2021-2022 Preseason Rankings/Polls/Accolades/etc.

Old Titan

TheEagleman was on a business trip to OKC about a decade ago and attended the ORU vs. UTSA pre-season NIT game at Stillwater....thats were I had the pleasure of meeting OT, ORUTerry, Mike Minyard and OKCEagle (who got me some great seats down on the floor)....that night we sat in front of ORU Alum Larry Owens...a tremendous ORU player and super nice guy....too bad we lost that game on a 40 foot buzzer beater....ouch!  :tb-white:

• Like 1

While Haywood Workman’s numbers weren’t huge, wasn’t he a starter for most of those 8 seasons?  He might have the most NBA games started by an ORU player…

You might be correct, Jason....Workman was a very solid NBA player for Washington and TheEagleman remembers him playing a lot vs. the Sixers....I think Greg Sutton also played a couple years in the NBA but not near as many as Haywood.....😀

8 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

You might be correct, Jason....Workman was a very solid NBA player for Washington and TheEagleman remembers him playing a lot vs. the Sixers....I think Greg Sutton also played a couple years in the NBA but not near as many as Haywood.....😀

I think he started a lot for Indiana he and Reggie had a little  routine before games!?

10 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

I think he started a lot for Indiana he and Reggie had a little  routine before games!?

Those Pacer teams were very good, that was the Reggie Miller, Rik Smits years that were a perennial playoff team in an era with several great teams. Haywood did have that pre-game routine with Reggie, I think he was mostly a back up to Mark Jackson as opposed to being the starting point guard. Those teams were very deep, Reggie, Smits, Mark Jackson, the Davis boys (Dale & Antonio), Derek McKey, Detlef Schrempf, etc..

Haywood didn't put up huge numbers, but was a smart, tough role player on very good teams and had an excellent NBA career!!    

12 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Those Pacer teams were very good, that was the Reggie Miller, Rik Smits years that were a perennial playoff team in an era with several great teams. Haywood did have that pre-game routine with Reggie, I think he was mostly a back up to Mark Jackson as opposed to being the starting point guard. Those teams were very deep, Reggie, Smits, Mark Jackson, the Davis boys (Dale & Antonio), Derek McKey, Detlef Schrempf, etc..

Haywood didn't put up huge numbers, but was a smart, tough role player on very good teams and had an excellent NBA career!!    

You know your hoops!🏀🏆

Mostly accurate, except maybe South Dakota and Western Illinois would trade places.  Both SDSU and NDSU have around 85-90 percent of their team back and are going to very difficult to beat.  We know they want to get some revenge on the Golden Eagles and will give ORU their best shot. Plus, Coach Mills strives to prepare the team for March, so they could have a few ups and downs in conference play.  But ORU will be ready to make another run in March!

Please someone explain to me how Max is not the best college player to play at ORU. I think too many old timers are letting nostalgia cloud their logic. Max was the #1 scorer in the nation. That alone separates him from every other player to wear Blue and gold, combine that with his post season success and wow, is it even close?

Oh brother.....🤡😬🤡

22 hours ago, ORUFan2009 said:

Please someone explain to me how Max is not the best college player to play at ORU. I think too many old timers are letting nostalgia cloud their logic. Max was the #1 scorer in the nation. That alone separates him from every other player to wear Blue and gold, combine that with his post season success and wow, is it even close?

I'm old and my mind gets a little clouded by nostalgia when I'm not catching an early bird dinner special or taking a nap but lets look at your question from 2 stand points. 1.  Being the nations leading scorer is impressive but the nations leading scorer is almost always not the best player in the country or the scoring leader would be the #1 pick in the draft or even a first rounder every year right? wrong, the nations leading scorer is rarely the #1 pick in the draft and it hasn't happened since Glen Robinson from Purdue and I believe and that would have been mid-90's, and most; historically, are not even 1st round picks.  2. More importantly and to answer your question directly, being the nations scoring leader in no way makes a player his schools best player, an example would be the University of Houston, in 2010 Aubrey Coleman of the Cougars led the nation in scoring, but he is not even close to being in the same conversation with Akeem "the dream: Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler or one of my favorite All Time great players Elvin Hayes (look Elvin up kid, he was awesome!!). 

Max had a great year and his accomplishments were very impressive, but basketball is about so much more then just scoring, and often times a teams and especially a schools best player isn't the leading scorer.  Max may well end up in the conversation, especially if he leads the nation is scoring again and back to the big dance- and I hope he does. But, he's not yet in the same category as Anthony Roberts or Mark Acres!   

With all due respect 2009, don't mistake "nostalgia" for knowledge and experience,  which a lot of the "old timers" on this site are pretty well stocked up on!! 

