ORU at Denver Fri/Game 1

theeagleman5

ORU travels to the Mile High City to face Denver U. on Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon....the Pioneers aren't very good and haven't won any games vs. D-1 competition and are at the bottom of the Summit League.....ORU sits 4th at 3-1 (6-6) and needs to sweep this weekend to stay in the hunt for a top 2 or 3 spot in the regular season....TheEagleman feels that we are surely the better team and should win both games but have concerns about the altitude especially in the 2nd game on Saturday.....ORU is going to have to use more than 8 players or our guys could be sucking wind by the 2nd half in game two....Coach Mills will need to rotate at least 10 guys IMHO....but let's see how it plays out on Friday afternoon.....we still have 3 days to talk it over.....Go Blue!...:tb-blue:

Denver looked like they mailed it in after their opener vs. South Dakota, losing by an average of 30 in the two games.  They have had two weeks off to try and get things together.  Have a feeling if they do not improve, their coach is about to be fired.  Denver has had some injuries so maybe by now they have all hands on deck.  I live about an hour from Denver and have never figured out why they cannot recurit better.  The Pioneers are in a big city, with great mountains/outdoor adventures and big sports town (Broncos and Nuggets).   College sports just does not seem to mix here in Colorado.  Denver does not play much defense so as OT says, first one to 85 wins!

The 400-lb gorilla in the room:  the Pioneers probably couldn't care less about the season at this point, and they've been left to their own devices in the Mile High City the past two weeks. 

Would they not appear at first glance to be the poster children for a potential COVID protocol opt-out in the next 48 hours?

On 1/12/2021 at 10:15 PM, Old Titan said:

The 400-lb gorilla in the room:  the Pioneers probably couldn't care less about the season at this point, and they've been left to their own devices in the Mile High City the past two weeks. 

Would they not appear at first glance to be the poster children for a potential COVID protocol opt-out in the next 48 hours?

ORUMBB is apparently en route to Denver today (Thursday), so it looks like these two teams were able to dodge the pandemic bullet this week (unlike Omaha/SDSU and UMKC/Western Illinois, who saw their respective weekend doubleheaders scrapped due to COVID protocol).

Now, on to the next hurdle:  the Golden Eagles are 0-7 all-time playing at Denver; winning two games in the Mile High City within 24 hours would be noteworthy in program history, no matter how bad the Pioneers may appear to be this season.

If my memory is correct, wasn't it the game last year at Denver that saw ORU have a colossal collapse in the last minute or so of the game that sent into overtime where ORU ended up losing?

And I believe that Max played some type of role in that collapse with a freshman mistake.....wasn't it where ORU was up 3 and Max fouled someone taking a 3? I'm sure my details are off, but anyway, my point is that I feel like Max is going to go off on Denver this weekend to make amends for last year.

I really feel like ORU will win both by double digits! 

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Now, on to the next hurdle:  the Golden Eagles are 0-7 all-time playing at Denver

That's unbelievable!

Denver is 1-8 and 0-2 in conference play. They lost badly in both games with South Dakota on the road. But their three previous games at home against Northern Colorado (75-83), Texas State (68-70) and Northern Arizona (65-68) were relatively close. 

The Pioneers are shooting 43.8% from the field (32.7% in conference play) and 32.4% from the 3-point line (29.8% in conference)

They have a -2.7 rebound margin (-13.0 in conference) and commit an average of 15.9 turnovers per game. 

Townsend (6-3, Jr) leads the team in scoring (17.4 ppg) - shooting 42% from the field and 28% from the 3 point line. He grab 4.2 rebounds per game. 

Hines (6-6, Fr) scores 9.4 ppg on 41% fg% and 18% from the 3-point arc. He is averaging 5.5 rebounds per game. 

The Pioneers have three post players:  Jones (6-10, So); Ryder (6-10, Sr); Green (6-9, Fr)

47 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

That's unbelievable!

Yep, and almost all of those losses were to not-very-good teams. 

ORU is -10 in a place they havent won. Not sure even a crazy Eagleman wants to touch that....O/U is 154....might take Denver and Under...😬

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU is -10 in a place they havent won. Not sure even a crazy Eagleman wants to touch that....O/U is 154....might take Denver and Under...😬

It all hinges on how the Pioneers spent the past two weeks:  working hard to prepare for ORU, or minimizing their time together on the floor to avoid COVID issues.

Good point....who knows?....but TheEagleman does know that ORU has the better talent and should win...I just cant put money on a 1-8 team....i will sleep on it but will probably reverse my previous thoughts....probably little or no defense in this game....ORU 89 Denver 77. Go Blue! 😁🏀😁

57 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Reminder:  Friday’s game tips-off at 1:00pm Central time. 

..... why?

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Reminder:  Friday’s game tips-off at 1:00pm Central time. 

Will there be video streaming?

Noon MST is certainly an odd time for a Friday start. But, since no/few fans will attend anyway, and with a 24 turnaround to game #2, it will allow ORU the opportunity to travel back to Tulsa on Saturday evening.   So, I guess there are some advantages with the early start.