This Board Just Flat Lined

vcboy2000

I thought Shrek was an Ogre?

You got me... you guys know cartoons and mythical creatures way better than me. :wink:

It was a funny movie, but I never got around to the sequel.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• vcboy2000

• ORUTerry

• maniac prez

I thought ouzo was a Greek wine...

Is that stuff wine? It sure has some kick -- but the licorice taste makes me gag.

We want to start yelling "ooompppaaahhh" every time Uzoh hits a three.

Honestly, I have no idea how good these guys will be. They've been heavily recruited and it's fun to speculate after the few years we just went through. And it's always fun to beat OU for a recruit. :twisted:

TU has signed several nice players and should see an improvement in talent on the court. The two best appear Ben Uzoh (6'3" pg from San Antonio) and Jamel McClean(6'8" power forward from Virginia). Could be similar to signing Tutt and Green; two high school players who will be at TU for four years and have time to develop.

In reality, we (or they) won't know how any of the recruits will do until we see them in game situations. Hope springs eternal....

TU has signed several nice players and should see an improvement in talent on the court. The two best appear Ben Uzoh (6'3" pg from San Antonio) and Jamel McClean(6'8" power forward from Virginia). Could be similar to signing Tutt and Green; two high school players who will be at TU for four years and have time to develop.

In reality, we (or they) won't know how any of the recruits will do until we see them in game situations. Hope springs eternal....

One thing for certain, come tipoff time next season, we'll all have had an opportunity to learn a little more about our two teams. My belief is that TU will be a more competitive opponent, not only against ORU but everyone else, and put both of Tulsa's teams in the post season.

I'd say that if things progress properly, the possibility of Tulsa have two representatives in the NCAA's just got close to being a reality.

This can only benefit both of our schools.

See ya all this summer @ Champions.

It will be fun to assess both teams this summer.... as much as you can at a venue like Champions. The TU fans should have patience; the players coming in will need to get used to D-1 basketball and Coach Wojcik's system.

It will be fun to assess both teams this summer.... as much as you can at a venue like Champions. The TU fans should have patience; the players coming in will need to get used to D-1 basketball and Coach Wojcik's system.

I agree, but one thing we already know is there has been an upgrade in talent, even if you base it simply ion these guys HS credentials.

If we get this fourth guy we are looking at today, it will be even more fun waiting on next fall.

Gotta book

See ya in June/July

I can't act like i'm happy for TU just because they signed a couple of quality recruits. As long as both programs remain in D-1, their seasons will always be compared with each others to determine who was the most successful.

I have nothing against the fans or graduates of TU. Many of them are my friends and are good people. However, the competitor in me doesn't want to give up that edge. I saw many of my friends from TU go through the same thing these past 3 years. I would invite them to our home games and the Mid-Con tournament, and while they smiled they confessed they couldn't watch without feeling the sharp pain of resentment because of how things were going down on 11th and Harvard. I couldn't blame them. Part of me invited them on purpose so I could see their expressions when the salt rubbed in their wounds.

Some people are different. They can celebrate the success of their in-city rival. Not me. Might of been how I was raised. Athletic allegiances ran deep on their own, but when it came down to local teams battling it out it always seemed like it was so much more than sports. Lines were drawn and you could cross that line with anyone except that neighboring school. It was either North Carolina or Duke. Whatever color blue you were ran thicker than anything else (except God and family). When I decided to come to ORU and learned that TU existed, the shades of blue changed (navy vs. royal) but the feelings stayed the same. Still that way now, and doubt it will ever change.

I also have some TU grad friends that I have invited to ORU home games, and they show NO interest in coming.

And they are the decent TU fans.

In some ways, I would say that most ORU fans would be happy for both teams to be successful, but the driving force between the rivalry is that most TU fans don't feel the same way about ORU, because MANY (NOT ALL) TU fans have been SMUG toward ORU!

Why have the last 3 year's of the Mayor's Cup rivalry been so sweet? Because now those same TU fans cannot deny that it is a legitimate rivalry.

That is why I will cheer for TU football, but it is becoming more difficult for me to cheer for TU basketball (when not playing ORU), even though I have on many occasions in the past.

I can't act like i'm happy for TU just because they signed a couple of quality recruits. As long as both programs remain in D-1, their seasons will always be compared with each others to determine who was the most successful.

I have nothing against the fans or graduates of TU. Many of them are my friends and are good people. However, the competitor in me doesn't want to give up that edge. I saw many of my friends from TU go through the same thing these past 3 years. I would invite them to our home games and the Mid-Con tournament, and while they smiled they confessed they couldn't watch without feeling the sharp pain of resentment because of how things were going down on 11th and Harvard. I couldn't blame them. Part of me invited them on purpose so I could see their expressions when the salt rubbed in their wounds.

Some people are different. They can celebrate the success of their in-city rival. Not me. Might of been how I was raised. Athletic allegiances ran deep on their own, but when it came down to local teams battling it out it always seemed like it was so much more than sports. Lines were drawn and you could cross that line with anyone except that neighboring school. It was either North Carolina or Duke. Whatever color blue you were ran thicker than anything else (except God and family). When I decided to come to ORU and learned that TU existed, the shades of blue changed (navy vs. royal) but the feelings stayed the same. Still that way now, and doubt it will ever change.

It's funny how the rivalry works. I think you're very right that geography makes it a whole lot more hostile and much more interesting, especially when a couple of players like Green can make the difference. It's cool though -- I'd rather have rivals like ORU, Wichita State, and SMU than some agricultural school in California that wantonly breaks every NCAA rule (although, Fresno was also a very "interesting" rival) or a completely off the wall team (and continent, for that matter) like Hawaii.

Champions will be fun this summer, assuming we play.

You bring up an interesting point Gold*. What are the benefits of paying in Champions League? It's good for the fans.

It's a way to keep the players in shape, get the younger players exposure to what they might need to work on, and to entertain the fans. The drawbacks are the bad habits some players develop, the lack of defense, the risk of injury, and too much analysis from the fans. It seems like, at one point, JP banned us from talking about Champions games because the players read the boards.