* Chicago State University

* Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne

* Longwood University

* New Jersey Institute of Technology

* North Dakota State University

* Savannah State University

* South Dakota State University

* University of Texas-Pan American

* University of California, Davis - will join Big West Conference in 2007, and plays every Big West team twice currently.

* University of Northern Colorado - will join the Big Sky Conference in 2006.

* Utah Valley State College

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• mickeyb

• ORUJason

• s2c

Not any real rosy options there, Terry. Actually, the ones already discussed around on the message board - IPFW, SDSU, NDSU, UT-Pan American, and Utah Valley State - make up the majority of the available teams.

We either expand or bolt the conference.... our only apparent choices for conferences are either Southland or Sunbelt.

The Southland Conference consists of:

Lamar

McNeese State

Nicholls State

Northwestern State - LA

Sam Houston State

Southeastern State - LA

Stephen F. Austin

University of Texas @ Arlington

University of Texas @ San Antonio

Texas State University - San Marcos

University of Central Arkansas (new in 2006-07)

Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (new in 2006-07)

The Sunbelt Conference consists of:

Western Kentucky

Middle Tennessee

Arkansas State

Arkansas-Little Rock

Florida International

South Alabama

Louisiana - Lafayette

Denver

New Orleans

North Texas

Troy

Louisiana-Monroe (new in 2006-07)

Okay, what happens if Southern Utah leaves for the Big Sky Conference and Centenary decides to face reality and convert to D-II status? Wonder if the conference presidents are contemplating a 'mass' infusion: North Dakota, South Dakota State, IPFW and Pan American?

Why in the world did we not add Belmont, Denver or Texas A&M Corpus Christi when we had the chance?

I read last week that the NCAA is contemplating the move to allow Canadian schools to join D-1.... maybe we could add several Canadian schools and have a northern division. Just kidding.

Real funny, Terry - the Canadian division of the Mid-Con! Talk about your difficult travel!!

I did not realize that with the planned expansions, the Southland and Sun-Belt Conferences each have 12 teams already, and I assume they each have 2 six-team divisions.

Based on that, I wouldn't think that either conference would see the need to add a 13th team, unless Denver found a better option out west, because right now their travel schedule is brutal.

Unless the MVC has a team bolt, they probably won't change how they feel about us, so it looks like we need the Mid-Con to stay strong.

Down the road, if Denver ever decided to leave the Sun-Belt for a more regionally located conference, the Sun-Belt might be a good option to consider.

We need a moved to another league. The Southland or Sun-Belt would be perfect and our baseball would be very competitive... plus either conference would get us down into Texas and actually get us in front of some recruits instead of playing in northern states.

we definitely need a move to a new conference but the only two options don't seem like they'd be interested at all - ORU offers a solid program in all sports but both conferences are so huge as it is (and I'm not sure if this matters or not but we also do not have football)

I don't like the way things are shaping up at all.

From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 002/SPORTS

Valparaiso's departure could help Jackrabbits

Mid-Continent now down to seven members; Big Sky also appears interested

Chris Solari

csolari@argusleader.com

May 18, 2006

In less than a week, South Dakota State appears to have gone from convincing different conferences that it is worthy of membership to becoming a desired commodity.

Mid-Continent Conference charter member Valparaiso announced Wednesday that it would leave the conference to join the Horizon League for the 2007-08 school year.

That could create a battle over SDSU and North Dakota State between the Mid-Con and Big Sky conferences. The presidents of the Big Sky, who twice shunned the Dakota schools because of their location, will meet next Tuesday with expansion on the agenda.

"I think what we're starting to see out of the Mid-Con is that South Dakota State and North Dakota State are becoming more attractive toward the end of their transition," Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said Tuesday. "They're more attractive now than they were two years ago."

SDSU and NDSU, who will complete the NCAA's required five-year probation period for moving to Division I before the 2008-09 school year, have played as independent schools since moving to D-I in 2004-05.

The Mid-Continent presidents will meet June 27 in Chicago. Both SDSU and NDSU, along with Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne, have been asked to submit institutional profiles for potential membership into the league, which is now down to seven members. . . .

Fullerton does not expect any action to be taken at Tuesday's Big Sky meeting in Missoula, Mont. Montana State President Geoff Gamble said he supports expanding the league from nine to 12 teams and breaking it into north and south divisions. . . .

