2021-2022 Preseason Rankings/Polls/Accolades/etc.

Old Titan

TheEagleman does like some Billy Sims' BBQ....always stopped there when i used to travel to OKC on business a few years back.....so something good does occasionally come out of Norman....😎

• Haha 2

I grew up in Oklahoma; I love watching OU and OSU in football; even TU to some extent (their unlikely success last season with Hominy's Zaven Collins leading the way was special). 

And it's hard not to appreciate the championship-level play of OU softball, OSU golf, etc.

Never felt quite the same about those schools in basketball, however:  admired Billy Tubbs, but not when he played ORU (always ran up the score), detested Kelvin Sampson during his time at OU, Eddie Sutton's condescending attitude toward ORU was always annoying, and Doug Wojcik at TU was the biggest tool of them all as he correspondingly disparaged ORU publicly while obsessing over the rivalry privately. 

The bright exception is OSU's Mike Boynton:  LOVE that guy; not sure how great an X's and O's coach he is, but wish him nothing but the best on the court...except when he plays ORU!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, Old Titan said:

I grew up in Oklahoma; I love watching OU and OSU in football; even TU to some extent (their unlikely success last season with Hominy's Zaven Collins leading the way was special). 

And it's hard not to appreciate the championship-level play of OU softball, OSU golf, etc.

Never felt quite the same about those schools in basketball, however:  admired Billy Tubbs, but not when he played ORU (always ran up the score), detested Kelvin Sampson during his time at OU, Eddie Sutton's condescending attitude toward ORU was always annoying, and Doug Wojcik at TU was the biggest tool of them all as he correspondingly disparaged ORU publicly while obsessing over the rivalry privately. 

The bright exception is OSU's Mike Boynton:  LOVE that guy; not sure how great an X's and O's coach he is, but wish him nothing but the best on the court...except when he plays ORU!

Me too!. I'm a huge Boynton fan!

Was at Old Faithful in Yellowstone yesterday & had a NDSU fan and two different groups of BYU fans stop me and say something about the Sweet 16 shirt I was wearing.

• Like 3

TheEagleman has also gotten some comments here in PA when i wear my Sweet 16 shirt or ORU hat.....now it seems almost everybody knows about us......:shield-logo:

• 1 month later...

Max has been listed as the 8th best player in college basketball for the upcoming season (making the madness website).  CBS Sports also has him listed as the 6th best player.  That is high praise for Mid Court Max!  What will it take for him to be a first team All-American by season's end?  Last year he made some 3rd team All-American lists but I think he can jump to 1st team this year.

43 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

What will it take for him to be a first team All-American by season's end?  

Leading the country in scoring again AND minimum 20 wins.

Nothing short of that would vault him onto the first team.

If Max made 1st team All-American he would be the first Golden Eagle to ever achieve that.  RJ Fuqua is listed as 2nd team and Anthony Roberts was 3rd team All American, according to Wiki.  Not saying Max is better then those guys but it would be a great honor for him and the school.  

Again...just the 2 cents of an old Titan fan but Anthony Roberts is hands down the best all around basketball player ever at ORU.....of course it was a different game back in the 70s....but Woosie probably also had the best NBA career although that can be debated....but if Max can lead the nation in scoring again then TheEagleman would be willing to reconsider.....😎

Max may be the best point guard in college basketball, unless Scottie Pippen Jr. (Vanderbilt) has an unbelieveable year.  Anybody name a better point guard then Max in college basketball?  

8 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max may be the best point guard in college basketball, unless Scottie Pippen Jr. (Vanderbilt) has an unbelieveable year.  Anybody name a better point guard then Max in college basketball?  

Most of the top draft picks in next years NBA draft, and college All Americans were not in college this past year. They were McDonald's High School All-Americans!! Just look at the last NBA draft, Cunningham, Suggs, Mobley etc, etc. were all freshman, I'm guessing there were maybe a hand full of non-freshman, 1 year G-league or teenage overseas players. Off the top of my head, I know Wagner from Michigan and Krispert from Gonzaga and Davion Mitchell from Baylor and I'm sure I'm missing 1 or 2, but thats about it. So a lot of the All American honors will go to highly recruited and top ranked freshman at the top 25 teams that play well.

I know we're not supposed to mention it, but our schedule wont help Max either. Our league is not highly ranked and he'll only have a few OOC quality games to but up good numbers. Whatever he puts up against the NAIA schools is irrelevant and may actually hurt him with voters of the post season honors.

Just my opinion, but I would have to agree with the Eagleman that Anthony Roberts was the best all round player in ORU school history. I'm of course very partial to Mark Acres, and Fuqua put us on the map, but Anthony Roberts was a PLAYER!!!    

