Publicity (March Madness 2021)

ORUTerry

43 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

It’s not related to any conference news...

2021-22 schedule??

Again, if/when these "big announcements" are made known can someone share them on here for all of us who do not live anywhere near Tulsa and who do not subscribe to the Tulsa World or whatever?

Don’t worry, it will be shared and talked about. I’m not trying to over hype this, but can’t discuss it before the stories are out. Some people already know the information because it was revealed to those at the Champions dinner Thursday night. (I wasn’t there, but heard about it afterwards.)

Oh, this is fun! I'll take a couple of guesses at what I think one of the headlines may be: 

1. Conley Phipps returning to the ORU sidelines as an assistant coach!
  2. ORU signs former Kansas Jayhawk guard Bryce Thompson!
  3. ORU signs former Gonzaga Bulldog center Oumar Ballo!

The first guess may not be "big" news, but Conley is a great teacher and would be an asset on our staff if an existing coach moved on. 😉

ORU Terry is right.  I was at the dinner and it is very exciting news! The direction ORU is headed is extremely positive.  I dont say this lightly because for years we have all wished this but the pieces are falling into place for ORU to become a consistently strong basketball school. Tim Johnson seems to be a great replacement as AD and we finally have a coach that is the right fit for ORU! The future looks bright! 

• Upvote 1

Okay, guys . . . I can hardly stand the sense of anticipation. Today is my birthday. Hearing some great news would make a lovely present!

• Upvote 1

Happy birthday Ron! We were told not to say anything until the news goes public but look at it this way your birthday surprises will be extended thru Monday! It will be worth it!

12 minutes ago, ron said:

Wow! Just Wow!

haha...i was just joking.

no clue what's coming other than the new athletic center that Wilson announced last week

HBD Ron!!!🎂🎂🎂🎂

4 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

haha...i was just joking.

no clue what's coming other than the new athletic center that Wilson announced last week

HBD Ron!!!🎂🎂🎂🎂

If I weren't so used to fake news, I would be really shaken right now. 😃 I better just go back to being patient. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

...and buried in this release is a teaser for the big press conference Monday, and subsequent Tulsa World story on Tuesday:

The ORU Board of Trustees also established that the building of a new athletic center shall be named in honor of Mike Carter.  The new facility will be constructed next to the Mabee Center, part of a comprehensive retro-fitting of the Mabee Center. It will contain two regulation basketball courts, a 10,000 square foot strength and conditioning space, accommodate the ELI Academic Learning Center, team meeting rooms, and office space for athletic department staff. 

• Like 1

ORU sports coming out of the dark ages and into the 21st Century....TheEagleman is proud to be an alum....😁🏀😁

EDIT: really good convo if you have an hour....more on Springmann's story and good discussion on the transfer portal...

...Wade Mason unloads on getting players jacked by high majors and Springmann mentions that Max was being recruited by high majors in Feb even before the team's run late in the year

• Upvote 1

I wasn't sure where to put this on the board, so here it goes. I was at baseball practice yesterday at a Christian School in Northwest Houston and our head basketball coach came over to watch for a few minutes. I hadn't seen him since March Madness has been over, so I asked him what he thought of my ORU Golden Eagles making the run in the tournament. He preceded to tell me that he has known coach Mills for a long time and that they were great friends. So we talked for a couple of minutes about beating Ohio State and Florida and then he pulled out his phone and called Coach Mills right there on the field. It was really cool. Coach Mills answered and said he had a meeting with a player so he couldn't talk but would call him back tomorrow. 

Anyway it was really cool experience to hear Coach Mills (speaker phone) and to know that our basketball coach knows him.

Bretzy

92' - Am Herratz

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3