• Like 1

Max led the nation in scoring with a 24.5 points/game average. He did well. Taking nothing away from Max, both Richard Fuqua and Anthony Roberts had better seasons: Richard in '71-72 and Anthony in '76-77. Both finished second nationally in scoring-before 3-point shots were counted. Reduce Max's 3-point shots to just 2 each and his average falls below 20 ppg. Add 3-point shots to both Richard and Anthony's afore-mentioned seasons and you have Richard easily averaging over 40 ppg. Anthony would have been around 38 ppg.  

Yes, Richard and Anthony played in different eras. Both scored against whoever they played. Richard took Memphis State to school in the 1972 NIT game. ORU won by 94-74. Anthony scored an NIT-record (that still stands today) 65 points  in 1977, against a very good Oregon team that featured future NBA star Greg Ballard, who got 43 of his own. You can watch the rerun of this game on YouTube. ORU barely lost the game, played in the Mabee Center (I was there). 

Max got over 40 twice. Richard often got 50. I saw him get his personal high of 60. against University of the South. Anthony got the 65 against Oregon plus 66 a few weeks earlier, against North Carolina A & T.  Had there been 3-point shots then, both scores would have been 70+.

Quick side bar: Both Richard and Anthony attended Chattanooga Riverside High School, where both were All-Americans (4 years apart).

Again, Max did well. One season of individual excellence is just that-one season. Hopefully Max can draw enough attention in games, allowing his team to reach its season goals for 2021-22.

Not a old fan or new one, somewhere in the middle but just a basketball junkie.  The 70s had overall better college talent because everyone stayed for four years.  Today the game is so watered down (still enjoy it) with most of the great/good players leaving after one or two years. ORU 40 said earlier that most of the All-Americans are freshman.  Max leads the nation at 24.6 last year but oftentimes in the 70s the leading scorer averaged above 35!  

If you think about last year, Trey Young would have been a senior and Zion Williamson would have been a junior but instead they are NBA all stars.  Would Max lead the nation in scoring if those guys and others were still in college? Very unlikely.  Hopefully Max stays his final two years and then we can talk about if he is truly one of the greatest at ORU! Spoiler alert: he could be!

• Upvote 1

Real good points by the "Old Timers"......if the 3 point shot had been in play in 1971-72....Richard Fuqua would have averaged close to 50 points a game....he took a ton of bombs that season most from Steph Curry range.....in the 1972-73 season Fuqua didn't shoot as much from long range because ORU had 3 interior big men Woods, McDougald and Vaughn and the ORU offense was a lot more diverse.....Anthony Roberts took a few long shots in his career but was more of a mid range jump shot guy and drive to the hole scorer.....All in all, The Eagleman casts his vote for Anthony as the best ORU player of all time.....you can argue the top 10 (which i think OT has posted before and did a great job since he has been around all of the past 50 seasons)....Top 5 would be debated for sure.....but the 70s had some GREAT ORU players and some for only a year like David Vaughn and Sam McCants....those two could have played for any D-1 team in the country.....as for Max.....at this point he could be a top 10 ORU player for sure but let's see how he does in 2021-22 now that everybody will be gunning for him.....TheEagleman agrees that the kid is talented and has a huge heart.....👍

On 9/11/2021 at 3:23 PM, ORUFan2009 said:

Awww, isn't this cute...

Quick question:  did you ever have the honor of seeing Richard Fuqua, Anthony Roberts, or Mark Acres play in person?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Us "old-timers" DID (well, at least THIS old-timer did).

Which is why we say what we say about them. 

Take our words for it:  they were really, really, REALLY good basketball players, who enjoyed fantastic careers playing against top-flight competition, and  - believe it or not - were "better" than Max (who, truth be told, I also adore).

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Not a old fan or new one, somewhere in the middle but just a basketball junkie.  The 70s had overall better college talent because everyone stayed for four years.  Today the game is so watered down (still enjoy it) with most of the great/good players leaving after one or two years. ORU 40 said earlier that most of the All-Americans are freshman.  Max leads the nation at 24.6 last year but oftentimes in the 70s the leading scorer averaged above 35!  

If you think about last year, Trey Young would have been a senior and Zion Williamson would have been a junior but instead they are NBA all stars.  Would Max lead the nation in scoring if those guys and others were still in college? Very unlikely.  Hopefully Max stays his final two years and then we can talk about if he is truly one of the greatest at ORU! Spoiler alert: he could be!

You're so right Keenan, every era is different. Our 70's teams were amazing, they put ORU on the map! Richard Fuqua set the table, Anthony Roberts kicked the door in and Calvin Garrett was an outstanding player and in the 80's Mark Acres earned his jersey being placed in the rafters and Haywood Workman was a beast. In the 90's when we were down, Greg Sutton was un-stoppable and in the 2000's Caleb Green was absolutely the real deal and probably a top 5 ORU player all time.

Max has a unique opportunity to improve upon his position as an all time great at a school with an impressive history and tradition. If he can come close to repeating last year and we all hope he does, he will definitely move up on the all time great list which he has already earned a spot on!!   

Go Eagles an go get it Max!!!

• Upvote 1