has not shot a single free throw in that time

That means one of ORU's starting frontcourt players has not even ATTEMPTED a lay-up, a turnaround shot off a post move, a nice pull-up on the baseline or off the glass, or a free throw, in five straight games.

That's crazy, isn't it?

He needs to take a page from his old teammate Kevin Obanor this past month:  pull up your big boy pants, get off the freaking 3-point line, get under the basket, and go to work!

work perfect loops GIF

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He needs to take a page from his old teammate Kevin Obanor this past month:  pull up your big boy pants, got off the freaking 3-point line, get under the basket, and go to work!

I agree regarding Lacis, but I would change the He at the start of that sentence to WE. As a team we need to get off the 3 point line as much as we are, get in the paint and get to work! I think without KO this year we are too much of a finesse team; almost soft, as we play small often with 5 guys just floating around behind the 3 point line. We need to get much more physical offensively and defensively!

Let's start seeing more minutes for Lufile and Herron and maybe less for Phipps and the 3 gaurd line up, and start going to the rack!!  Posting up, running that pick and dive getting Lufile and Herron attacking the rim when their defender has to help on Max or McBride. We are a good 3 point shooting team, but instead of hoping we shoot well from 3, lets add some inside play and more free throws and win weather shoot 3's well or not!!

Go Eagles!!

7 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I agree regarding Lacis, but I would change the He at the start of that sentence to WE. As a team we need to get off the 3 point line as much as we are, get in the paint and get to work! I think without KO this year we are too much of a finesse team; almost soft, as we play small often with 5 guys just floating around behind the 3 point line. We need to get much more physical offensively and defensively!

Let's start seeing more minutes for Lufile and Herron and maybe less for Phipps and the 3 gaurd line up, and start going to the rack!!  Posting up, running that pick and dive getting Lufile and Herron attacking the rim when their defender has to help on Max or McBride. We are a good 3 point shooting team, but instead of hoping we shoot well from 3, lets add some inside play and more free throws and win weather shoot 3's well or not!!

Go Eagles!!

I think the guards are doing what's asked of them in drving to the hole and trying to draw contact, thus getting to the line.  But the refs see that over and over again, and are not going to give them the bail-out call every time they go to the well, so to speak.  Phipps has been the biggest offender in that regard, buit seems to be figuring out that he can't just go flying in there hoping for a whistle; he needs to make a ligitimate move, which he's started doing.

What I've been crying for is posting-up the guards on occasion, since the're being defended one-on-one and the big men are out on the perimeter a lot of the time with DJ and Francis. 

Problem is, the opposing guards in the Summit (particulary in the Dakotas) are typically pretty big and strong, so the best bet is still probably trying to out-quick them off the drive, but would it be terrible to post McBride maybe a time or two a half?  Dude's got great moves on the block, and MAYBE IT WILL RESULT IN A FOUL AND @#$%&# FREE THROWS!!