Summit League Tourney Finals - ORU vs. NDSU

Old Titan

So, let’s see:  I picked UND to cover vs. ORU in the first round, and the Golden Eagles won “STRAIGHT UP!!”

Then, I picked SDSU to cover vs. ORU in the semis, and ORU won “STRAIGHT UP!!”

Never mess with a streak:  Bison to cover (whatever the number may be).  #HeatCheck

• Haha 1

My guess is the Bison will go big (Kreuser & Nelson) and try to withstand ORU shooting a bunch of outside shots on the third day.

If Mills stays with the same plan of getting to the rim (and the line) I like our chances.

9pm EST on ESPN2 tonight...Good Guys vs. the Bison...biggest game for ORU in a decade...Vegas has the game dead EVEN with an O/U  of 145.5......should be a real good one....:shield-logo:vs. :NDSU:

Wonder which referees are calling the game tonight? The crew (Yorkovich ) on the SD vs NDSU game were whistle happy. NDSU shot 31 free throws (made 24) and SD shot 22 (made 15). 

This is an even match up.....they split the regular season pair in Fargo last month and both teams playing for the 3rd night in a row.....it's going to come down to 3 point shooting, turnovers and who wants it more....NDSU goes to the dance every other year or so....ORU hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament in 13 years.....Good Guys have won 4 in a row and coming off a huge high last night....if they can come down to earth and play some D and shoot decently....well, TheEagleman is tending towards ORU....Max is due for a BIG GAME.....national TV tonight....it's our time.....ORU 80  NDSU  75....GO BLUE!  :hc_mills::tb-white::k_obanor:

• Like 1

ORU has some serious momentum going  and that is big! I think the good guys will prevail and go to the big dance! This team seems hungry and the supporting cast has been a huge help! ORU 82-78

Of course it would be off the charts to see ORU win tonight but Coach Richman is so tough in these kind of games to go agaisnt.  NDSU has won eight straight Summit League tourney games with many of these same players.  Would expect the Bison to turn it into a grind game and not run with ORU as the Jacks did.  The Eagles win or lose have had a great season.  Tonight's winner has the joy of most likely playing undefeated 1 ranked Gonaza or number 2 Baylor!  smile

ORU vs. Baylor?!?!?!.....oh be still my heart.....wonder what color shirt Coach Mills would wear?....😉:hc_mills:😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Wonder which referees are calling the game tonight? The crew (Yorovich) on the SD vs NDSU game were whistle happy. NDSU shot 31 free throws (made 24) and SD shot 22 (made 15). 

It doesn’t matter. All Summit League officials are horrible. Every...Stinking...One of them. 

14 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Of course it would be off the charts to see ORU win tonight but Coach Richman is so tough in these kind of games to go agaisnt.  NDSU has won eight straight Summit League tourney games with many of these same players.  Would expect the Bison to turn it into a grind game and not run with ORU as the Jacks did.  The Eagles win or lose have had a great season.  Tonight's winner has the joy of most likely playing undefeated 1 ranked Gonaza or number 2 Baylor!  smile

Whoever plays against one of the top two teams would first play in one of the two 16 vs. 16 play-in games.  I don't know whether the ORU/NDSU winner would fall into the bottom four teams in the tourney.  Possible, but I would think it more likely to be a high 16 (no play-in game) or a low 15...

Still, the prospect of ORU/Baylor is enticing...😂

I've always felt that, should a No. 16 Seed be your fate, a play-in game was the way to go:  a chance at an NCAA tournament game win (though some would say with an asterisk), and a whole lot of publicity.  You have the stage all to yourself in the college basketball world for that Tuesday or Wednesday night game.

(funny how the No. 12 or 11 Seeds that compete in the play-in games never seem to share the same stigma of the game "not counting" as an NCAA win.  The No. 12's this year could be some real blue blood brands:  Louisville, Michigan State, Syracuse, etc.)

Joey Brackets has NDSU as a 16 seed facing Michigan in the first round.  Their are still quite a few mid major tournaments to be played and maybe a few lower seeded teams could win those, thus bumping up the winner of tonight's game to say a 15 seed.

Look for NDSU to play both Kreuser (6’10”) and Nelson (6’10”) a lot and pound the ball down low. Besides looking to score, they will also attempt to get Obanor in foul trouble. It will be interesting to see if we attempt to use a zone again and pack the interior. Could we also see more use of Clover & Plet to deal with their height? Everyone on the bench better be ready to contribute. 

A few interesting takeaways from the stats of our split season series with NDSU:

In the loss, we shot 30.3% from inside the arc.  In the win the following day, we shot 52.9% on 2 pt FG.  Huge difference...  I like our chances of being closer to 53% than 30%.

Turnover Margin:  Win - NDSU had 7 more (4-11); Loss - Even at 12 a piece.  Our defense needs to create turnovers.  If we play defense like the last two nights, we should be fine in this categpry.

DeShang Weaver played a combined 43 minutes in the two games - and DID NOT SCORE in either game.  Based upon the first two games of the tourney, he could be our X-factor tonight.

Free throws: Win 17-19; Loss 1-2.  This is a bit slanted, in that ten of the FTs were in the final two minutes when NDSU was fouling in an attempt to lengthen the game.  But, it is clear we need to get to and score some points from the line.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that free throw attempt disparity (2 for ORU vs 21 for NDSU) is a real head scratcher... Typical officiating in the Dakotas. 

NDSU can go cold from the field in some games. Let’s hope tonight is one of those times. Conditioning is going to play a big part in who wins this game. 

The Bison will try to dictate pace - slowing the game down.  We need to get a lead and make them play our game.... or beat them at theirs. 

Clover is hurt and is not currently available to play so Plet would be the option to play low post defense along with Obanor.  I hope to see Plet in there a decent amount tonight.

On a side note: Oakland (12-17) plays Cleveland State (18-7) in the Horizon League finals.  I wonder if Kampe will be able to pull off another low seed upset and make the NCAA tournament.