NCAA Sweet Sixteen: #15 ORU vs. #3 Arkansas

Old Titan

They now have the full game, Sweet 16 matchup of ORU/Arkansas, on You tube.  It was fun to watch except for the last couple of minutes.  ORU really had that game in its hands and just could not finish the Hogs off.  If Max does return next year, then he needs to work on his last second game winning shots.  He missed one at South Dakota and of course the one in the Sweet 16.  We still love you Max!

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

If Max does return next year, then he needs to work on his last second game winning shots.  He missed one at South Dakota and of course the one in the Sweet 16.  We still love you Max!

Yeah, and Gal Gadot needs to learn how to cook... #smh

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

13 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

They now have the full game, Sweet 16 matchup of ORU/Arkansas, on You tube.  It was fun to watch except for the last couple of minutes.  ORU really had that game in its hands and just could not finish the Hogs off.  If Max does return next year, then he needs to work on his last second game winning shots.  He missed one at South Dakota and of course the one in the Sweet 16.  We still love you Max!

Guess we have to nitpick something about his game.:)  Very few players are able to create the type of look he got at the end of the Ark. game. I bet his coach will take that look with him taking that shot in that situation every single time. 

ORU played Ohio st, Florida and Arkansas in the tournament and Max was the best player on the court in those 3 games. Take a second and think about that. That is incredible. 

Arkansas started double teaming him at half court in 2nd half just to get the ball out of his hands. There is not a bigger sign of respect that an opposing coach can give than that. 

• Upvote 1

That's excellent analysis, DarrenJ and something that I hadn't really thought of....Max is a special player and yeah, ORU should have taken that Arkansas game....still, maybe it was for the best because Baylor was a special team....ORU-Baylor might have been fun to talk about for 2 days but the actual game might have been ugly.....do you think ORU could have hung around with the Bears???....😬

49 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

That's excellent analysis, DarrenJ and something that I hadn't really thought of....Max is a special player and yeah, ORU should have taken that Arkansas game....still, maybe it was for the best because Baylor was a special team....ORU-Baylor might have been fun to talk about for 2 days but the actual game might have been ugly.....do you think ORU could have hung around with the Bears???....😬

Eeehhh...:) Baylor's guards were REALLY good and very physical. Couldn't have done much worse against them than Arkansas did though!:)

Just saying that even great players can improve.  Max will hit those shots in the future.  I have confidence in him and the coaches will give him opportunites to win games at the end, if he decides to return.  Max hitting game winners will just take him to the next level of greatness.

Great players are never satifised, they always want to go to higher heights!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just saying that even great players can improve.  Max will hit those shots in the future.  I have confidence in him and the coaches will give him opportunites to win games at the end, if he decides to return.  Max hitting game winners will just take him to the next level of greatness.

Great players are never satifised, they always want to go to higher heights!

I will give you credit in that you just doubled down on the statement!:) Wow. 

Hard to simulate last second shots but regardless, and this is my opinion, but I think KO is the most clutch player on the team. That last second put back against SDSU and the free throws and subsequent overtime versus Ohio state were cold blooded! To sink all those free throws with the pressure on, playing the whole game, and getting checked all night by an nba level talent in Liddel is so impressive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I apologize if what I said made people angry or upset.  That was never the intention.  I was not trying to attack Max or blame him for the loss.  Hope it did not come across that way.

Voice calling it like it is.....lol.....all good, KH....we know what you meant....TheEagleman would have loved to see how Mills and Co. would have fared vs. Baylor.....that's a great team to state the obvious....😉

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I apologize if what I said made people angry or upset.  That was never the intention.  I was not trying to attack Max or blame him for the loss.  Hope it did not come across that way.

I don't think anyone took it that way. Just think you have to stop and look at those 3 games and the season as a whole and be very thankful for what was accomplished. 

I for one cannot remember a top 25 team having to basically double team a guy as soon as he crosses half court because they didn't have an answer for him. Which is what Arkansas did to Max who happens to play at ORU.:) That to me is just amazing. Someone come up with another small school guard that happened to? Not Bryce Drew, Nobody from Butler. Did that happen to Steph Curry when he was at Davidson? 

Not to mention he never takes a break!:) Nor does it ever look like he is tired. 🙂  Can't imagine how that is possible!

I agree Darren. No one on Ohio State, Florida or Arkansas could keep up with Max! Also most good shooters as they get fatigued their shooting percentage goes down, but not our beloved Midcourt Max! He plays 40-45 minutes and he doesn't miss a beat! That is a testament to his conditioning and work ethic!!

I remember teams (conference foes) face guarding and double teaming Curry when he was at Davidson. Not sure they were the big schools though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going back and looking at the play by play of this game: ORU lead for right around 30 minutes of the game and never trailed by more than four.  They were in control most of the game, leading by as much as 12 in the second half.  K.O. also had an open three with the score 69-70 and about 35 seconds left in the game.  So close!