Both Fullerton and Gamble said the push for additional expansion is being made because athletic directors discovered they were having diffuclties scheduling for basketball in a nine-team league. . . . (read more)

I think we have to be careful not make this out to be doomsday for ORU athletics or the Mid-Con. Valpo's surprise exit presents some serious challenges for our AD and Mid-Con officials that could open up some options to eventually improve our situation.

Nothing will be immediate. Those of you that think finding another conference should be our #1 priority (and I'm one) have to be patient. While we are waiting, Mid-Con officials have to make strenghthening the conference their #1 priority. While searching for another school(s) to add they should also be working on policy that will reward member schools that work to strenghthen their programs (recruits, scheduling, etc), and penalize schools that make no progress. The new school(s) coming in should be expected to adapt.

2 years ago when conferences all across the country where restructuring we should have been looking then. We missed that boat, but hopefully Valpo's move has woken us up from that slumber so we won't miss the next one. Timing is everything.

Lesson learned: Never become content at the top.

It will be very interesting to see what the conference presidents decide in their June meeting. They could decide to hold off any decision to see what happens in the future (we have three year period - Valpo doesn't leave for one year and we have a two grace period after that), we could just add one school to replace Valpo and play as an 8 school league, or we could try a larger infusion of 3+ schools and let the situation shake itself out.

Doing nothing is risky in that the choices might be smaller a year or more away - or there could be a school that wants to leave their current conference affiliation (far fetched).

Just bringing in one school leaves the conference open to another defection, but would minimize the 'dilution' that could occur with new schools coming into the league.

Bringing in 3+ schools 'protects' the league but will result in a major dilution of talent and RPI. There is no way around the fact that losing Valpo will hurt the Mid-Con RPI - even though they have been slipping lately. Valpo did play a reasonably tough basketball schedule which usually put them in the top 150 or so. We need the other league teams (and new additions) to get better.

Losing Valpo in baseball is a non-event.... they don't take it seriously and it shows.

As much as I hate to say it because of scheduling difficulties, we will probably go after the Dakota schools. I would cringe if we chose IPFW or whatever they are called.... another commuter school without their own identity. The interesting thing question is whether the Big Sky will take the Dakota schools before we can get them - and/or take SUU.

We need to hold on and let the wave wash over us and see where we end up. Rest assured that other changes are going to take place in other conferences over the next several years - we need to be ready to take advantage.

I'm glad we have someone like Mike Carter at the helm....

Montana State President Geoff Gamble said he supports expanding the league from nine to 12 teams and breaking it into north and south divisions. . . .

Wonder how many other Big Sky presidents share these sentiments. If they do decide to go to 12 teams the pecking order would probably be: 1. Southern Utah 2a. North Dakota State 2b. South Dakota State. You could argue Utah Valley State into the mix, but they lack football which all three other schools have.

Let's play a quick game of what if . . . what if the Big Sky does decide to go to 12 teams and they take SUU, NDSU, and SDSU? That leaves the Mid-Con with six teams (and you never know when Centenary's going to fall off the boat) and the only independants left out there are IPFW, UVSC, Tx-Pan Am., NJ Tech, and Longwood. Not exactly the pick of the litter. So what should ORU do, might you ask . . .

BEG TO JOIN THE FRICKIN' SUN BELT!!!!!!!!!

Even if SUU stays and the Mid-Con adds the Dakotas, it would be in the best interest of EVERY PROGRAM at ORU to compete in the Sun Belt. As mentioned earlier, they'll have 13 schools starting next year so it would make sense to get to an even number for divisional alignment, scheduling, etc.

All together now . . . Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt! Sun Belt!

Someone help me if my math is wrong, but according to my calculations, the Sunbelt has 13 members with Louisiana-Monroe joining this summer. BUT, Florida Atlantic is only a member for football purposes and no other sports. That means that the Sunbelt is a 12 member conference for basketball, baseball and the other sports we compete in.

The Sunbelt also turned us down in the past.... that was approximately 10 years ago. One of the reasons I heard was that our facilities were too nice - no kidding. They were concerned that we might come in 'dominate' the league. That sounds silly, but that's what I heard. The league has added a lot of members since then so maybe they would be amenable - if they had room. It doesn't look like they do.

Your scenario about SUU and the Dakota schools going to the Big Sky is only too real. Who would have thought Valpo would jump to the Horizon? My guess is that they only take one school, but maybe they want to divide into east/west divisions. My guess is that the Big Sky will work fast to invite a school(s) into their league.