It's us (Valpo)

rlh

According to the Sportsnetwork....it is us who's moving to the Horizon League....

Valparaiso accepts invitation to join Horizon League

Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Valparaiso University, notably known for its recent success in men's basketball, accepted an invitation to join the basketball-rich Horizon League on Wednesday.

The Crusaders will begin Horizon League competition in 17 intercollegiate sports beginning with the 2007-08 academic year, vying for a league title in all sports but men's and women's golf.

Valparaiso will make the move from the Mid-Continent Conference based partly on the geographic benefits of entering the Horizon League.

"Institutions in the Horizon League are much more geographically centralized than the institutions within the Mid-Continent Conference," said university president Dr. Alan F. Harre. "The transition to the Horizon League means less time will be needed by our student-athletes as they travel to and from competition, and it means they will miss fewer classes. Shorter travel also means less fatigue and increased concentration in the classroom."

More than anything, the men's basketball program will benefit from the move, joining NCAA stalwarts Butler and Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the highly- competitive conference.

Valparaiso has made seven appearances in the NCAA Tournament since 1996, including a dramatic trip to the Sweet 16 in 1998. During that magical run, guard Bryce Drew's leaning jumper to knock off Mississippi in the first round became a staple of the tournament's mantra, "One Shining Moment."

The women's basketball team has also gained national recognition with back-to- back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2003 and 2004. In addition, the women's volleyball team has appeared in three consecutive NCAA Tournaments while the women's soccer team won the Mid-Continent Conference's regular-season and tournament titles en route to an NCAA berth last season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• ORU Eli

• vcboy2000

• tmh8286

Talk about an earthquake..... There goes the big rivalry we have in the conference. Wonder how hard we are scrambling to find new members - or a new conference?

wow! Talk about huge news, this should spice up the mid-con presidents meeting just a little bit! I wish it would have been CC or SUU. I like SUU but I thought maybe they would get the invite to BSC, oh well!

This is not good. Not good at all.

I just changed my mind on NDSU/SDSU. Please come to the Mid-Con Dakota schools!

So does this mean that the Mid-Con loses it's auto bid?

The Mid-Con has a 2-year grace period to find another school. Maybe we can ask Chicago State to change its mind. :D

Let's hope SUU is not successful in moving to the Big Sky conference.

I suspect this may change ORU's stance a bit on the Dakota schools.... unless we can find a Texas school that meets our criteria.

Not to be repetitive (I posted this in another thread) but the conference has two years to replace a team that causes a drop below the minimum requirement of eight.

This according to the ORU AD.

Valpo should be very happy about this - great move for them.

Baaaaaad for us. Valpo was the only other program somewhat recognizeable in the conference. If only it were that easy for us to skip town.

The more I reflect on this, the more I don't like it. It is bad on many levels. We lose our biggest rival and the other recognizeable name/team in the league. When do we decide to go to plan B - leaving the conference for 'greener pastures'?

Guest EagleBackr

...guess maybe we should have let them win at least ONCE in Tulsa. Now they're taking their ball and going home mad!

Seriously, props to them - great conference for them to be joining. Have to wonder, though, how their facilities managed to pass muster. Did any of the Horizon League conference presidents or AD's bother to even look at Valpo's baseball field? They better step up and spend some money, or they just became the "Centenary" of that league...

Wow, congrats to Valpo! I hope we can continue to play you guys in the future. Yeah, ND and SD State, come on down, you're the next contestants on "Join the Mid-Con" !

...guess maybe we should have let them win at least ONCE in Tulsa.

We have one more chance as a Mid-Con member.

Your going to have to take EB out of your avatar before long, Valpower. Stick a penguin or something in his place!

losing valpo will not affect the AQ. the magic number is 7, not 8. is a move that makes sense for valpo. they should do fine in the horizon. as for the golden bird going to another league - has to be another league that wants you. we have been trying since we got into the mid-con to find another league

we have been trying since we got into the mid-con to find another league

And who might "we" be?