• Like 1

Agree 40 that Acres is in the discussion along with Richard Fuqua....I never saw Mark Acres except in the NBA and he was decent.....TheEagleman did catch one game in Fuqua's Jr. year and all of his Sr. season.....Richard was very good but kind of a one trick pony....but he was a great shooter from 15 and out past 25 ft....Anthony Roberts had the whole package....he could shoot from mid range and distance, drive to the hole and he was a tremendous rebounder at 6-5 but he played more like 6-8....also Woosie could dish the ball....and calm as a cucumber on the court....just a wonderful all around player.....Woosie and I were friendly and had a couple classes together my senior year.....my first wife worked with his wife Rebecca on campus....my favorite AR moment was a game in Oklahoma City in early 1976....we had lost 3 in a row including a national TV game at Mabee vs. Penn which really stung.....so we head up the turnpike to OKC  a few days later for a mid week game and ORU is in control until the final minutes when OKC University rallies to tie the game on a shot with under 10 seconds left....the ball is inbounded to Roberts who calmly dribbles across the center line....he is right in front of me as I am sitting on press row with another member of the Oracle Staff....with the clock counting down to :01....Anthony pulls up and swishes a 30 footer to win the game by 2 (no 3 pt shot back then)....Woosie just turns and winks at me and then joins his teammates to celebrate....the trip back to Tulsa was enjoyable....😉

• Upvote 1

The Amazing thing is that TheEagleman can remember details of that night over 45 yrs ago ...but I can't remember the name of someone introduced to me last week.....🥴

• Haha 2

Anthony Roberts was the best player to come to ORU, but he did not have the best NBA career-Alvin Scott did. With college career points and rebounds averages both below 10/game, Alvin just wanted a chance to play in the NBA. Phoenix gave Alvin such a chance, with Alvin gaining 20 pounds without losing his incredible jumping and shot-blocking ability. With Alvin, the Suns made the playoffs all 8 years he played. I haven't taken the time to check, but Alvin may have played more NBA games than all other ORU players who made it to the NBA-combined

That's an interesting debate, 74.....Alvin Scott was a wonderful player and an even nicer person....he and his wife were our next door neighbors over on Peoria Ave in 1975-76....gave him a lift occasionally to 7777 S. Lewis in my little green AMC Hornet and not sure how he got his 6-7 frame into the front seat but it was tight.....but yeah, Alvin played 8 seasons with the Suns and never averaged more than 6.7 pts or 4.4 rebounds....he had similar numbers with ORU but was a great defender and 6th man....Roberts played 5 NBA Seasons with Denver and Washington and his highs were 9.7 pts and 2.6 rebounds but unfortunately his career shortened by injuries and drug abuse.....Haywoode Workman also spent 8 yrs in the NBA with similar numbers and later became an NBA Ref....and Mark Acres played like 5  seasons in the NBA averaging about 5 pts and 5 rebs.....so yeah, Alvin Scott may have been ORU's best NBA player....I think our best PRO player is probably Caleb Green who had double digit seasons in Europe and played at a very high level.....:tb-blue:

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

That's an interesting debate, 74.....Alvin Scott was a wonderful player and an even nicer person....he and his wife were our next door neighbors over on Peoria Ave in 1975-76....gave him a lift occasionally to 7777 S. Lewis in my little green AMC Hornet and not sure how he got his 6-7 frame into the front seat but it was tight.....but yeah, Alvin played 8 seasons with the Suns and never averaged more than 6.7 pts or 4.4 rebounds....he had similar numbers with ORU but was a great defender and 6th man....Roberts played 5 NBA Seasons with Denver and Washington and his highs were 9.7 pts and 2.6 rebounds but unfortunately his career shortened by injuries and drug abuse.....Haywoode Workman also spent 8 yrs in the NBA with similar numbers and later became an NBA Ref....and Mark Acres played like 5  seasons in the NBA averaging about 5 pts and 5 rebs.....so yeah, Alvin Scott may have been ORU's best NBA player....I think our best PRO player is probably Caleb Green who had double digit seasons in Europe and played at a very high level.....:tb-blue:

I would be likely to agree with 74 regarding NBA careers, Alvin Scott had a fantastic NBA career although not as many NBA games players as all other ORU players combined,  but the most of any ORU player. But Eagleman also makes some great points, Caleb Green has had  a great long term career overseas, but Mark Acres also had great success overseas before playing in the NBA and after and many ORU players have played overseas.  Haywood Workman also had a great NBA career as a player and as a long time referee. We've had several players continue playing in the NBA or overseas.

But to me most importantly, I've met Haywood Workman one time, it was at a Laker home game in Kobe's final year. Haywood was one of the ref's at Staples that night, I was fortunately in the front row thanks to my my bother in law  (Otis83 you know who). Haywood came over and talked to us pre-game, he couldn't have been nicer. ORU hoops has produced many successful professional players and will continue to, and the ones that I've met;  and that's a lot of them, have truly been gentlemen!  

The ORU hoops family can debate a lot of things and I love throwing in my opinions- popular and unpopular, but I think we can all agree that no matter what era is yours or which player or team you think is the best, we have produced  NBA players and players that didn't play again, but our program represents class and excellence!!    

Go Eagles!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2