NCAA Sweet Sixteen: #15 ORU vs. #3 Arkansas

Old Titan

“Woooooo....Pig.....Soowie - RAZORBACKS!!”

LOVE the Hogs in this one - I just gotta feeling!!

#We’reGoingStreakingWe’reGoingStreaking

• Haha 1

Arkansas will be a tough game but Obanor and Abmas finally get some rest and should be refreshed for the sweet 16!

• Like 1

With what has happened in the last 2 games anything is possible. If we play like we have during the big dance thus far  we can hang with and beat Arkansas! Go Eagles!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

With what has happened in the last 2 games anything is possible. If we play like we have during the big dance thus far  we can hang with and beat Arkansas! Go Eagles!

For sure! Only the 2nd #15 seed to ever make it this far and I think ORU is better than Florida Gulf Coast was. Stay Golden!

An opportunity for sweet redemption and the Elite 8 after blowing that 2nd half lead at Arkansas!

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

“Woooooo....Pig.....Soowie - RAZORBACKS!!”

LOVE the Hogs in this one - I just gotta feeling!!

#We’reGoingStreakingWe’reGoingStreaking

👏

OT, you're the real MVP!

Never stop, OT!

Looks like we're at Bankers Life next Saturday at 6:25 Central,on TBS:

Edited by ORUTex
clarified game time

Woohoo! I just subscribed to TSN Direct up here in Canada and will be able to watch this game! I am so excited!

ORU is +11.5 in the opening line vs. Arkansas.....that's big....Hogs beat us by 11 in December in Fayetteville.....Go Blue!  :circle-logoi:

Hogs have really turned their season around.  They looked bad in January after losing by 31 to Alabama (2-4 in conference) and the Tide emptied the bench with about ten minutes to go.  Arkansas is a very unselfish team (15 assists a game) and they have 4 or 5 guys who can beat you on any given night.  Their freshman have really improved too.  How does ORU beat them?  Just with what we have said all year: defense.  Coach Mills might try mixing in the zone defense on Saturday night because at times Arkansas has really struggled with their three point shooting.  Just a thought.

I'm a crushed Illini fan - I have one set of 4 tickets to ORU vs. Ark Section 231 Row 9 Seats 15-18. I've listed on Ticketmaster for $184/each. TM will charge you $42 fee per ticket and me $26. I will sell direct for total = $628 = $157/each.  I also have for Mon Mar 29: 3 sets of 4 to Elite 8 South (Unity) - in 533/537/637 - and one set to Elite 8 North (Equality) 402. If interested please email me at oldgazelle2013@gmail.com - I will provide my phone number and a screenshot of my TM account listing. 

Our game against y'all back in December was pretty close. Curious how your team has changed since then?

From our side, we no longer play Vanover (9 minutes in our first game with ORU), Sills (34 minutes), or Jackson (10 minutes) very much. Davonte Davis (9 minutes) and Jaylin Williams (0 minutes) absorbed those minutes.

These changes have made us a much better defensive, more high energy team.

Davis (#4) always seems to provide a spark when we need it. He provides us with so much energy and plays smothering defense when needed (see the end of the Texas Tech game). He will take some of Sills (#3) minutes from the first game. In our first game against ORU, the two combined for 43 minutes, 16 points, 11 boards, 2 steals, and 2 TO's. I expect similar production from Davis this game, but he will provide a big improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

Williams (#10) has become a good, reliable rebounder for us, and he is great at finding guys cutting to the basket for easy layups/dunks. Williams didn't play at all against ORU in December. He will be taking Vanover (#23) and Jackson's (#2) minutes (as noted above). Jackson and Vanover combined for 19 minutes, 8 points, 7 rebounds, 1 steal, and 0 TO's against ORU in December. Williams will likely put up similar numbers but plays better within the offense. His defense is OK, similar to what Vanover and Jackson's.

Smith (#0) has been a stud all year. He missed a few games in early January. We are 1-4 without him, 23-2 when he is in the lineup. Pretty remarkable. He is an excellent "Garbage man". He plays extremely hard and is always in position for easy putbacks. He's a veteran player and a big difference maker for us. He missed our first game against Alabama, and we lost 59-90. He played in our second game against Alabama, and we won 81-66. Similar story against LSU. He played 39 minutes against ORU in December with 22 points, 17 rebounds, 2 steals, and 3 TO's. I'd expect similar production from him this go around (probably not 17 boards though. That's quite a bit).

Our wildcard has to be Notae (#1). He will likely come off the bench. He can score 27 like he did against Missouri in the SECT and hit shots from nearly half court OR he can go 2-11 from the field and have 3 TO's like he did against Texas Tech on Sunday. He's very hot/cold. He's played below average so far dating back to the game against LSU in the SECT. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a big day since it feels like he is "due". He played 30 minutes against ORU the first time with 15 points, 5 rebounds, a steal, and 2 TO's. This seems pretty average. I could see a duplicate of this performance.

40 minutes ago, WPS1993 said:

Our game against y'all back in December was pretty close. Curious how your team has changed since then?

I think an emphasis on ball security and defensive intensity has certainly been a change.

This will be a very tough game for ORU not just because of Arkansas' talent but Coach Musselman probably has more experience of breaking down the pick and roll/pop than any coach in college basketball (going against it for so many years in the NBA).

Game flow from the match up vs Arkansas early in the year.

spacer.png

I think neither team is the same as they were earlier in the season. As you mentioned, Arkansas’ lineup has changed and so has ours. ORU is now playing defense - which we weren’t when we played you.